Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/16/2015 5:18:30 PM EDT
Hey guys, I've rarely been on this forum but I am pretty active over on the falfiles under the handle Tows220.  I wanted to bring a project/group buy that is going on over there to any fal guys around here.

There is a para fal to acr buttstock adapter being made by a guy named lear70, he is the same guy who made the HK UMP to ACR stock adapter.

I'm not sure if I can post links to other forums here or if that is against the rules, but a google search would probably get you to the post.  He is doing 3d rendering now and I believe will be starting on a printed prototype soon.

Check it out, lear70 seems to have his stuff together with this project.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 6:26:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the heads up.

I was interested in this adaptor a couple years ago, but that seems to have disappeared.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 1:33:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Here's the latest iteration, which we're going to go to first prototype 3-D modeling on later today when I verify top rear width of the adapter matches the stock and get the modeling files to forward to the 3-D printing shop.

We have dropped the stock height by 1/2 an inch from the top of the metric rear, so it's going to have a drop to it, but that's the ONLY way to get the sight picture back from that rear iron sight.  It looks a little dramatic, but if you go onto DSA's website, some of the other para adapters have the same drop and don't balance or operate excessively unsightly.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 2:41:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey Lee,
I want in on this but falfiles doesn't approve memberships very quickly at all. I have no way of posting over there.

This is an awesome project. As an ACR and FAL owner this make a lot of sense. Ive got an SA58 with pic mounted AR sights and the drop to the stock, even with the stupid little foam velcro thing, just sucks. I'd decided to go to Troy micro sights to lower the sight line, before I saw this. My only hope is that this adapter will allow me to cowitness AR STYLE BUIS and red dots at one of the two available stock heights. Not a lot of use for me if it doesn't.

-M
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 9:07:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh please, please, please!

I put my $20 in the ring...gosh, last year...didn't take re fund, because I bought an ACR stock and am still hoping it was going to go through.  

PLEASE bring to fruition.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:55:52 PM EDT
[#5]
MrToyz, I see you made it on, glad to have you on board (sorry, I don't check here as often as I should).

Jag, Tom (Tbas) had a LOT of personal and financial issues, not to mention a lot of flak from his machinist, so that project died after his first run.  This adapter we are doing now is for a low mount (to use on the standard non-para metric lower receiver, swapping your rear sights for the para flip FAL sights, retaining a cheek weld to use the iron sights for those who want it but using this stock.

That said, after this one run I think we will also do another run of the high mount, demand is very high for it compared to the low mount and I think that's where the continued market will be.  

Stay tuned, I'll post pictures here as the project moves forward.  Next up is 3-D modeling and mounting to my rifle with the stock.  Hopefully only one or two iterations will be required since the hinge angles were the hangup on our first project with the ACR stock on the HK UMP rifle - it's a fairly complicated folding design.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:15:38 PM EDT
[#6]
So my FAL knowledge is a bit rusty. I've got a DSA Hampton para lower. What would I need to change out to fit your stock adapter?
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:33:30 PM EDT
[#7]
You'd need the high mount, which we just started design phase on.  Should be available in about 30-40 days.  

The low mount is what we're working on now, I went ahead and had it 3-D modeled, but I'm 99.9% certain after doing some hard looking last night at the drop that it's not going to work.  I'm fairly certain that in order to drop the stock enough to get a good sight line on the original iron sights that, when folded, the stock will cover the trigger area and the upper portion of the pistol grip which, of course, is a bit of a non-starter.

We'll see what it looks like when the model comes in, but I've already asked the programmer to start work on setting us up for the high mount which will interface with your Hampton lower perfectly.  It will come with the retaining bolt, and you'd just need the ACR stock.  

I'm waiting to get the prototype to the machinist, he came by today to drop off some other work he did for us, but I'm estimating these will run about $120, the high mount is a lot less material and fewer passes than the low mount would have been.

If someone wants the low mount I will make the files public domain if we decide not to move forward so they can 3-D print it and have it machined if they want.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:12:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Already have an ACR stock.  

Think it'll be low enough to use the irons?

