Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2014 12:53:54 PM EDT
Finally got around to taking my FAL out fro a function check and it wont strip[ a round out of the mag (any mag). I figure since its new and everything is tight and not broken in yet it'd have a few hiccups but not stripping a round seems a little weird. Ideas?
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:22:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Finally got around to taking my FAL out fro a function check and it wont strip[ a round out of the mag (any mag). I figure since its new and everything is tight and not broken in yet it'd have a few hiccups but not stripping a round seems a little weird. Ideas?
View Quote

Sounds like it's short stroking...have you adjusted the gas setting?

Gas Setting Instructions
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 1:14:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Is it doing it from the first round?  Randomly with any of the 20 rds in the mag?  I had a rifle that would FTFeed randomly.  Came to find out my mag catch was short and the top round in the mag was too low, causing bolt-over.  Changed mag catch and it ran like a top.

There are parked magazines which, when new, generate a lot of friction with the rounds, and I've improved them by sanding the inside of the lips.

Close the gas regulator 2 or 3 clicks, if you suspect short-stroking.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 5:28:03 PM EDT
[#3]
will try the mags/mag catch. It is doing it first round, every round.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 9:50:37 PM EDT
[#4]
One of the quickest ways to find out is if you push upward on the base of the mag that's in place, does it move up a fraction of an inch?  Next step, put the rifle on a table so that the weight of the rifle pushes the mag in farther, does it strip the rounds then?

Bolt-over-base is the most frustrating condition, but also the easiest to fix.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 1:46:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Good call, will try and report back
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top