Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2017 11:59:02 PM EDT
I've been wanting to know exactly how the Safety Bridge should work and what it's exact role is. It's a difficult to see location as I have tried to see the surfaces where the "claw" on the firing pin makes contact. I believe it's to assist in preventing out of battery discharges, but I would think that it also should absorb much of the firing pins inertia as the bolt slows down to rotate into the closed position.

Ultimately, how can a person tell if the Safety Bridge is correctly "timed"?
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 12:53:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Perfectly the bridge should catch the firing pin if the pin is stuck forward and completely block toe if bolt not even close to rotating closed.

Timing of the bridge is inspected when the recvr was made.

The biggest issue is people not replacing firing pins when the tip of the foot is worn out or badly battered out of spec.

Also the hammer cannot hit the firing pin till bolt is rotated into battery, if is close to being in battery the hammer will cam the bolt the rest of the way home usually with enough force to set of primer sometimes not.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 8:06:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Perfectly the bridge should catch the firing pin if the pin is stuck forward and completely block toe if bolt not even close to rotating closed.

Timing of the bridge is inspected when the recvr was made.

The biggest issue is people not replacing firing pins when the tip of the foot is worn out or badly battered out of spec.

Also the hammer cannot hit the firing pin till bolt is rotated into battery, if is close to being in battery the hammer will cam the bolt the rest of the way home usually with enough force to set of primer sometimes not.
View Quote
What he said PLUS it also tested at Depot? rebuilds...
The depot Gage (aka receiver stretch gage) also tests if the firing pin bridge OR the locking lugs in the receiver are worn testing for wear in either place... which would allow an out battery condition even if headspace is fine and you have inspec firing pins and bolt.

Here is my gage...the circled part is what shows if it's good or not
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top