Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2017 12:06:36 AM EDT
I have always wanted an M1A rifle, loved them since I was a kid and finally decided to get one. I was set for a long time on the scout, size, versatility of the 18" barrel etc. I can get the M1A loaded for basically the same exact price as the scout. I have been doing a lot of reading, people seem to love the Scout and say the Loaded M1A is worth the upgrade from standard.

I will use it mostly for fun at the range, I am not a match shooter and don't plan to suddenly become one. I will take it pig hunting, possibly for deer or similar, but that is it. Since the prices are basically the same (within $15-20), anyone have any advice on one over the other?

This will be the first M1A and maybe down the road I will get the other one (which ever I don't get right now), but maybe not, I could be happy with just the one, I thought the same with ARs, but now I have 6 of them. hahaha.

Appreciate any and all thoughts/perspectives.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 1:27:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I think the only reason to get the loaded would be if you're just wanting to shoot it at the range, longer range, or compete.   I have a loaded and it's accurate.  But honestly, I'd rather have a standard.   Although I'm pretty sure it wouldn't shoot as accurate.  Which is part of the fun.  But what you want it for, I'd take the scout.  It will be a lot handier moving around.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 11:07:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Tough call, but if ur going to use it for hog killing I'd get the scout and throw an aimpoint on it.  

I've wanted a m1a for 20 yrs, I've got a lot of ars, custom bolt guns(including an AIAE), but no m1a.  A week ago I decided to trade a scar16 straight across for a m1a nm.  It's a 07 vintage but only has 100rds on it and a safe queen, so pristine.  After that trade, I found a lnib standard m1a in walnut, with a 4th gen S.A. mount for 1200.  I traded a 6.5grendel ar for it, I hated to plink and shoot 1000s of rds through that nm.  The shop that had the standard had a 18, i think i would have got it if it was in walnut, and not the plastic stock.  My allure to the m1a is in the look of the 22" and the blued and walnut.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 11:10:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Scouts sure are nice, but the loaded is such a nice rifle.   That extra length probably won't make a huge difference hunting unless you are in some really thick stuff, and the slight weight difference probably won't matter much either unless you have a major hike in and out.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 2:00:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Scouts sure are nice, but the loaded is such a nice rifle.   That extra length probably won't make a huge difference hunting unless you are in some really thick stuff, and the slight weight difference probably won't matter much either unless you have a major hike in and out.
View Quote
Spoken like a true BadA@#.    I've not handled a scout too much to know if it's much lighter.  But I adhere to the premise that every ounce out front feels like a pound.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 12:47:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Spoken like a true BadA@#.    I've not handled a scout too much to know if it's much lighter.  But I adhere to the premise that every ounce out front feels like a pound.  
View Quote
Ha!  Many on here are much more  qualified than me for the bad arse title!  I've shot both casually and own a loaded,  but by no means have years of packing them in the wild from which to base my opinion.  From my limited experience the scout is a little lighter and handier, but not to the point of being far superior to a full length rifle.  Plus, the scout does have a little more muzzle rise even with the factory brake * where legal.

In my very humble opinion it would be like comparing a 16" Ar15 to a 14.5" Ar15, even though on paper a 20" to 14.5" AR15 comparison might be what first comes to mind
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:46:43 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd go with the Loaded model, full length barrel, higher velocities, classic look, nicer parts.  That's my vote.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 11:55:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Tough call, but if ur going to use it for hog killing I'd get the scout and throw an aimpoint on it.  

I've wanted a m1a for 20 yrs, I've got a lot of ars, custom bolt guns(including an AIAE), but no m1a.  A week ago I decided to trade a scar16 straight across for a m1a nm.  It's a 07 vintage but only has 100rds on it and a safe queen, so pristine.  After that trade, I found a lnib standard m1a in walnut, with a 4th gen S.A. mount for 1200.  I traded a 6.5grendel ar for it, I hated to plink and shoot 1000s of rds through that nm.  The shop that had the standard had a 18, i think i would have got it if it was in walnut, and not the plastic stock.  My allure to the m1a is in the look of the 22" and the blued and walnut.
View Quote
werd
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 8:10:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I have both. Scout and Stainless loaded.

The Scout sees all the action. I found a 2X aimpoint for the rail and It is by far my favorite rifle of everything I have.

With a AAC 7.62SD its about the same length as a Loaded except it's QUIET. (relatively compared to the unmuffled loaded model)
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 10:09:06 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a Loaded, and it's my favorite rifle I own. That being said, FPNI. It is nice because I can use it at a service rifle comp or taking a longer shot. cool. What I use it for MORE though is hunting. Don't get me wrong, the Loaded is a blast to hunt with! But I kinda wish I'd gotten the 18" Scout model just because it's a little easier to handle in the woods (they're thick where I hunt, haven't had a chance to make it to a GMU where I can take a long shot) than the 22" Loaded.

