Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/13/2015 4:48:35 PM EDT
Looking for an optic for my first FAL.

I will be using a stripper clip DSA mount that will need to stay clear and completely functional.

I'd like to have something low to the rail like a aim point.

If I can find something that works Id like some magnification.

ETA: I finally got my stripper clip dust cover in and put some optics on it to see how much space they would take up. Heres what I had on hand.

Link Posted: 6/13/2015 6:52:20 PM EDT
[#1]
magnification is going to be tricky if you plan on keeping the stripper clip dust cover.
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 8:58:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I know. You don't see a lot of the stripper clip mounts so I was hoping someone might have some pictures stashed away or tried it themselves. I know I could prob do a 1-4 or 1-6 on fixed rings.

Maybe.
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 10:09:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I used a 1-4 CMR on mine and it will cover the stripper clip area. I guess you could push it back, but you'd be riding the comb of the stock with your cheek

How would you mount the optic? Does your cover have a rail?
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 11:02:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's a few pictures of the stripper clip top cover

Link Posted: 6/13/2015 11:34:49 PM EDT
[#5]
RMR

No magnification for you
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 12:21:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I never like aimpoints but I'm thinking a T2 and magnifier might work
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 9:11:39 PM EDT
[#7]
one of the compact ACOGs might fit behind the stripper clip cutout. Maybe.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 10:00:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

TA33 would probably be your best solution, unless you wanna give the TA31 a go.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 3:16:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The TA-33 can definitely be mounted such as to allow the use of chargers.  It's also light, which is a big plus on a FAL, which needs as little extra weight added to it as possible.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 7:22:22 PM EDT
[#10]
But then you got to figure out how to mount it if you don't want to have a chin wield.

I think an ACOG is a perfect optic for a robust, minute of man gun like an FAL, but the stripper guide mount means it will sit up pretty high. Heaven help you if OP is also running a Para.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 9:42:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
But then you got to figure out how to mount it if you don't want to have a chin wield.

I think an ACOG is a perfect optic for a robust, minute of man gun like an FAL, but the stripper guide mount means it will sit up pretty high. Heaven help you if OP is also running a Para.
View Quote

Will be running a ACR Enhanced stock
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 1:51:20 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You sunnuvabitch.

Nice.

Compact acog would be the way I'd go then if it will fit.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 2:37:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Why do you absolutely have to run the stripper clip style?

Just curious, I've run them both with, and without. Only way I could get a magnified optic with decent eye relief was to run a standard cover. If you do find something that works for you, post it up, I'm sure lots of us would like to see it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 7:33:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Just curious, I've run them both with, and without. Only way I could get a magnified optic with decent eye relief was to run a standard cover. If you do find something that works for you, post it up, I'm sure lots of us would like to see it.
View Quote

Based on the earlier pics, I'm guessing (and it's only a guess) that it's to do with ban-state legal compliance. Might not want to do something like a bullet button type device, I suppose.
If not, I'm just as baffled, because it does seem like compliance with use of clips does limit options pretty sharply.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 5:30:48 PM EDT
[#15]
IOR M1 and M2 military fixed 4x are awesome for FALs and an FAL really needs a tough durable scope
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 10:14:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because I like strippers
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 7:38:07 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Because I like strippers
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Because I like strippers
and in reality, who doesn't really?

Looking forward to seeing your solution OP

Link Posted: 6/19/2015 2:13:29 PM EDT
[#18]
The Burris 332 or 536 sights for the AR are short enough to work, and are magnified (3x and 5x, respectively).
They are significantly less expensive than the TA-33; whether they are sufficiently robust is another question entirely, one to which I do not have an answer.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 5:52:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Based on the earlier pics, I'm guessing (and it's only a guess) that it's to do with ban-state legal compliance. Might not want to do something like a bullet button type device, I suppose.
If not, I'm just as baffled, because it does seem like compliance with use of clips does limit options pretty sharply.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

With a bullet button it's still more practical to reload using chargers.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 12:37:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Figure it'd be easier to use stripper clips the. Loading individual rounds into the mag.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 2:46:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Here's an example of a TA_33 on a FAL I saw last week.  Notice that the ACOG as mounted stays back far enough to be able to clear a charger guide if this rifle had been equipped with that scope mount instead of the one pictured.

Link Posted: 6/20/2015 2:49:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Figure it'd be easier to use stripper clips the. Loading individual rounds into the mag.
View Quote

The bullet button lets you reload using magazines.  But trying to use a tool can be rather awkward and can be an issue if it needs to be done under stress.  Reloading that way is still superior to trying to load individual cartridges through the ejection port, though.  Reloading using chargers is definitely superior to both, especially if you can find good quality 10-round chargers (the Chinese-made ones I bought sucked, as the rounds would bind or want to come loose; the FN ones I tried worked fine).
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 7:11:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The bullet button lets you reload using magazines.  But trying to use a tool can be rather awkward and can be an issue if it needs to be done under stress.  Reloading that way is still superior to trying to load individual cartridges through the ejection port, though.  Reloading using chargers is definitely superior to both, especially if you can find good quality 10-round chargers (the Chinese-made ones I bought sucked, as the rounds would bind or want to come loose; the FN ones I tried worked fine).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The bullet button will be expoxied so the magazine cannot be released.

There is nothing in the law defining perminant.

The closest thing we have is a local gun shop was selling AR lowers and rifles with collapsible stocks button with a billet button so the magazine is "fixed".

The NYSP deemed it to not be a fixed mag and demanded the records of everyone e who bought a rifle or lower with a bullet button under threat of a swat team raid.

The local DA told a newspaper that if the bullet button was epoxied then they would not been considered assault weapons.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 9:00:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Then yeah, you definitely need a charger guide.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 2:51:20 AM EDT
[#25]
BTW, are you saying that the bullet button will be permanently attached or that the magazine will be permanently attached?  If the latter, what exactly is being epoxied to accomplish that goal and how does the bullet button shroud fit in?
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 2:55:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
BTW, are you saying that the bullet button will be permanently attached or that the magazine will be permanently attached?  If the latter, what exactly is being epoxied to accomplish that goal and how does the bullet button shroud fit in?
View Quote

I will have the bullet button install then filled in with epoxy.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 3:50:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So it basically uses the epoxy to block the magazine release?  Is the bullet button still removable at that point?
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 12:29:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

So it basically uses the epoxy to block the magazine release?  Is the bullet button still removable at that point?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct the mag release essentily becomes fixed. I have t looked at it yet but from what I can tell the epoxy would have to be removed in order to remove the bullet button.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top