Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/9/2014 3:41:57 PM EDT
My fal has the faux flash hider silver soldered on. I mean it's the type with the slots and what looks like a bayonet lug. The flash hider slots are not open of course. I hope I'm making sense here. Anyways, for the longest time, I was going to heat up the barrel to unscrew the fake flash hider. But I just had an idea...what if I use my dremel to cut the slots open? I mean, by opening the slots wouldn't it act just like a flash hider? I'm a bit crazy...
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 3:53:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My fal has the faux flash hider silver soldered on. I mean it's the type with the slots and what looks like a bayonet lug. The flash hider slots are not open of course. I hope I'm making sense here. Anyways, for the longest time, I was going to heat up the barrel to unscrew the fake flash hider. But I just had an idea...what if I use my dremel to cut the slots open? I mean, by opening the slots wouldn't it act just like a flash hider? I'm a bit crazy...
View Quote

First thought...

Personally, I would find a way to remove it if the barrel/gun will still be of legal length without it.  The alternative is to send it off to have it cut, threaded and your choice of muzzle device added.

If you go the torch route without any cutting, it's going to take more heat to remove it than it did to solder it, and you may anneal your muzzle, which is a bad thing....
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 4:08:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Hahaha. I know I know.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 1:42:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Sure, it'd work. It'd also look like something turned out by an 11 year old jihadi in Syria.

Unless, of course, you go to the trouble of jigging it up, making a decent table, and actually milling it.

Oh hell, do what everyone else does, just use a plasma cutter
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 7:08:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

The silver solder is on the back of the hider. The threads sit approx 2-3"  in front of it at the end of the muzzle. IF you want to mess around with a dremel,
WESCOG TIME!
Cut the unit from the soldered end forward on an angle. Then cut around the diameter, again in front of the soldered end. The should allow removal of the hider. Now take the fancy dremel and remove the solder. Check for the blind pin located behind the threads.  I did a SA 5.56 this way. Took 20 min.
MAKE SURE YOU TAPE OFF ANY AREA YOU DON'T WANT DREMEL OR OOPS MARKS ON.
OR find a smith who can chuck it up in their lathe and cut it off, cleanly
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 1:39:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top