Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/25/2015 4:57:22 PM EDT

Well I have been a HUGE fan of the FAL series, especially the Rhodesian guns and finally pulled the trigger on the first part.  I picked this up from a buddy that had purchased it several years ago and never had it built.

I guess I have a long way to go.  

I need a trigger guard (and screws); a pistol grip (and screw) and a rear sight.  Then I guess the lower is done (correct?).

I am going to purchase a type 2 DSA receiver (am I correct on that?).  Then I need the other main bits.  I understand original Rhodesian parts will be rather hard to find and I will have to settle on Belgium surplus pieces...which I am fine with.

Any of you experts and builders want to chime in, I am certainly in the learning mode and want to get this project moving along.

Cheers.

pics:

http://tinypic.com/r/sv5gnp/8

http://tinypic.com/r/14myx4y/8

http://tinypic.com/r/213gby0/8
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 6:31:18 PM EDT
[#1]
ETA:  NVM, get your own image tags.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 10:22:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Any metric parts will fit

http://www.gunthings.com/ or DSA will have the small parts you are looking for
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 9:04:46 AM EDT
[#3]
The trigger guard doesn't have any screws.  It's held in place by the pistol grip (notch in the front traps the back of the trigger guard).

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 11:27:58 AM EDT
[#4]
You may not have much, but you have something nice to work with so far! that's a nice looking rhodie lower. I want to do an R1 build myself, but looks like we both were late to the party. On falfiles you can find old posts of people building and selling all kinds of kits for dirt cheap prices by today's standards, with barrels, matching numbers and all.... anyway. If I was in your shoes I'd start looking around for a nice barrel. If you want a forged DSA lower you'll have to find an older one for sale, I recently learned that their new production receivers are being cast. Otherwise I'd personally tell you to look at Coonan for the receiver, lots of good reviews about them. I have an Imbel kit I'm going to build up on a Coonan reciever. One cool thing is, if you have a matching numbers kit they will do a custom serial for you. You'll have to look around to find the best stuff but you also won't have to look too terribly hard. Make an account over on the falfiles if you haven't already and post a WTB in the marketplace. Even if you're being really picky about what you put in your rifle, if you watch the marketplace and ask around over there you'll find what you need. Lots of wise people here too.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 2:50:00 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You may not have much, but you have something nice to work with so far! that's a nice looking rhodie lower. I want to do an R1 build myself, but looks like we both were late to the party. On falfiles you can find old posts of people building and selling all kinds of kits for dirt cheap prices by today's standards, with barrels, matching numbers and all.... anyway. If I was in your shoes I'd start looking around for a nice barrel. If you want a forged DSA lower you'll have to find an older one for sale, I recently learned that their new production receivers are being cast. Otherwise I'd personally tell you to look at Coonan for the receiver, lots of good reviews about them. I have an Imbel kit I'm going to build up on a Coonan reciever. One cool thing is, if you have a matching numbers kit they will do a custom serial for you. You'll have to look around to find the best stuff but you also won't have to look too terribly hard. Make an account over on the falfiles if you haven't already and post a WTB in the marketplace. Even if you're being really picky about what you put in your rifle, if you watch the marketplace and ask around over there you'll find what you need. Lots of wise people here too.
View Quote
DSA hasn't ever made forged lowers for F A L rifles.

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 5:33:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shoot... I had AR's on the brain. I meant upper.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 1:23:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Actually, try getting a Coonan 1.5 for that lower.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 11:34:53 AM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 5/30/2015 3:16:34 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted: DSA hasn't ever made forged lowers for F A L rifles.

A shot of penicillin will clear that up.

Link Posted: 5/30/2015 2:42:44 PM EDT
[#10]
ok...so I picked up a DSA receiver and some misc parts that I am going to need in the build.  I plan on sending the gun away to a FAL builder (Arizona Response Systems).

I have a question though:  What if I want a paratrooper stock instead of the fixed one on it now?   I know some mods must be made to the lower...correct?   What parts do I need?  I want to use this lower, not purchase another.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 8:04:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

ok...so I picked up a DSA receiver and some misc parts that I am going to need in the build.  I plan on sending the gun away to a FAL builder (Arizona Response Systems).
I have a question though:  What if I want a paratrooper stock instead of the fixed one on it now?   I know some mods must be made to the lower...correct?   What parts do I need?  I want to use this lower, not purchase another.
Thanks.
View Quote

You can use that lower. All that needs to be done to the lower is to remove the tang on the bottom rear that holds the fixed stock in place. Just cut the tang flush with the back of the lower and you are ready to mount a Para stock.

The upper needs to have a "Para cut" made so that the para top cover can slide fully forward. Some will argue that just cutting the "nose" off of a para top cover is sufficient and relieves the need for a para cut on the upper receiver. While this is true and will work, it makes disassembly for cleaning/maintenance more difficult as the "nose" on the top cover keeps the top cover from being launched from the upper when the rifle is broken open. Cutting a top cover makes it less valuable and making a para cut into an upper makes it more valuable.

Currently obtaining actual para recoil springs is very problematic. Make are that you want to make your rifle a para before you have the work done.

Para specific parts include:

Top cover

Bolt Carrier

Recoils springs with guide

Para stock assembly

Rear sight assembly

Link Posted: 5/31/2015 10:54:23 AM EDT
[#12]
I found on the one I did that just cutting the tang wasn't enough. It required a little bit of milling out also. At least when using a DSA para stock it did.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 1:08:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Do not destroy your R1 lower (trigger housing) by modifying it to accept a Para butt stock.

There is a limited supply of original R1 lowers.

I'm actually surprised anyone would recommend destroying a fixed stock lower when dedicated Para lowers are available.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 9:06:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Ditto that.  DO NOT DO THAT.

You can buy a DSA Picatinny para lower and parts for about $200-225.  It'll be lighter, you'll enjoy it more, AND you won't screw up a rare part.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top