Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/28/2014 5:27:40 PM EDT
Talk about a cluster fu€&.

First: there should be an eye protection mandatory warning somewhere on the back of the stock ...because when you unscrew that keeper it's gonna fly!

Two: The only way you're getting that's double spring back in it is to have a 17 HMR cleaning rod handy.

And so I am making this thread just to save the next guy that has to do this a little bit of work.

So before you remove the keeper on your stock: take a large head screwdriver and loosen the keeper. Then take your 17 HMR guide rod and put it into the hole that's in the center of the keeper and slide it all the way down, until it bottoms out. Then with the small screwdriver circle around the back of your stock until the keeper comes out be cautious:  it was Leap halfway up the cleaning rod.

To get the double spring back into your stock and replace the keeper: once you have lubricated and cleaned underneath the stock, replace the stock, butt pad, insert the lubed double springs, place the keeper with its washer on the 17 HMR rod, insert the rod
into the double spring, and bottom it out once again in the stock action guide. Now crush everything down the rod into the back of the stock. Everything should line up. Take a small screwdriver with a large handle and press the keeper into alignment with the threads. Begin turning the entire rifle on a piece of carpet to protect the crown. Press hard an feel for it screwing itself in. The keeper will eventually find it's threads and hold the spring. Now take a large screwdriver and torque until it's snug.

I just got my first L1A1 sporter, and it came to me from the store completely free of lube, oil , or preservative. I paid $700 for it. Imbell receiver with an old British kit but a nice shiny bore.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 10:29:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Someone should make a dedicated tool specifically for removing the return springs.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 10:35:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 1:02:00 AM EDT
[#3]
The links reassuring lol
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 1:17:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 2:54:35 PM EDT
[#5]
That's why they make a $20 tool.   Certain firearms (like cars) require special tools to disassemble.   If one doesn't have the right tool, one shouldn't be disassembling.   Don't try to remove the recoil rod from a 1919a4 without the right tool, a number of eyes have been lost that way.

Rule on the FAL:  if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 1:33:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I put serious RIG or Lubriplate on the outside of my spring housing and nut (moderate inside) to prevent rust with our high humidity (and so I don't need to disassemble often). My shotguns and anything with steel next to the stocks receive the same treatment. It works well.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 12:19:18 PM EDT
[#7]
If one wants to lube inside the recoil spring tube, depress the spring lug that is at the face of the lower receiver and spray in.   No need to disassemble.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 1:34:22 PM EDT
[#8]
You don't need no stinkin' tool !!!!!!!!!!

</a>
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 1:56:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 12/4/2014 10:14:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You don't need no stinkin' tool !!!!!!!!!!

http://<a href=http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g214/c133jim/DSC_1854.jpg</a>
View Quote

Hell i already have the tool, and my kit hasnt even shipped yet
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 5:50:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 11:43:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Someone should make a dedicated tool specifically for removing the return springs.
View Quote

and make it cost somewhere between $10 or $20.

ETA- to be fair, i went for a while without one and would have to borrow or  struggle on reassembly not so much the disassembly.  I have a nice new genuine Australian surplus tool.

It was worth the $15 I spent on it.   Even if I only used it a handful of times.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 9:10:58 PM EDT
[#13]

Back in the olden days --------

When the Austrian "kits" were coming in I saw 3 "Like New all Matching" kits that I got from the importer that had the springs shortened.

All looked like they had "cut" with a blade and then bent back and forth to snap. They were pretty ragged looking.

I would guess that some strudel-eatin soldier in the field removed them and couldn't get them back in.

I saw over 300 STG 58 kits and these were the only ones that were dicked with like this...

Link Posted: 12/10/2014 11:20:18 AM EDT
[#14]
There is a dedicated tool for removal of recoil spring and buttstock

http://shop.ernstarmory.com/product.sc?productId=226&categoryId=31
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 10:40:08 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Two: The only way you're getting that's double spring back in it is to have a 17 HMR cleaning rod handy.

And so I am making this thread just to save the next guy that has to do this a little bit of work.

I just got my first L1A1 sporter, and it came to me from the store completely free of lube, oil , or preservative. I paid $700 for it. Imbell receiver with an old British kit but a nice shiny bore.

View Quote
The first quoted statement is absolutely false. I have never owned nor used a 17HMR cleaning rod and I have never had any difficulty getting the recoils springs back into the recoil tube and properly secured. If you are going to anoint yourself the "guru" of FAL maintanence (see second quoted statement) then you should endeavor to provide accurate information.

Your final quoted statement is evidence of your profoundly good fortune on that day and you should be grateful for it rather than pissing and moaning about some insignificant difficulties.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 6:34:33 PM EDT
[#16]
You know what? You make me wish for?

I wish you would film yourself reinserting the spring and cap with no tools. I would love to see you do it.

Quoted:
The first quoted statement is absolutely false. I have never owned nor used a 17HMR cleaning rod and I have never had any difficulty getting the recoils springs back into the recoil tube and properly secured. If you are going to anoint yourself the "guru" of FAL maintanence (see second quoted statement) then you should endeavor to provide accurate information.

Your final quoted statement is evidence of your profoundly good fortune on that day and you should be grateful for it rather than pissing and moaning about some insignificant difficulties.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:15:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I wish you would film yourself reinserting the spring and cap with no tools. I would love to see you do it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

If you have an AK, the cleaning rod also works as a FAL spring tool
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:42:09 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have done this many times myself, until I bought the tool anyway.

Link Posted: 12/25/2014 12:59:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

AK cleaning rod is also quite useful for installing the cleaning kit spring that's found in the AK buttstock, should it need replacing.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 11:04:45 PM EDT
[#20]
I have done it without the tool, but the tool makes it so much easier.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 2:44:08 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote

I never claimed to accomplish this task without using tools.

Link Posted: 1/14/2015 3:47:52 PM EDT
[#22]
All it takes is your first FAL buttstock disassembly and reassembly (or make that, attemtp reassembly), and you'll buy one.    Tools like that been out since at least the 90's.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:17:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
All it takes is your first FAL buttstock disassembly and reassembly (or make that, attemtp reassembly), and you'll buy one.    Tools like that been out since at least the 90's.
View Quote

And an extractor tool. Which seems like a stupid waste of money until you need it, and then you wonder why you never spend the money sooner
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top