Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2015 10:28:22 AM EDT
I have a DSA SA58 with what appears to be a 21" barrel and a long flash suppressor that is welded to the barrel. It has metal handguards and a bipod. I took the handguards off and there are markings on the barrel that I believe are Austrian proof marks. A DSA build from an Austrian kit??

I bought it about ten years ago and shot it maybe two hundred rounds.

I'm trying to decide if I want to sell it and move on to something else or have a gun smith shorten the barrel to the shortest length above sixteen inches that will maintain reliability. I really like the look of the carbine FALs. Not overly concerned about long range ballistics or precision accuracy. The longest distance I have available is 200 yards.

Like I said in the title, I have no idea what this thing is worth.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 3:16:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like you have a DSA built with a STG 58 Austrian kit. Are you sure the flash suppressor is welded on? Those are threaded left handed. The Austrian barrels are arguably the best/most accurate barrels for FAL's.  If you're gonna cut it down, I would'nt go less than 17 3/4 inches, gives you a shorter, handier rifle without the muzzle blast and loss of accuracy from a 16 inch. BTW, I use to be a fire cop as well, now, I'm just a cop.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 8:25:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep, definitely welded on. It's a very good shooter. Never had any malfunctions of any kind. Cost of ammo for any large quantity of shooting is more than I care to spend.

I used to be too. I retired in 2007.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 12:41:50 PM EDT
[#3]
From the archives here:

As per DSA, the StG58A barrel is left-hand threaded, as are some of the Flash suppressors they sell.

Since the FS is silver soldered to the barrel, you will need a fairly hot flame, MAPP gas at a minimum, Oxy-Propane or -Acetelene would be better. Crucial to the process is an anti scale compound applied to the bore to protect it from damage. Brownell's should have this, and perhaps a welding supply house. Insofar as possible, apply the heat to the muzzle device, not the barrel itself. When you are close to the right temp, have an assistant apply constant pressure to the FS in order to remove it quickly and avoid unnecessary heat transfer to the barrel. Have a bucket of water handy, and wear thick gloves. Count on refinishing at least the forward part of the barrel, and don't forget to remove the handguards and/or any springs near the front of the rifle.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 6:57:13 PM EDT
[#4]
It could be a kit that was built on a DSA receiver, you never know if DSA actually built it or not.

I agree, do NOT cut it down shorter than 17 3/4" or so.  The reliability won't be better with anything shorter, quite the opposite actually.  

The extra almost 2 inches yields a LOT of extra velocity and stability.

Link Posted: 5/17/2015 9:09:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top