Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/22/2015 10:29:31 PM EDT
So, I've worked out a deal with these guys: Pittsburgh Cerakote where they have agreed to do a complete custom cerakote job on 1 rifle of mine in exchange for me doing a YouTube Video of them with links and the whole 9 yards.  Win/Win.

So, I've had, sitting around for a couple decades an FN-FAL L1A1 which has been used, abused, used and abused some more.  It's in the worst (cosmetic) shape of any rifle I own and is just a visual embarrassment.  However, it's an amazing gun to shoot and a serious "reach out and touch someone" kind of rifle.  

Here are the "BEFORE" pictures of the gun - and after the job, I'll post the video and the AFTER photos as well:

So, yeah  - horrible aesthetic condition.  Still an amazing shooter and well worth the effort to bring her back into this millenia.   Not sure what the previous owner was thinking but it looks like they used a combination of high-temp stove paint and maybe some plasticised crap for that gray butt stock.  I never worried about cleaning it up because it was just too awesome to shoot.  But now with Cerakote - this thing is going to be new again.  

The filming will happen on the 30th of this month and hopefully, I'll have the editing done and the video uploaded a few days after that.

The idea is to do the following colors to the weapon:

Burnt Bronze, H-148Q

1)Charging Handle and stem
2)Magazine Release levers
3)Bolt-hold open lever
4)Trigger, trigger piston
5)Safety selector
6)Take-down lever
7)Rear sight (not sight rail)
8)All allen screws, screws, and pins (for whole weapon)
9)Butt Pad
10)Pistol Grip in-lay
11)Front Sight housing / Gas Block / Gas Plug / Gas Regulator
12)All Magazines

Graphite Black, H-146Q

1)Upper Receiver & Lower Receiver bases
2)Pistol Grip (except in-lay which is Burnt Bronze)
3)Rear sight rail
4)Charging handle plastic piece
5)Rear stock
6)Forward Grip
7)Quad Rails (except allen screws and pins which are Burnt Bronze)
8)Flash hider
9)Front sight blade

Crushed Silver, H-255

1)Bolt Carrier – Micro Slick
2)Bolt – Micro Slick
3)Sling points
4)Gas/piston tube
5)Barrel (except flash hider which is Graphite Black)
6)Heat Shield inside quad-rail

I will post the AFTER pictures and a link to the finished video after the 30th of May.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:59:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I think it looks good as is, anxious to see it refinished! Sounds like you're getting a hell of a deal for a few hours work youtube-ing! Awesome
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 8:17:43 AM EDT
[#2]
in for the reveal!
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 4:40:50 PM EDT
[#3]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL4gj2oQO68

Part 1 of the video is done and up!  

Let me know what you think
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 10:42:46 PM EDT
[#4]
made link hot:

ETA - maybe not...that video was about refinishing a suppressor...

Link Posted: 6/20/2015 7:46:54 PM EDT
[#5]
i have had great success with moly resin on my AK and FALs
if you dont get desired results with cerakote
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 9:04:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Actually, if that is a gray market, sear cut, LEO import L1A1, and the selector has clearly, by marks in the paint, been previously used with a L2 full auto selector, I'd delete this thread and all pics involved.

If it's NFA registered, I'd rock on!
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 3:53:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Good hell.
It took forever and it's not what I had envisioned, but it's what I had time to do.
I'm breaking down everything and packing for my move to Las Vegas - so this will be the last video I make until +/- September.

But here is the reveal video:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybaBHS0xPqc[/youtube]
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 3:57:32 PM EDT
[#8]
It's legal and don't worry about it.

ATF has been wishy washy about it but so far they have left it alone because of the unique setup of the L1A1, it was never fielded in any army as a FULL AUTO MACHINE GUN.

They were always semi automatic battle rifles and nothing else.

Also, it takes alot more work to make it go FA besides the selector.

Link Posted: 6/22/2015 12:55:36 AM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

ATF has been wishy washy about it but so far they have left it alone because of the unique setup of the L1A1, it was never fielded in any army as a FULL AUTO MACHINE GUN.

View Quote
I agree with the LEO import L1A1's, but you can clearly see where this one has been used with a full auto selector.  That's my point.   Not something I'd want to advertise.

Edited because the photos show I was clearly wrong.  There is no wear of the paint at the auto detent.   It's just REALLY crappy paint on it now.

I hope the owner knows that the rifle is worth over $3000 just because it's one of the holy grail LEO import ones.   I would hope the owner would restore and paint it as an original British rifle and get a parts gun to paint up fancy.

Link Posted: 6/23/2015 10:02:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I agree with the LEO import L1A1's, but you can clearly see where this one has been used with a full auto selector.  That's my point.   Not something I'd want to advertise.

Edited because the photos show I was clearly wrong.  There is no wear of the paint at the auto detent.   It's just REALLY crappy paint on it now.

I hope the owner knows that the rifle is worth over $3000 just because it's one of the holy grail LEO import ones.   I would hope the owner would restore and paint it as an original British rifle and get a parts gun to paint up fancy.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

About 1-2 Century imported L1A1 "semis" show up each month on the ATF's seizure list at forfeiture.gov.......they've been discussed over at the FAL files since I joined in '99......"grey area" is a bit more accurate than "holy grail"......

I'd love to own a real L1A1, but just can't bring myself to drop the $$$ on a sear-cut gun not on the amnestied list....
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 10:19:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

About 1-2 Century imported L1A1 "semis" show up each month on the ATF's seizure list at forfeiture.gov.......they've been discussed over at the FAL files since I joined in '99......"grey area" is a bit more accurate than "holy grail"......

I'd love to own a real L1A1, but just can't bring myself to drop the $$$ on a sear-cut gun not on the amnestied list....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I searched forfeiture.gov, I can't find any L1A1 rifles seized by ATF. They do seize a lot of guns and ammunition, mostly run of the mill stuff I assume related to convicted felon possession. I suspect that if they were actually making any effort to seize the LEO L1A1's, there would be a lot of chatter on the FAL files. And that hasn't happened. Just by looking at the descriptions of the seized firearms on that resource, it would be impossible to determine if a Century L1A1 they did take was LEO imported or some other variation Century manufactured with their own cast receiver, an Imbel or an Argentinian.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:59:22 AM EDT
[#12]
that is.... interesting
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top