Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/2/2017 6:20:57 PM EDT
When it comes to these rifles I'm not familiar and wanted to know what I have here. I found both of these in a pawn shop and am curious if I should buy these. Could someone educate me on what i have here?

M1 Garand
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

M1Carbine
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Fo or no fo?
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 6:24:57 PM EDT
[#1]
The M1 is post-Korea.  
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 6:27:27 PM EDT
[#2]
M1 carbine serial numbers.

http://uscarbinecal30m1.com/Production.aspx
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 6:30:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Depends on price.  More pics of the Carbine would be nice.  They both look to be USGI.  The Garand looks refinished, possibly.  But I'm not an expert.  Just looks too grey to me.  It's obviously re imported.   Or brought back from somewhere.  

Does the carbine say Inland underneath the rear sight?  Can you tell?  Probably is.  But it could be something else.  Inland barrels were put on other company's guns.  

I'll take a stab at price.....  I probably shouldn't someone will tell me I'm nuts.  I haven't shopped for either in a long time.  600 for either would be a good / fair deal.   Given they are in order and not shot out.  

You can do a little muzzle test on either.  Take an M2 ball round, if you have one and stick in muzzle.  If they swallow it up to the brass, the muzzle wear is significant.  If it sticks out a bit, less muzzle wear.  There's not really an easy throat erosion test that I know of......

That's my unsolicited, unpaid for, and un expert opinions.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 6:30:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The M1 is post-Korea.  
View Quote
Maybe that's why it's so grey.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 6:31:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
M1 carbine serial numbers.

http://uscarbinecal30m1.com/Production.aspx
View Quote
Thanks

Know anything on the Garand?

Bishop3
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 6:35:53 PM EDT
[#6]
They are well over priced then:

Garand is $1100
M1 Carbine about $789

I'll probably pass, but wanted to see if they were something not to pass up.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 6:39:27 PM EDT
[#7]
The Blue Sky Garand is way over priced.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 6:41:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The Blue Sky Garand is way over priced.
View Quote
Thank you for your input.

Bishop3
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 6:44:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Thanks

Know anything on the Garand?

Bishop3
View Quote
Post WWII serial number
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 6:44:25 PM EDT
[#10]
The Garand is stamped Blue Sky Import.  That stamp was often looked down upon by collectors, but I've heard that perspective is changing.  Some consider it just part of the rifle's history.  It could be a fine shooter.

The Inland carbine looks interesting with it's matching barrel.  If it's reasonably correct, 600 could be a steal. 

More pics of both are needed.  And a set of gauges to determine muzzle and throat erosion.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 6:51:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The M1 is post-Korea.  
Agreed.  Early Garands were darker and those slathered in oil and cosmoline for decades got a tinge to them as well.

The barrel date of October 53 might be original, but my money would be on a forced match.

The 4.7M serial number is mid-year 1954.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 6:56:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The Garand is stamped Blue Sky Import.  That stamp was often looked down upon by collectors, but I've heard that perspective is changing.  Some consider it just part of the rifle's history.  It could be a fine shooter.

The Inland carbine looks interesting with it's matching barrel.  If it's reasonably correct, 600 could be a steal. 

More pics of both are needed.  And a set of gauges to determine muzzle and throat erosion.
View Quote
I have one and it is a good shooter, I've been meaning to replace the bbl for a while, need to do it one of these days. Still, I wouldn't think a Blue Sky is worth half what that seller is asking.

The ones you really have to stay away from are the M1 Carbines imported by Blue Sky as their stamp tended to warp barrels.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 7:55:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I have one and it is a good shooter, I've been meaning to replace the bbl for a while, need to do it one of these days. Still, I wouldn't think a Blue Sky is worth half what that seller is asking.

The ones you really have to stay away from are the M1 Carbines imported by Blue Sky as their stamp tended to warp barrels.
View Quote
Any Garand in decent shape is worth at least $700-800 now. That may change, but with CMP running on empty that's how the market is.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 9:12:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Agreed.  Early Garands were darker and those slathered in oil and cosmoline for decades got a tinge to them as well.

The barrel date of October 53 might be original, but my money would be on a forced match.

