Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/6/2014 2:19:54 AM EDT

I had an AGOG on my Argy FAL but I had to move it over to my Rock River LAR8EO. Looking for an affordable .308 scope with Bullet Drop Compensating reticle.

Anybody have any experience with Primary Arms? Looks like this 1-6X Scope will be available in Sept:

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_...p/paps1-6x.htm

Any other thoughts or experiences w/o breaking the bank?
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 3:05:28 PM EDT
[#1]
FAL's can be very punishing to scopes due to the recoil impulse, I use a SWFA 3-9x Mil-Quad on mine as they are some of the toughest scopes even comparing to other scopes 2x the cost! check the SWFA "Sample List" as that is where I got my scope for $475 but you can find Demo fixed 6x ones on there for $245 usually. I have heard the Primary Arms scopes are nice but I wouldn't put one on an FAL but that's just me.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 2:00:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Anyone have experience with the Burris tac30 scope? I have thought this would make a great 7.62 DMR style optic.....
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 7:42:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I hate to say bite the bullet and get a hensoldt 4x. They are expensive as shit now but best quality in glass and resilience. Get the ARMS fal mount and then a ARms Stanang mount .
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 2:06:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I hate to say bite the bullet and get a hensoldt 4x. They are expensive as shit now but best quality in glass and resilience. Get the ARMS fal mount and then a ARms Stanang mount .
View Quote

Thousand bucks?  Naaah.  I'm hoping to find something new or used in the 250-400 range. I have several pretty high dollar scopes that are not justified by my abilities nor time I spend with them. However I will not settle for $79 crap optics.

I'm not going more than 300yds and I'm not trying to achieve 1.5" groups at that distance. Just aging eyes and looking for handy caps. I can often hit clays at 200yds with my:

M1A + RR900
LAR8 + ACOG
FN49 + ONM76

I'd like to do the same wi my FAL 

Have an M76+ONM76B but I'm not quite "there" with it yet. I blame the trigger. :-)

Link Posted: 8/13/2014 12:07:36 AM EDT
[#5]
$1000.00 Bs look around. Last one I got about 5 months ago $500/ Look around
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 12:09:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Sorry just read ur post don't want to be a dick but do what you think you need to do?????? 79$ optics
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 12:52:42 AM EDT
[#7]
I have had 3 optics on my FAL and the poster above me isn't kidding about the recoil impulse.  Right now it is wearing a Konus M30 1-4 because it ATE the last 2 scopes, (a Burris and a NC Star).  I chose the Konus since it is cheap and has decent enough glass, but the tube is VERY thick, and it seems more durable than the other 2.

You might be OK, if you consider any glass you install disposable, so if it breaks you aren't mad, but if it survives, you are pleasantly surprised...
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:21:01 AM EDT
[#8]
You don’t need a precision scope for an FAL. I have an ACOG on mine and I like the M240G BDC horseshoe reticle it has in it. Just got a new RFB (because it takes my FAL mags) and I put this Redfield Battlezone 3x9 (.308 BDC turret and MOA reticle) on it. It is doing great. If I was you, I would move the ACOG back over to the FAL (the NOT MOA battle rifle) and put something like the Redfield on the Rock River (a very potential MOA or SubMOA weapon)!

http://www.redfield.com/battlezone/

Semper Fidelis
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 12:15:24 PM EDT
[#9]
The PA scope you're looking at is more than a pound, so also consider the rigidity of the mount you're going to use.  I went the other way and installed the lightest PA red dot I could find, (MD-8) and it would not hold zero.  Whether it was the optic or the mount ( I used blue Loctite, Rocksett, all to no avail), I have not put any more time into investigating.  Many FAL veterans consider the rifle best used with the original irons it came with.  Reluctantly, I'm sorta starting to agree with that.

+1 to all who mentioned brutal effect of recoil on optic systems, and FAL has to be one of the softest 7.62 shooters out there, thanks to adjustable gas.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 11:37:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The PA scope you're looking at is more than a pound, so also consider the rigidity of the mount you're going to use.  I went the other way and installed the lightest PA red dot I could find, (MD-8) and it would not hold zero.  Whether it was the optic or the mount ( I used blue Loctite, Rocksett, all to no avail), I have not put any more time into investigating.  Many FAL veterans consider the rifle best used with the original irons it came with.  Reluctantly, I'm sorta starting to agree with that.

+1 to all who mentioned brutal effect of recoil on optic systems, and FAL has to be one of the softest 7.62 shooters out there, thanks to adjustable gas.
View Quote

More to do with forward moving bcg slamming into battery.  I went back to the aimpoint ml3 on mine and it's plenty good for steel out to 300m. OP mentioned tac30 which I have on a 16" 308 AR and is very suited to the roll it sounds you are trying to fill.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 4:22:49 AM EDT
[#11]
I like my Leatherwood CMR scopes and they are excellent scopes for the money.