I can't recommend against the SOCOM 16 enough. That gun sucks.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 1:04:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, my BIL owned a polytech and I actually had it for a while.  It was handier and lighter.  The wood they use is real light too.  One time I fondled a standard in a synthetic stock (springfield) and I was in love.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 5:12:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Scout will do everything you are asking, and it is what you want.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 11:08:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Have both and shoot both pretty decent. Have not gone longer ranges then 200 and both are very accurate. Loaded is a little softer shooting, but not much.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 12:02:06 AM EDT
[#13]
GF just bought a Loaded yesterday. It's on the way to her now. She was trying to decide on what model Scout or Loaded. She found a lightly used loaded for 1100 and FO'd hard.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 6:21:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I've got both. 22" Fulton Armory and a 22" LRB/SEI Crazy Horse mounted in an older Springfield M21 adjustable stock.
My favorite, hands down, WITHOUT A DOUBT is a 18.5" LRB Scout. It's in a USGI fiberglass stock,
Ultimak rail installed with an Aimpoint Comp ML3. I found the Aimpoint 10818 extra wide 30mm wide mount gives me perfect
cheekweld. Probably one of the lowest mounts available and works perfect on the Ultimak w/the Aimpoint optic. It's faster,
lighter and just feels great. One of my favorites, if not my favorite rife to shoot. Buy one, you'll never look back!
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 11:07:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've got both. 22" Fulton Armory and a 22" LRB/SEI Crazy Horse mounted in an older Springfield M21 adjustable stock.
My favorite, hands down, WITHOUT A DOUBT is a 18.5" LRB Scout. It's in a USGI fiberglass stock,
Ultimak rail installed with an Aimpoint Comp ML3. I found the Aimpoint 10818 extra wide 30mm wide mount gives me perfect
cheekweld. Probably one of the lowest mounts available and works perfect on the Ultimak w/the Aimpoint optic. It's faster,
lighter and just feels great. One of my favorites, if not my favorite rife to shoot. Buy one, you'll never look back!
View Quote
Sounds almost exactly like my S.A. Scout. Using an Aimpoint Comp, ver 1, with the same setup. Almost cowitnesses too.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 12:27:33 AM EDT
[#16]
You didn't mention your age or your how good your eyes are.

I can tell you this. My son is 20 years old and has had his Loaded M1A since high school graduation (yes he has awesome uncles)

He has very good eye sight but found out very quickly if it isn't a nice bright day and the deer isn't out in an open field you can forget it. The NM peep is simply too small.

In the woods it's useless.

Thus he hunts with the Garand and even with it on an overcast day it's a both eye open proposition in the woods.

All other aspects of the Loaded Model is great. It is accurate and has a good trigger. I have had a scope on it and it wasn't any less impressive with the optics mounted but the boy don't like it with the scope mounted.

So if you don't mine changing the peep or mounting optics I can safely recommend the Loaded Model. If not get something else.

Motor
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 4:05:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You didn't mention your age or your how good your eyes are.

I can tell you this. My son is 20 years old and has had his Loaded M1A since high school graduation (yes he has awesome uncles)

He has very good eye sight but found out very quickly if it isn't a nice bright day and the deer isn't out in an open field you can forget it. The NM peep is simply too small.

In the woods it's useless.

Thus he hunts with the Garand and even with it on an overcast day it's a both eye open proposition in the woods.

All other aspects of the Loaded Model is great. It is accurate and has a good trigger. I have had a scope on it and it wasn't any less impressive with the optics mounted but the boy don't like it with the scope mounted.

So if you don't mine changing the peep or mounting optics I can safely recommend the Loaded Model. If not get something else.

Motor
View Quote
Does he wear a baseball hat?  I had that happen to me once using my Garand.  Jumped a deer in thick stuff, threw gun up, sun was at my back, all I could see was the rear aperture lit up like a headlight.  So any time I shoot an apertures sighted gun, I make sure I have a brim on my hat (didn't that day, just a blaze orange winter hat) and it shades any sunlight.  The NM ap might still be too small.  But I put a USGI ap on my Loaded.  

It is why I prefer an A2 sight on an AR.    I love the ghostring and use it quite a bit.  It's more accurate than you would think at reasonable ranges.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 9:36:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Scout will do everything you are asking, and it is what you want.
View Quote
Agreed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top