The 4.7M serial number is mid-year 1954.
View Quote
Parts often sat in bins for years before being put on rifles.  The (real) Springfield Armory didn't get lathered about "correct" rifles.

Link Posted: 6/2/2017 11:08:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
it's a replacement barrel on that carbine....
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 11:41:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Why do you say that Jeremy?  I'm just curious.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 2:32:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Why do you say that Jeremy?  I'm just curious.
View Quote
mid '44 barrel date...and early-mid '43 serial number
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 7:43:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
Are you sure it's an Inland Receiver?  I didn't see if he posted what it was for sure.  I do know the barrels got spread around.  I have an Inland receiver with an IBM barrel.  And I'm pretty sure Canfields book confirms that was not all that odd to happen. The difference in date might mean they were hanging onto the receiver until they had more barrels.  But it does seem like a big difference.  But it may very well be a different gun maker than Inland that got an Inland barrel.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 8:35:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Are you sure it's an Inland Receiver?  I didn't see if he posted what it was for sure.  I do know the barrels got spread around.  I have an Inland receiver with an IBM barrel.  And I'm pretty sure Canfields book confirms that was not all that odd to happen. The difference in date might mean they were hanging onto the receiver until they had more barrels.  But it does seem like a big difference.  But it may very well be a different gun maker than Inland that got an Inland barrel.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
994xxx is an Inland serial number...  and it's late '43 receiver.  (I was off earlier)  The 1 millionth Inland carbine was delivered in Dec '43 so this is not the original barrel.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 11:25:18 PM EDT
[#20]
If the carbine has a good barrel and is not imported then the price is fair.  They are not getting any cheaper, doubt you are going to find a M1 carbine much cheaper at any kind of pawn shop or gun shop in any part of the country.  Perhaps a lower price from an individual but even then you would have to be patient and diligent in looking.  

I find it amusing when people comment that it is just a "mix master" or that it is an import.  My opinion is that if it is all USGI then it is a correct rifle.  I am going to assume that unless there is very good documentation on a particular rifle all M1 Garands and Carbines have been rebuild at some point to some degree.  There is a neatness factor to having an all matching rifle, maybe a small premium in price but again unless there is some documentation I assume someone put it together that way and therefore not factory original.  If is factory original with documentation it is going to be a lot more than $1100.

Any rifle similar to the ones you are looking at I put in the shooter grade category. That being said barrel condition, stock condition and overall finish should be the deciding factors in pricing a rifle.  Shooter grade rifles are ranging from $800-1100 right now.  Even CMP field grades with 3+ MW and TE are priced above $1000 in most part of the country.

Looking a the two rifles I would choose the carbine first.  As long as the barrel looks good and not worn.  Even if the the CMP gets 86,000 Garands and/or carbines from the Philippines I don't see prices going down.  
Offer $1500-1600 for both.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 12:12:25 PM EDT
[#21]
the garand sights set way to the left would make me require a test shooting or just pass on it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 3:44:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Both are a bit overpriced.

The bbl is correct on the 4.3 mil Garand and installed by Springfield, Punched P and T ( Targeted ) stamp. It has a Korean light grey repark as it originally would have been Dark almost black Grey/Green Parked by SA.

Blue Sky's / Excells generally had good bbls.........Arlingtons not so much...

Of the two the Inland carbine if the bbl is good is closer to a fair asking price of the two. Garand is worth $650-800 dep on local market.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 4:12:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Carbines rarely go for under $750 in any semblance of decent condition these days.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 1:08:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Ive owned a Blue Sky M1 and seen others. Never saw one with a USGI stock, and that one is real nice. Normally Chu wood replacement stocks is what they came in with. Is the stock and trigger group tight to the reciever? Mine was wore out and needed replacement to get it to shoot less than 7moa, no joke. Barrel wasnt too bad, swalloed a bullet 2/3rds of the way. The grey is what they are known for and is a dead giveaway if nothing else. Paid $450 for it 5 years ago if that means anything. She was in rough shape overall and i was able to correct it for about $250, plus what Shuffs charged me to check everything, park it correctly, and rebuild it. Wouldnt dare attempt it today with the cost of parts. But for what they are asking, you can definitly get a much nicer Garand.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top