I had a 1st gen CMR mounted to an FAL before they were verboten in Newyorkistan.. I had no problems with the limited firing I did with it before the rifle went south.
http://hi-luxoptics.com/product/riflescopes/tactical-scopes/cmr-series/cmr4-scope-2/

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:20:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You don’t need a precision scope for an FAL. I have an ACOG on mine and I like the M240G BDC horseshoe reticle it has in it. Just got a new RFB (because it takes my FAL mags) and I put this Redfield Battlezone 3x9 (.308 BDC turret and MOA reticle) on it. It is doing great. If I was you, I would move the ACOG back over to the FAL (the NOT MOA battle rifle) and put something like the Redfield on the Rock River (a very potential MOA or SubMOA weapon)!

Semper Fidelis
View Quote

Well I took this advice to some degree.  I was able to grab a Nikon M-308 4-16x42BDC800 for $350. I'm gonna put the ACOG back on my Argy FAL and put this Nikon on my Rock River LAREO.

I did get a Primary Arms fixed 6x wi BDC reticle for a buck and a half (shipping and accessories). Gonna throw it on my .308 Ishapore Enfield just for grins.  Can't hit crap with it on irons.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:01:48 AM EDT
[#13]
I'd love to see some pictures of your Argy FAL with the ACOG mounted.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:24:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Well I took this advice to some degree.  I was able to grab a Nikon M-308 4-16x42BDC800 for $350. I'm gonna put the ACOG back on my Argy FAL and put this Nikon on my Rock River LAREO.

I did get a Primary Arms fixed 6x wi BDC reticle for a buck and a half (shipping and accessories). Gonna throw it on my .308 Ishapore Enfield just for grins.  Can't hit crap with it on irons.

Let us know how the PA fixed 6x work out. I am thinking the exact same thing. If I remember right, the reticle is glass-etched and therefore sturdier than some other scopes under recoil.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Semper Fidelis

Let us know how the PA fixed 6x work out. I am thinking the exact same thing. If I remember right, the reticle is glass-etched and therefore sturdier than some other scopes under recoil.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:27:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:I'd love to see some pictures of your Argy FAL with the ACOG mounted.
View Quote

Mine?

Semper Fidelis
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:27:31 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Semper Fidelis

FWIW, I corresponded with the owner of Primary Arms and he says the fixed 6x isn't meant for the punishment of a .308, but his 1-6x will take it.  

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 1:40:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

FWIW, I corresponded with the owner of Primary Arms and he says the fixed 6x isn't meant for the punishment of a .308, but his 1-6x will take it.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Semper Fidelis

Damn, they did not say it on their website!. I emailed them a question re: zeroing a 7.62 NATO not too long ago and they did not mention it either. Thanks for posting this.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 2:50:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:38:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Redacted
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:35:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Semper Fidelis

Is it possible he meant the other way around?  Fixed-power scopes are usually more rugged than the variables.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:24:44 AM EDT
[#21]
The Primary Arms 6X came in. Two hot spots in the circular part of the illuminated reticle, the illumination didn't change no matter the setting and turret adjustments were very stiff and mushy. I sent it back. Too bad. I REALLY wanted to like it. The glass seemed very clear.

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 10:01:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
FAL's can be very punishing to scopes due to the recoil impulse, I use a SWFA 3-9x Mil-Quad on mine as they are some of the toughest scopes even comparing to other scopes 2x the cost! check the SWFA "Sample List" as that is where I got my scope for $475 but you can find Demo fixed 6x ones on there for $245 usually. I have heard the Primary Arms scopes are nice but I wouldn't put one on an FAL but that's just me.
View Quote

Good to know. I just put a SWFA scope on my L1A1 today. Won't be able test out for a while though.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 11:06:46 PM EDT
[#23]
I went through the same process a few years ago.

The solution I went with was to fire the ammo I was using across a chronograph and then sent the data to Leupold. (Hand loads duplicating Federal gold medal match)
They sent me a fixed 6X scope with BDC marks matched to my load for less than $400. (Custom shop offers this service)

the Leupold fixed power scopes are known for their durability and in the unlikely event you have a problem, they will fix it without question........forever.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 8:23:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'd love to see some pictures of your Argy FAL with the ACOG mounted.
View Quote

Sorry.  Forgot to oblige.  Here ya go.  I've since removed the mount and attached the scope directly to the dustcover.

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:00:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top