Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/28/2014 9:46:25 AM EDT
I have a Century R1A1 and the gas regulator ring broke and I cannot find one.

L1A1 parts DO NOT fit it, they are too small.

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 10:35:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 11:05:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
maybe call these guys ?
[url=
View Quote

Sent them an email, thanks.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 11:06:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Falfiles?
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 4:08:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Falfiles?
View Quote

Post there too. This thing may get sold off as a nice kit if I can't find the part.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 9:00:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Get one from DSA
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 9:29:32 AM EDT
[#6]
If it is held on by a clip you need and inch version.  If it threads on you need a metric version.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 9:35:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Bought one from DSA, it didn't fit, too small by about 0.003"
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:49:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Id send an Email to Gunplumber...he's the Go-To guy for FAls now   Link
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:15:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I fixed it myself. I used aluminum oxide sanding belt wrapped around an arbor and basically reamed out the inside of the gas ring until it slipped over the gas block. I cleaned up the the gas block with the abrasive belt too which made it function better too.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 1:48:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Got a pic of your gas block?
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 9:16:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Rifle AKA 'The Green Weinie'

Right side of gas block

Left Side of gas block

Top of gas block
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 4:12:28 PM EDT
[#12]
The Green Weenie has a gas block made in 1961 by Enfield.   That makes it an inch gas block, you'll need an inch gas adjuster.

It has a metric lower receiver with an inch flip-up rear sight.

Can the piston plug be rotated (or even removed) with the handguards in place?
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 11:33:25 AM EDT
[#13]
That particular part in the picture is the most buggered up gas adjuster I ever saw.  I can adjust mine with my finger tips.  If it gets really nasty I suppose you would need a tool.  When i first got a FAL I had trouble removing the gas plug due to the previous owner never cleaning the gas system.   If you keep it clean things just work better.

I am wondering if the one you have was damaged by someone with a gas cyl wrench, common pliers,  or a hammer and punch trying to force it.  If it fits on and rotates all is good I suppose.  all it has to do is block the oriface.  

ETA- look at the front of your gas block at the very small hole.  Make sure there is a set screw there that locks your front sight from spinning.  I saw your front sight is a bit turned so I thought I'd mention it.  The original set screw has a point that mates in the groove on the front sight's threaded shaft.

Link Posted: 12/9/2014 2:43:32 PM EDT
[#14]
The gas regulator ring might be for the Indian 1A1.

Supposedly it has a smaller diameter than Aussie or Brit rings.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 6:55:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ha!  another Indian nonconforming part!   I didn't know that one.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 10:10:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was looking at that Ring and thinking that the gas setting markings looked somewhat..."Freeform"  That WOULD explain things
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 1:41:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The Green Weenie has a gas block made in 1961 by Enfield.   That makes it an inch gas block, you'll need an inch gas adjuster.

It has a metric lower receiver with an inch flip-up rear sight.

Can the piston plug be rotated (or even removed) with the handguards in place?
View Quote

Yes the plug comes right out.

It is a total Century Angry Beaver Parts gun for sure.

Link Posted: 12/10/2014 1:44:11 PM EDT
[#18]
The shaft that the ring goes over was too LARGE. I had two L1A1 rings and both were small. So I figured if I had to WECSOG one of them I would do it to the worst one which is why that one looks so bad.

In those pics the repairs were already completed.

I haven't had a chance to function test it though.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 1:45:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
That particular part in the picture is the most buggered up gas adjuster I ever saw.  I can adjust mine with my finger tips.  If it gets really nasty I suppose you would need a tool.  When i first got a FAL I had trouble removing the gas plug due to the previous owner never cleaning the gas system.   If you keep it clean things just work better.

I am wondering if the one you have was damaged by someone with a gas cyl wrench, common pliers,  or a hammer and punch trying to force it.  If it fits on and rotates all is good I suppose.  all it has to do is block the oriface.  

ETA- look at the front of your gas block at the very small hole.  Make sure there is a set screw there that locks your front sight from spinning.  I saw your front sight is a bit turned so I thought I'd mention it.  The original set screw has a point that mates in the groove on the front sight's threaded shaft.

View Quote

Yeah I seem to have lost that sight lock down screw at some point.
I use the red dot mostly anyway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top