And can you PM me the link to the group buy on FALfiles?  (Not sure the mods want to see it)

Absolutely cannot wait to see this.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:52:54 PM EDT
[#9]
The high mount isn't low enough to use the irons.

The low mount was supposed to solve that, but if the stock folded obscures the trigger, we probably won't move forward with it, there's not as much interest in the low mount as I thought there would be.

We'll know more mid next week when the 3D modeled prototype comes in.

I'll shoot you a PM, thanks for your interest!
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 12:51:17 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm very interested in this and am looking forward to seeing the model.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 12:42:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Hey Lee, again thanks for the work youre putting into this. I know first hand how difficult it is to find someone reliable to work with to print models and then make prototypes. I designed keymod ACR rail that never got built...
Do you think it would be useful to get the measurement (which should be standard), for the distance from the top of the pic rail on an AR platform to the buffer tube in order to shoot for matching that distance with a FAL mount designed to be used with pic railed FAL's needing need AR BUIS?

Joe
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 12:31:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Low mount prototype is inbound, should be here Monday for test fitting.

High mount prototype production began today, should be in Tuesday or Wednesday, much less material, easier to print.

We'll see if we can get enough for the low mount, but for certain we'll make high mounts.

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 11:33:50 AM EDT
[#13]
The high mount prototype is 3-D printed and on its way here.

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 12:04:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Neat.  I'm going to wait to see the fitment of the low mount to see if I could keep my irons and use the adjustable cheek piece on the ACR stock to use an optic.

If not, I'll pull the trigger on the high mount and put some AR-15 BUIS on there.  I already have a picatinny dust cover and the VLTOR handguards.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 10:54:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Sounds good.

The low mount prototype came in tonight, but I'm just too dang tired to mess with it.  

I'll do it tomorrow and let people decide if they want them.  Price would be around $130 and would NOT include the bolt, which you can get from DSA or Ace cheaper than I can produce it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 2:10:44 AM EDT
[#16]
I'd be in for one of each.

Both low mount and high mount.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 8:43:04 AM EDT
[#17]
I'll be in for one low mount for my DSA para
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:08:48 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm hoping to have time to finish mocking this up today, this is an original Imbel para lower with the prototype low mount.  Note the stock drop.

Link Posted: 5/7/2015 9:00:15 PM EDT
[#19]
I bought a couple from the first run.  Nice stuff no disappointments .
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 12:30:39 PM EDT
[#20]
We may be massaging the high mount a little bit.  They don't work well for AR BUIS on the rails, the sight picture is too high with the original mount.  We're probably going to drop it 3/8"

The low mount is going to get raised as well, it just doesn't look right with that big of a drop, hopefully the iron sights will still be usable when we bring it up, because this big of a drop DOES line up perfectly with the sight picture, it just doesn't work ergonomically for anything else (covers the trigger area, etc).

Standby for more!
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 10:37:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We may be massaging the high mount a little bit.  They don't work well for AR BUIS on the rails, the sight picture is too high with the original mount.  We're probably going to drop it 3/8"

The low mount is going to get raised as well, it just doesn't look right with that big of a drop, hopefully the iron sights will still be usable when we bring it up, because this big of a drop DOES line up perfectly with the sight picture, it just doesn't work ergonomically for anything else (covers the trigger area, etc).

Standby for more!
View Quote

Anyway you could do a mockup of your low adapter with ACR stock on a FAL???
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 7:38:01 AM EDT
[#22]
That's a great looking adapter. As if a person needed another reason to build another FAL.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 9:46:36 PM EDT
[#23]
I know, right?  This is just the beginning, we have several things in store to modernize the FAL...  Here's the updated "high" adapter design:

Link Posted: 6/2/2015 5:18:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Low mount prototyping in aluminum has begun.  We raised the height of it to match the FAL receiver, more accurately contoured the top to meet the stop properly, and a few other tweaks.

Link Posted: 6/8/2015 3:58:47 PM EDT
[#25]
I started wanting to build a classic FAL but damn it looks great with an ACR stock. I may have to alter my plans now
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 4:29:05 PM EDT
[#26]

I joined Fal files and still can't message people on there and got worried I'd miss out on a stock adapter and have to 6 months for another run.

Order one tho

Just need to find a black ACR stock.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top