Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/17/2014 11:20:41 PM EDT
Are all FAL receivers the same dimensionally? Are they like an AR? I want to replace the fire control parts of my Entreprise FAL. Can I use any FAL guts for this gun or do I have to buy parts specific to the Entreprise? I believe this is a metric receiver.

Thanks alot!
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 11:25:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 12:45:01 AM EDT
[#2]
There are some gotchas unique to inch vs. metric, but generally the parts are standardized.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 11:21:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There are some gotchas unique to inch vs. metric, but generally the parts are standardized.
View Quote

This.

As far as I know you just can't use inch FC parts in a metric lower and vice versa.  Aftermarket metric parts are much easier to locate than inch FCG parts.

ETA- some of the aftermarket parts are good, some aren't.  I am no expert but I know that.  If I wanted a well made set, I'd get a military surplus set if I wasn't looking for some kind of target trigger.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 12:04:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Why do you want to replace the FCG?   If it works, then stick with it.

And yes, you'd have to get a metric set if your receiver is metric.    If you do replace, try to find original parts from FN or IMBEL.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:54:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

And yes, you'd have to get a metric set if your receiver is metric.    If you do replace, try to find original parts from FN or IMBEL.
View Quote

My parts were changed a bunch of times and its possible there is a mix of metric and inch parts in it. It had been malfunctioning and I finally found someone who can repair it. Its getting a make over as we speak with some new parkerizing and all new internals.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:20:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

My parts were changed a bunch of times and its possible there is a mix of metric and inch parts in it. It had been malfunctioning and I finally found someone who can repair it. Its getting a make over as we speak with some new parkerizing and all new internals.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is unlikely that there is a mix.   You may have incompatible metric parts though.

How was it malfunctioning?

Be wary of those that can "fix a FAL".   There are hundreds of horror stories of "gunsmiths" ruining FALs.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 12:00:41 PM EDT
[#7]
good point on going back to why you want to change them out.  

I am not the end all be all fal guru but in discussions and in my personal parts swapping experience...the FAL trigger has limits on what you can do to improve the trigger pull.  

My experience is with the inch type.  You can only go so far with swapping springs to lighten the trigger pull before you get failures to reset the trigger.  You'll get to fire once and find your gun with a dead trigger.   BTDT after de Century thumbholing a gun and didn't have the correct spring (century used an over length chevy coil spring) and I was using different gunsmith coil stock spring samples to get up and running.  Let's just say i had a lot of nice springs for good trigger pulls that didn't reset the trigger with live ammo.  Down the road on a parts order i bought the OEM spring to be on the safe side.

What you can do, check your parts to make sure the engagement surfaces are square, not chipped, and any pivots are on straight pins and the parts have non egged out holes for the pins. Too much slop is bad and yields inconsistent trigger pulls, more so with a slightly bent pin.  BTDT with garands.   if the parts are out of spec with loose holes or out of square, throw them away and get new ones.  If they are just rough surfaced, one can LIGHTLY give them a FEW strokes on a stone.  A light dressing not a drastic polish job or a reshaping.  Even with my description and caution it may be better to just leave them alone.

go over to FAL files and do some searches on match triggering a FAL.  Put your asbestos underwear on.

Another edit- you will find more fouled up trigger parts in the commercial category compared to the military unless someone tried to "improve" the military part.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 11:15:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Go to the Arizona Response System web site. Mark Graham tested many FAL receivers: some are good and some not. Just like any mechanical device, tolerance is the issue. I will not mention names here
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 8:25:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Go to the Arizona Response System web site. Mark Graham tested many FAL receivers: some are good and some not. Just like any mechanical device, tolerance is the issue. I will not mention names here
View Quote

He's about THE FAL Guy now I believe....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top