Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2014 2:27:50 AM EDT
I posted about this when I first got my FAL, but that topic has gone to archives.  Here's the current situation:

DSA Imbel FAL, 21" barrel.  Two dot front sight is bottomed out (one dot sight gave a sight picture that just didn't work for me).  Rear sight is at 400.  That zeros at 100 yards with a center hold.  I've decided it's annoying.  It seems a taller rear sight is in order.  Now the big question.  Which one is most likely to work?  A para rear (recommendations?) , Izzy (seem to be made of unobtanium) or L1A1?  

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:26:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I posted about this when I first got my FAL, but that topic has gone to archives.  Here's the current situation:

DSA Imbel FAL, 21" barrel.  Two dot front sight is bottomed out (one dot sight gave a sight picture that just didn't work for me).  Rear sight is at 400.  That zeros at 100 yards with a center hold.  I've decided it's annoying.  It seems a taller rear sight is in order.  Now the big question.  Which one is most likely to work?  A para rear (recommendations?) , Izzy (seem to be made of unobtanium) or L1A1?  

Thanks.
View Quote

the threads are bottomed out?
take a hand file to it and remove some material on the sight where it is bottoming out, this should allow you to lower it further.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 12:41:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

take a hand file to it and remove some material on the sight where it is bottoming out, this should allow you to lower it further.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

Don't do this.  You'll remove the ridges that keep the sight in place.  If you want to lower the front sight by filing on it, file the top of the blade.  A higher front sight will have you shooting low once it has bottomed out.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:23:25 PM EDT
[#3]
The two dot front sight is already as low as it can be.  Any lower of a post and the sight picture would be crap.  Need a taller rear sight option.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 12:43:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Are you sure the upper receiver is locking up correctly with the trigger housing (lower)?

If you have correct upper to lower lock up, your only option is a taller rear sight.

The Australian or British folding rear sight is fairly plentiful and inexpensive. The "Israeli" tall rear sight is difficult to find right now. The Para rear sight probably won't help you since it's designed for use with the closed ear gas block.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:10:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I went to a zero dot on mine DSA STG58 to get the zero where I want it. It is still bottomed out.

Tag for interest.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:45:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Are you sure the upper receiver is locking up correctly with the trigger housing (lower)?

If you have correct upper to lower lock up, your only option is a taller rear sight.

The Australian or British folding rear sight is fairly plentiful and inexpensive. The "Israeli" tall rear sight is difficult to find right now. The Para rear sight probably won't help you since it's designed for use with the closed ear gas block.
View Quote

The rifle locks up solidly, and I've been shooting it... but it's also my first and only FAL.  Any quick advice on checking the lock up?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:20:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Israeli rear sight on the way.  Won't fix the underlaying cause, but should give some wiggle room to bring the front sight up a bit.  Guess I'll see when it gets here.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:05:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thanks.
View Quote

You are trying to zero a rifle that was not designed to have a 100 meter hard zero. The FAL was designed to zero at 25/200 meters. With the rear sight set to 400 meters you are using up most of your front sight adjustment trying to bring the poa/poi back down to where it should be.

FAL battle sight zero.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:48:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You are trying to zero a rifle that was not designed to have a 100 meter hard zero. The FAL was designed to zero at 25/200 meters. With the rear sight set to 400 meters you are using up most of your front sight adjustment trying to bring the poa/poi back down to where it should be.

FAL battle sight zero.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

FAL battle sight zero.

So I started with the rear set at 200 and ran out of front sight adjustment.  Moved rear sight up to 300 and still had issues with front sight too low.  Then moved rear to 400 to get enough front sight to have sight picture I can live with.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:01:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

So I started with the rear set at 200 and ran out of front sight adjustment.  Moved rear sight up to 300 and still had issues with front sight too low.  Then moved rear to 400 to get enough front sight to have sight picture I can live with.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

FAL battle sight zero.

In that case your best bet is an L1A1 rear sight. Apex has them.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:00:22 PM EDT
[#11]
If the Israeli doesn't work then it will fund the L1A1 sight.  This really is a band aid fix, if the rifle didn't run or group I wouldn't even bother.  I suspect the upper/lower fit is probably the culprit, but lack the expertise or tools to fix that and don't want to start just filing or dremeling like a nut on a good looking rifle.

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 7:12:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Israeli rear sight fixed it.  Have enough front sight adjustment now to get a sight picture pretty close to the one on my M1A instead of a little nub of front sight.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top