Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2015 3:52:33 PM EDT
Here is my closet FAL.  I traded an HRA M1 Garand with a shot out (non correct) barrel for this about 4 years ago at a pawn shop. They had $1299 on it.  I shot it once, cleaned it and put in the closet where it has sat ever since.  I am a Garand guy and  just don't know a lot about it.  I know it's an Imbel that is not a Century build, it's a Pacific Armament Corp.  Other than that, that's all I know.  LOL

Tell me what I have.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 4:14:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Very nice with the bi-pod and bi-pod cut handguards.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 4:39:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I actually found my original cached thread on the CMP forum after posting this.  It's funny to go back and read what was posted then and what I had forgotten.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 4:52:29 PM EDT
[#3]
That is identical to my FAL, except mine had a new bbl/not threaded.  PAC was Century(I think), or they had some sort of relationship.   Mine shoots so fing well, never a reliability issue. prolly 2 k of asst. surplus, brown bear, paki shit and you name it.  I get a 4" group @ 100 with SA ball.   Regularly hit steel at 400+.

You should like it.  Set the gas to throw empties 4-6'.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 7:26:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I had its twin and sold it.   Regret it soooooo much.  Check because mine had a Styr barrel and most everything else was Rhodesian.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 7:38:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Your PAC ser.# is only 25 away from mine

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 9:57:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Here is my closet FAL.  I traded an HRA M1 Garand with a shot out (non correct) barrel for this about 4 years ago at a pawn shop. They had $1299 on it.  I shot it once, cleaned it and put in the closet where it has sat ever since.  I am a Garand guy and  just don't know a lot about it.  I know it's an Imbel that is not a Century build, it's a Pacific Armament Corp.  Other than that, that's all I know.  LOL

Tell me what I have
View Quote

$1299 was ridiculously overpriced for that. What was the value of the M1?

The flash suppressor is inch pattern and is technically incorrect for the barrel.

The hinge/pivot pin, bipod and front sling swivel are all installed incorrectly.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:30:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Worth about $1100 tops.  Purists will balk at the mismatch.

Probably a great shooter, though.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 9:02:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Worth about $1100 tops.  Purists will balk at the mismatch.

Probably a great shooter, though.
View Quote

We should have bought 3 of them when they were 400.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 9:29:49 AM EDT
[#9]
What you have is a FAL built with a Imbel Gear logo receiver (PAC) and an Austrian Steyr STG-58 parts kit. The muzzle device is similar to the ones on a G1 FAL. There are some variations of muzzle devices found on the STG-58s. The muzzle device on yours allows for the use of a bayonet. Here is my German G1. You can see the similarities between the two models.

Link Posted: 1/14/2015 1:09:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The muzzle device is just like the ones on a G1 FAL.
View Quote

Nope.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 2:26:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Nope.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The muzzle device is just like the ones on a G1 FAL.

Nope.

I corrected myself. What I meant to say is that they are similar, but the G1 muzzle device is not fixed like the one on the OPs STG-58. The G1 FALs's muzzle device can be removed by twisting it and slipping it off.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 4:03:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the info y'all.  

I had just less than 800 in the Garand.  Now that I have good, clear pics of what it should be like, I will fix the stuff that is backwards.  I agree with the one person who talked about his tossing the brass.  Mine does too, bigtime.  It is pretty hammered too.

1.  How do I tell if it is a Steyr barrel?
2.  What does the correct suppresor look like?  What kind is this one and are the bayos easy to come by?
3.  Who sells the wooden buttstock?  I like that look so much more.
4.  What is the hinge/pivot pin?  (sorry, M1's don't have one)
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:20:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thanks for the info y'all.  

I had just less than 800 in the Garand.  Now that I have good, clear pics of what it should be like, I will fix the stuff that is backwards.  I agree with the one person who talked about his tossing the brass.  Mine does too, bigtime.  It is pretty hammered too.

1.  How do I tell if it is a Steyr barrel?
2.  What does the correct suppresor look like?  What kind is this one and are the bayos easy to come by?
3.  Who sells the wooden buttstock?  I like that look so much more.
4.  What is the hinge/pivot pin?  (sorry, M1's don't have one)
View Quote

Pull the handguards. The barrel will be marked. I also have a Imbel, gear logo FAL, built with a Styer parts kit. Unfortunately, they screwed up the barrel timing so it shoots to the right.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:27:55 AM EDT
[#14]
The pivot pin mentioned is the giant screw head on the receiver.  Easy fix, just flip it around so the big screw head is on the other side.  That way when you work the action with force you don't catch your fingers/hand/fingernails on the projecting pin.  BTDT when I bought mine.  The big flat screw head is kind to your action charging hand.

