Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/5/2015 2:22:26 PM EDT
A guy I know has inherited an original Belgium FN FAL parts kit...only missing the receiver.  

Can I get a ballpark on what you guys think the value might be?
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 9:10:17 PM EDT
[#1]
It can depend on condition and a number of other details (such as whether or not it has alloy parts, what type it is, other parts variations, whether or not all serial numbers match, etc.).  A complete matching Belgian kit in decent condition will bring some coin these days, regardless.

A picture or more detailed description of the kit would be helpful.
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 1:52:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It can depend on condition and a number of other details (such as whether or not it has alloy parts, what type it is, other parts variations, whether or not all serial numbers match, etc.).  A complete matching Belgian kit in decent condition will bring some coin these days, regardless.

A picture or more detailed description of the kit would be helpful.
View Quote

Thx for the response.  It was one of the G-series imports, condition is like new.
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 10:27:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm interested in hearing how a G series import turned into a parts kit.
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 11:41:58 PM EDT
[#4]
It's an interesting, or more accurately...sad story.  The guy inherited a collection from his father, and the FAL was among those items.  Apparently the selector switch was not blocked, and there was no Class 3 paperwork anywhere to be found, therefore the receiver had to be destroyed.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 1:46:45 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

It's an interesting, or more accurately...sad story.  The guy inherited a collection from his father, and the FAL was among those items.  Apparently the selector switch was not blocked, and there was no Class 3 paperwork anywhere to be found, therefore the receiver had to be destroyed.
View Quote
well, that was a screw up.

I guess we can reduce the number of G's here by one....

Link Posted: 6/11/2015 12:58:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, there may have been 2 screw-ups...

(not that it helps any to say that now)
The selector by itself doesn't determine if a FAL is a machinegun. In the case of a G series, neither does the receiver. So in their case, it's just a question of the function, and "collection of parts" which affect the status.
This is a very rare "classification" scenario here in the US, but it could have been of great benefit to said heir, because even if someone did convert it to select-fire by swapping parts, that was all they physically did. The receivers of a select-fire FAL and a G series import are the same. That's why ATF determined (after import) that they should have been considered "machineguns," and subsequently exempted them from being machineguns if they are not select-fire capable.
You couldn't get into any more trouble by swapping it back than you could by destroying it. Possession is possession. Select-fire parts can be traded out very quickly. If it isn't your fault they were installed, and you don't have them anymore, then it's probably not your fault (unless you found out and didn't do something about it).
Here's a worst-to-best-case scenario: (all one case lol)...

Guy has a G series FAL whose serial number is on the BATFE exemption list (which if I'm not mistaken is each and every officially-imported one). He obtains select-fire components and swaps them out, which is ILLEGAL. He now illegally possesses a machinegun. He dies. Heir obtains machinegun, but only knows it's a G series FAL. Then he realizes it is select-fire. Heir brings it to [his friend, or a local Class II or III SOT]. They inform him it is in an unlawful configuration. Action is taken to rectify the problem. (Either the SOT trades him some semi-auto parts for the installed parts, or the friend swaps them and does not own any FAL himself, or they go straight into the nearest dumpster, etc.) Another form of corrective action is, of course, to destroy the receiver. Then you are short one G series FAL, which is obviously irreplaceable due to its unique physical and legal condition.
I'm not saying that would all be 100% completely legal; I'm just saying it wouldn't be any more legal to destroy the receiver and act like you never possessed a machinegun.
The ATF is not stupid. They know when people did things on purpose. So do lawyers, usually (on each side of the courtroom).
If it wasn't physically capable of select-fire AND got its receiver destroyed, well then that's just epic fail. A very tragic story indeed.
http://www.gseriesfal.com/

Link Posted: 6/11/2015 7:45:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Many factory metric selectors go to the FA position.
It does not make it a FA gun.
Even if the receiver is SEAR cut does NOT make it FA, Like said above.
Hope someone didn't turn $5K in to $1.5K.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 9:41:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm interested in hearing how a G series import turned into a parts kit.
View Quote

Circa 1989,  an importer (forgot which) had G Series kits for sale at a whopping $625.  I can still see the SGN ad in my mind.  Had a photo of a G from the front and the FN logo.   Keep in mind this was 2-3 times the price then of a used SP1.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top