Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2012 7:17:10 PM EDT
Who here is shooting brown bear steel case in their FALs?  With the price of 308 continuing to sky rocket, I'm starting to ponder shooting steel core in my DSA para congo.  So anyone out there shooting it?  Any pros?  Cons?  etc

THanks in advance
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 7:35:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I shoot steel case out of my FAL with no issues. Others will say to steer clear. I recommend you do some research on the ol google and make your own decision.  

Link Posted: 2/14/2012 8:29:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Silver Bear is what I normally shoot in my FN FALs. I have shot other steel case ammo without problems but I prefer the Silver Bear.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 11:17:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I just finished a 500rd case of Tula .308 in my FAL.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 3:48:32 PM EDT
[#4]
So far the only thing I've fed my FAL has been brown bear . Although it's not super accurate it is reliable and inexpensive. only drawback i have found is that the steel is beating up the scope mount i have but brass would probably do the same
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 4:02:02 PM EDT
[#5]
From THE people who make the gun and handles the lifetime warranty.....

But is your gun.......
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 4:38:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

So far the only thing I've fed my FAL has been brown bear . Although it's not super accurate it is reliable and inexpensive. only drawback i have found is that the steel is beating up the scope mount i have but brass would probably do the same

Brass beat my scope up and and scope mount. I'm now in the process of fabing a brass deflector.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 4:13:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 12:57:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Brass beat my scope up and and scope mount. I'm now in the process of fabing a brass deflector.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b232/NICTRA/FAL/100_0222.jpg

Brass deflector is not necessary, you can 'tune' the ejector to get brass going in a different direction.  Search on FALfiles in gunsmithing forum.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 12:14:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I have glanced at that, but have not considered it yet. A Brass deflector is easy. Tuning the gas down doesn't work either. This FAL works 4.5, but nothing higher, tune to 5 and no cycle, 4.5 just fine. Weird.

ETA:

ggilliiee's link is dead. Anyone have this mod saved somewhere?

Link Posted: 2/18/2012 1:03:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Who here is shooting brown bear steel case in their FALs?  With the price of 308 continuing to sky rocket, I'm starting to ponder shooting steel core in my DSA para congo.  So anyone out there shooting it?  Any pros?  Cons?  etc

THanks in advance

You do understand that these are different things right?

Link Posted: 2/18/2012 1:48:13 PM EDT
[#11]
My FAL shoots anything.  I have to close down the port a notch with the steel stuff compared to the SA or Winchester, but that's what an adjustable gas system is for right?

Quoted:
From THE Fucking lawyers that work for the people who make the gun and handles the lifetime warranty.....

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac287/tankdrive/fals/ammowarn.gif

But is your gun.......

FIFY   Most manufacturers also disallow reloads.  Lowest common denominator, right?
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 2:03:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My FAL shoots anything.  I have to close down the port a notch with the steel stuff compared to the SA or Winchester, but that's what an adjustable gas system is for right?

Quoted:
From THE Fucking lawyers that work for the people who make the gun and handles the lifetime warranty.....

But is your gun.......

FIFY   Most manufacturers also disallow reloads.  Lowest common denominator, right?

All I saying is what they say. Yell at them when they will not honor their warranty not me.........

Link Posted: 2/19/2012 6:53:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I just finished a 500rd case of Tula .308 in my FAL.

I just ordered a case myself.  Boy that stuff is cheap for .308.

Have some residual brown bear from about 2 years ago.  I get about 1 fail to fire every mag in both my FNAR and SA58.  Firing the dud a second time will usually result in a bang
Link Posted: 5/31/2012 8:58:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Just a thought:  "Fucking lawyers" own FALs too. We care about FAL owners, and recognize the stupid and careless things you might do to injure yourself with our client's product. I think I can say, without fear of contradiction, that a FAL is not meant to be used for any purpose you can possibly imagine. As Fucking lawyers, we try to warn you of potential dangers that our client has discovered, so you can share the benefit of our experience, rather than learn from your own mistake and blame our client for not telling you. We try to tell you things that are not obvious, such as problems with certain ammo. We don't tell you not to scratch your itchy upper palate with the muzzle brake of your loaded FAL, although it works really well,  because this is an obvious danger, and clearly not an intended use of the product. So, please refrain from blaming "Fucking lawyers" for trying to keep you safe and healthy while using our clients product in its intended manner. We don't want to see get hurt. We're concerned about your well being and not about whether our client has to replace the Right Arm of The Free World.....or two.

Don's feed the FAL defective junk. You wouldn't piss in your car's gas tank, would you!?
Link Posted: 5/31/2012 2:05:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Just a thought:  "Fucking lawyers" own FALs too. We care about FAL owners, and recognize the stupid and careless things you might do to injure yourself with our client's product. I think I can say, without fear of contradiction, that a FAL is not meant to be used for any purpose you can possibly imagine. As Fucking lawyers, we try to warn you of potential dangers that our client has discovered, so you can share the benefit of our experience, rather than learn from your own mistake and blame our client for not telling you. We try to tell you things that are not obvious, such as problems with certain ammo. We don't tell you not to scratch your itchy upper palate with the muzzle brake of your loaded FAL, although it works really well,  because this is an obvious danger, and clearly not an intended use of the product. So, please refrain from blaming "Fucking lawyers" for trying to keep you safe and healthy while using our clients product in its intended manner. We don't want to see get hurt. We're concerned about your well being vote not about whether our client has to replace the Right Arm of The Free World.....or two.

Don's feed the FAL defective junk. You wouldn't piss in your car's gas tank, would you!?

I hardly consider most Russian steel cased ammo to be defective junk.  Ive shot tens of thousands of rounds of Brown Bear and have had very few issues that wernt weapon related. Other than above mentioned FAL and FNAR.  Both of which were solved by lighter firing pin springs.

I cant say the same for other brands.  Remington UMC, for example, falls in the junk category in my experience.
Link Posted: 5/31/2012 2:57:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
From THE people who make the gun and handles the lifetime warranty.....

But is your gun.......

I hate it when people trot out these lawarnings... Most of them are absolute asscovering.  If Wolf blows up your gun, Wolf buys you a new one, JUST LIKE WINCHESTER OR FEDERAL.

Remember, most manufacturers also tell you not to shoot reloads - INCLUDING blue box BLACK HILLS...

Shoot it, and make sure it works, if it doesent, adjust your gas system and try again...
Link Posted: 5/31/2012 9:14:43 PM EDT
[#17]
I shot 100rds of Brown Bear through my Izzy...........

My butt was clenched the entire time, but I had no problems.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top