The bipod just needs to move back toward the gas block.  You'll see the wide groove on the barrel to accept the bipod.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:44:38 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote
The original STG58 suppressor would look like:  

The problem is that the original suppressor is left hand threaded and the inch suppressor is right hand threaded.

I bet your rifle has no threading and the inch suppressor was soldered onto the neutered barrel.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:25:50 AM EDT
[#16]
cool.  Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 8:04:00 AM EDT
[#17]
If you want that rifle to be a fun shooter, you should remove that useless bi pod and set the safety selector to "E" when shooting. In it's pictured setting, the hammer will follow the bolt into battery after the first round is fired. You will have to extract the chambered round to recock the hammer and chamber another round.

That bi pod was installed to make the original rifle controllable during full auto fire. It is absolutely useless for any other task and adds weight to your rifle.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:43:12 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

The original STG58 suppressor would look like:  http://entreprise.com/images/qflhr.GIF

View Quote

Was it made to that length for the purpose of launching rifle grenades?

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 7:01:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The original STG58 suppressor would look like:  http://entreprise.com/images/qflhr.GIF

The combo device, which is shorter, works just fine for that purpose.  The longer length is not necessary, but it might help.  Not exactly sure why they went with that design.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 3:54:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Yeah, I knew about the Belgian short combo, as they came on my Imbel kits; the Stg 58's just struck me as a weird design. I see now that the threads are up closer to the prongs, so much of it sits over the barrel. These guys here hint that it may be designed to improve accuracy like a mass-produced untuned harmonic stabilizer, but idk. http://www.falfiles.com/forums/printthread.php?t=290612&pp=40
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 5:26:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The combo device, which is shorter, works just fine for that purpose.  The longer length is not necessary, but it might help.  Not exactly sure why they went with that design.
View Quote

The StG-58 "Stoll" device was designed and requested by Austria before the short combo device was available as an option from FN.

Rifle grenade stabilization was one of the primary design objectives of the Stoll device.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 2:43:54 PM EDT
[#22]

The combo device, which is shorter, works just fine for that purpose.  The longer length is not necessary, but it might help.  Not exactly sure why they went with that design

The Stoll Device was designed as a wirecutter to assist infantry in cutting through barb wire.

I don't believe the charging handle pictured is original to an StG 58.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 9:11:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The combo device, which is shorter, works just fine for that purpose.  The longer length is not necessary, but it might help.  Not exactly sure why they went with that design

The Stoll Device was designed as a wirecutter to assist infantry in cutting through barb wire.

I don't believe the charging handle pictured is original to an StG 58.
View Quote

That charging handle was a "Re-manufactor" by Century to count as a US part.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 12:41:04 AM EDT
[#24]
put the value at 900 max especially if it's an inch pattern
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 12:46:52 AM EDT
[#25]
check to see if the barrel has very small font stamping of "Centurion 58" anywhere. If it does, it would mean it actually is a Century build.  With that PAC imported Imbel receiver, and the Century charging handle and furniture, I think that is what it is.  Check for two piece Century piston also.  The only thing different on yours vs the ones I have seen is that Century pinned on a muzzle brake- but I would think maybe it was removed and the inch FH added- possibly barrel was shortened and rethreaded.

If not a Centurion 58 I would be surprised.  I have several- all nice STG kits on Imbel receivers with same junky US parts.  check the headspace though- I had to swap a few bolts around to fix mine...  I know mine were built during the ban, other than that I dont know much except that they are uncommon- some of the best components ever used by Century...
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 1:54:00 AM EDT
[#26]
It is NOT a Centurion 58 nor was it built by Century Arms Int.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 8:39:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 3:43:00 PM EDT
[#28]
PAC is Pacific Armament Corp.  They were just the importer of the receiver.  I agree that it is not a Century gun, if it were it would have Century markings on the receiver.  Most likely a StG-58 kit on a metric Imbel receiver.  Hard to say the story on the flash suppressor, looks L1A1, but maybe US made replica with correct threads for Austrian barrel compatibility.  Is there an actual key and pin in the hump behind the bayonet lug?  Is barrel Belgian proofed under handguards?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top