Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2014 1:42:39 PM EDT
could someone knowledgeable please take a look at a the styr fal on gb, item # 407853823 an let me know if its for real , or just cobbed together. looks interesting to me but I'm new at this.
thanks,
ck
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 1:54:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm new at FAL's also but I can see that the lower's serial number was ground off and renumbered to match the upper.  Also it looks like the flash hider is from the ban era.  If that's the case it's probably soldered on.   It would be nice to know what markings/numbers are on the barrel.  Hopefully someone else can tell more.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 2:07:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Steyr STG58 rifles where never imported into the US.

That is probably a Coonan receiver that was marked to appear to be a Steyr. Not an uncommon thing to do.

So basically its a kit gun. Nothing more.

Not to say it isnt a bad rifle mind you.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 2:51:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Ah, Frank and his "creative" descriptions...
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:02:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Its a kit gun but a good very high quality kit setup.

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:26:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 12:29:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Nice gun, I have a similar one built on an Imbel lower that was machined to be a Type 1 receiver. The Steyr parts are all first class quality.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:37:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Man I sold something similar about 2yrs ago. Imbel Gear Receiver, and it was #s matching lower, bolt, and bolt carrier.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:58:56 AM EDT
[#8]
I would say that is a ARIZONA RESPONSE SYSTEMS build. AKA Gunplumber. He always renumbers his builds to match, but never tries to hide that they are renumbered. He is one of the best builders out there. He also has done a build DVD and manual.

link....

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 11:51:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Mark always marks his builds. He has a trademark stamp that is in front of the receiver, just in front of the mag well.

That is not marked from the pictures I am seeing.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 10:17:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mark always marks his builds. He has a trademark stamp that is in front of the receiver, just in front of the mag well.

View Quote

You are correct on his logo. The way the number on the lower was redone looked like his work. And he had said on FN files, he had done a run of Stg58 builds with the Stg markings. The photos do not show underside of receiver.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 1:29:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's not 100% correct. His early builds do not have his trademark engraving. He does, however, renumber parts to match the upper receiver. The process isn't pretty but is signature Mark.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 1:50:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That's not 100% correct. His early builds do not have his trademark engraving. He does, however, renumber parts to match the upper receiver. The process isn't pretty but is signature Mark.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have one from the lateish 90s that isn't remarked at all that he did. Then he taught me how to build my own...
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:02:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I have one from the lateish 90s that isn't remarked at all that he did. Then he taught me how to build my own...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep I used his book and video on my first build. Back when kits were 99 bucks......

"Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end"............
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top