Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2015 9:43:42 PM EDT
OK, Friend bought one and got me thinking. But haven't been able to find any reviews or AAR`s anywhere. So anyone have any experience with them ?, are they worth it?, why are they cheaper?, does that mean less reliable. any input greatly appreciated. Friend hasn't shot his yet so no info from him.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:09:30 PM EDT
[#1]
It is a reliable FAL. I bought one about a month ago.
I took it to the range and it was flawless! Damn good rifle.
I owned many AR's but a FAL was my grail rifle.
I broke down and spent the money for a DSA FAL Voyager. It"s a good rifle!  Buy it! You won't be sorry!
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:22:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Voyager has a cast receiver, that's why they are more affordable.
FALs are very reliable.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 10:24:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got a good 500rds through mine with no jams yet.  The receiver is cast, but its all machined so looks pretty much identical.  No carry handle cut. Rear sight isn't as nice.  Everything else seems the same.

Side note, not sure if mine was a fluke, but mine had VERY rough edges on the rails that touched the cartridges, feed ramps, and the magazine lips.  I spent about an hour smoothing everything up with some hand files and wet sanding before I even attempted to shoot it.  Out of the box i couldn't even close the bolt on a cartridge because the edges dug into the brass and stopped it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 9:19:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've got a good 500rds through mine with no jams yet.  The receiver is cast, but its all machined so looks pretty much identical.  No carry handle cut. Rear sight isn't as nice.  Everything else seems the same.

Side note, not sure if mine was a fluke, but mine had VERY rough edges on the rails that touched the cartridges, feed ramps, and the magazine lips.  I spent about an hour smoothing everything up with some hand files and wet sanding before I even attempted to shoot it.  Out of the box i couldn't even close the bolt on a cartridge because the edges dug into the brass and stopped it.
View Quote

Sure it's not a Hesse receiver?
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 3:38:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Well it didn't blow up, so I think so. It is a dsa I bought directly from Atlantic firearms. It's an early one, before they called it a voyager.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 11:16:22 PM EDT
[#6]
As of mid December all SA58 models use the cast receiver as well.  Serial numbers DSA28500 and up.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 5:08:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Guess mine is not a voyager after all.  It's stamped SA58 and the S/N is right after 28500

Quoted:
As of mid December all SA58 models use the cast receiver as well.  Serial numbers DSA28500 and up.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/21/2015 1:44:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Guess mine is not a voyager after all.  It's stamped SA58 and the S/N is right after 28500

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

well that would make a voyager if its after 28500.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 8:34:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 2:19:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Curious where you got this information. I purchased a type 2 receiver a year ago and was told it was forged.
It is in the 29k range. Hope I didn't get burned. Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 5:15:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I got this information from sales support when I called DSA to check on a new order. I have called a few times over the years and received information that conflicted with previous info they have given me. Just for fun I called three different times over the course of 2 months to find out what the manufacture date of a specific serial# was.........I got three different answers ranging from mid 2013 to late 2014. Basically there is no really good way to know.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 5:17:10 PM EDT
[#12]
It is my understanding Type II's were all forged up until mid December 2014- check the Fal files there is a lot out there on the topic
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 12:41:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks. My understanding is DSA will tool up for forged receivers in 6 months to a year from now.
Sad thing is DSA serial numbers will not be a different range for forged vs. cast. That's BS.
A c prefix for cast would be logical but who knows.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:38:23 AM EDT
[#14]
It would be great if they tool up and get more forged out. DSA needs to make a clear way to tell the difference though, people want to know what they bought.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 7:38:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Amen!
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 4:22:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top