Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2014 7:54:21 PM EDT
so i just build my first 10.5" pistol ar from scratch, and this this fucking awesome!!! easily my favorite gun of my collection
im a big fan of compact pdws so i was thinking about maybe building a fal
i was thinking maybe an ak but there was alot of machining behind it and im not a big fan of ak's anyways
but i wanted to take a step up from building an ar and build something else (really grow and advance my skills)

so
1. is it more or less complex as building an ak?
2. are the parts kit available in "pistol" form?
3. how much do these parts kits cost? and how much would a receiver cost? would it be more than just buying an fal pistol? more than a rifle?
4. is there a good overview tutorial that you can recommend? just to get an idea of it? preferably in video form

thanks for the help!!!
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 10:57:46 AM EDT
[#1]
anybody?
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 9:49:25 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

so i just build my first 10.5" pistol ar from scratch, and this this fucking awesome!!! easily my favorite gun of my collection

i was thinking maybe an ak but there was alot of machining behind it and im not a big fan of ak's anyways

but i wanted to take a step up from building an ar and build something else (really grow and advance my skills)

so

1. is it more or less complex as building an ak? much much easier than building an AK

2. are the parts kit available in "pistol" form? not really, but DSA does sell for end parts

3. how much do these parts kits cost? and how much would a receiver cost? would it be more than just buying an fal pistol? more than a rifle? in this market, quite possibly

4. is there a good overview tutorial that you can recommend? just to get an idea of it? preferably in video form gunplumber has a video, I'm sure there is stuff on youtube

thanks for the help!!!
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/25/2014 10:48:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

so
1. is it more or less complex as building an ak? much much easier than building an AK
2. are the parts kit available in "pistol" form? not really, but DSA does sell for end parts
3. how much do these parts kits cost? and how much would a receiver cost? would it be more than just buying an fal pistol? more than a rifle? in this market, quite possibly
4. is there a good overview tutorial that you can recommend? just to get an idea of it? preferably in video form gunplumber has a video, I'm sure there is stuff on youtube

thanks for the help!!!

awesome!!! it looks like i might have my next project!!!
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 11:19:58 PM EDT
[#4]
PTR has a 91 in pistol config .  -------    so if you want a 7.62 device with a 10-12" barrel,  -- you can likely rock on      (not too crazy -- i have a TC encore -- currently wearing a 45-70 pistol barrel, but they also have magnum rifle calibers in pistol length too   ---  deafening
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 9:00:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
PTR has a 91 in pistol config .  -------    so if you want a 7.62 device with a 10-12" barrel,  -- you can likely rock on      (not too crazy -- i have a TC encore -- currently wearing a 45-70 pistol barrel, but they also have magnum rifle calibers in pistol length too   ---  deafening
View Quote

thanks, but i kinda wanted to build one myself, i just don't want to build one that doesn't make fiscal sense
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 1:35:18 PM EDT
[#6]
If you didn't get those parts way back when, along with the tools to do it, then building an FAL at this point won't make fiscal sense. You can buy complete weapons cheaper than you can build them. Usually quite a bit cheaper.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 8:54:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you didn't get those parts way back when, along with the tools to do it, then building an FAL at this point won't make fiscal sense. You can buy complete weapons cheaper than you can build them. Usually quite a bit cheaper.
View Quote

hmm, a little discouraging, i was hoping for it to be like an ar build, a little cheaper and parts availibe but i thank you for the info
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 9:27:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

hmm, a little discouraging, i was hoping for it to be like an ar build, a little cheaper and parts availibe but i thank you for the info
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It can still be done, but it's going to take quite a bit of time, plus finding a buddy that already has the tools for it lol.

Even with AR's, at this time you'd be hard pressed to build one cheaper than you can buy a low end AR right off the shelf.

If you still want it badly enough, start lurking at the 'files, specifically the marketplace, and keep visiting it several times a day. You'll get lucky, on and off, in finding the parts you need, and that hunt is half the fun.

Link Posted: 4/3/2014 9:20:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It can still be done, but it's going to take quite a bit of time, plus finding a buddy that already has the tools for it lol.

Even with AR's, at this time you'd be hard pressed to build one cheaper than you can buy a low end AR right off the shelf.

If you still want it badly enough, start lurking at the 'files, specifically the marketplace, and keep visiting it several times a day. You'll get lucky, on and off, in finding the parts you need, and that hunt is half the fun.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

i built an ar with features that are usually found on ar's over $1500 for around $850
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/634218_New_Build_Project___an_FATF_build___What_do_you_think_.html&page=3
but i was hoping that fal parts kits would be available along with info and tools   maybe one day though
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top