Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2017 12:27:28 PM EDT
Really digging it so far.  I've wanted an M1A for years.  My only complaint thus far is the sights.  I looked at changing them out but I think I'm going to throw a micro Aimpoint on it and call it a day.

My go-to rifle is a 10.5" Radian AR so my intended use for this is as a camping/brush/woods rifle.  The 16" barrel really makes it quite handy and there are no issues with the barrel hitting the ground while carrying African style.

The rifle was originally black so I decided to do a little rattle can job on the stock.  It's my first camo attempt so go easy .  The clear coat glossed it up a bit but I'm sure that'll wear with use.  I only have 300 down the pipe so far but there is no signs of reliability issues.  I'm happy

Link Posted: 5/18/2017 12:31:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I envy you. I've wanted one of these for some time. I just can't justify paying the $$ for it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 1:10:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got a std, 22" bbl M1A and really like it's performance at longer range.  I added a NM rear aperture so it does pretty well at steel plates out at 400yds.  Do you have an idea of velocity reduction with such a short barrel?  I've heard that the 16" will produce about 2,500fps with std M80 ball, however, I'm skeptical that the difference is only 300fps for a 27% shorter barrel.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 2:04:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I split the difference with you guys and got a scout.
Using irons for now but thinking about a rds.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 2:07:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Super nice OP.  I've only shot one once but I really liked it.  It was handy, seemed accurate (although I was shooting offhand at 100 yards at clays) and felt recoil seemed less than the longer barrels.  

What's wrong with the sights?  I'm guessing you are thinking they're not overly precise.  Would be interesting to see how good a guy could do with them at 100.   I think for low light they would be a good deal though.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 2:46:10 PM EDT
[#5]
DBL Tap
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 2:46:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've got a std, 22" bbl M1A and really like it's performance at longer range.  I added a NM rear aperture so it does pretty well at steel plates out at 400yds.  Do you have an idea of velocity reduction with such a short barrel?  I've heard that the 16" will produce about 2,500fps with std M80 ball, however, I'm skeptical that the difference is only 300fps for a 27% shorter barrel.
View Quote
From the charts I've seen it's 200-300fps for any given load.  Personally, I'll take the FPS reduction for the added maneuverability. It's still quite the thumper!
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 2:48:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I split the difference with you guys and got a scout.
Using irons for now but thinking about a rds.
View Quote
It was a hard decision between the two.  I like the idea of a micro red dot.  It's low-profile and gives you the advantage with low-light shooting. I'm also much faster with a dot than I am with irons.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 2:49:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Super nice OP.  I've only shot one once but I really liked it.  It was handy, seemed accurate (although I was shooting offhand at 100 yards at clays) and felt recoil seemed less than the longer barrels.  

What's wrong with the sights?  I'm guessing you are thinking they're not overly precise.  Would be interesting to see how good a guy could do with them at 100.   I think for low light they would be a good deal though.  
View Quote
Yeah, the front sight is pretty thick.  It makes distance shooting difficult.  Probably better for close-in low light shooting, but that's why I'm getting a RD.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 10:10:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I installed a Smith Ent #2001-GL SOCOM 16 Gas Lock, Smith Ent Vortex FS #1000VUSGI, a NM front sight, and a standard USGI rear sight aperture.

Tremendous increase in sight picture precision, and thus accuracy. A major improvement for me.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 4:54:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Take a look at the Holosun HS503G-ACSS RD.  

I put one on my Kryptec SOCOM 16.  It has a 0 MOA at the tip of the chevron and BDC for the .308 out to 600 yds.  All inside a 65 MOA circle.  It does not mess with the cheek weld, it is same size as the Aimpoint T1/2.

It does not increase wt. by much and allows for longer ranges than std. RD.  Lets the .308 stretch it's legs.  

I'm happy, however the reticle is small.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 7:40:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Take a look at the Holosun HS503G-ACSS RD.  

I put one on my Kryptec SOCOM 16.  It has a 0 MOA at the tip of the chevron and BDC for the .308 out to 600 yds.  All inside a 65 MOA circle.  It does not mess with the cheek weld, it is same size as the Aimpoint T1/2.

It does not increase wt. by much and allows for longer ranges than std. RD.  Lets the .308 stretch it's legs.  

I'm happy, however the reticle is small.
View Quote
That sure does look interesting!!  I'll have to do some research to see how it holds up to .308 use.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 1:49:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Off-topic a little but what chest rig is that?
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 8:23:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Off-topic a little but what chest rig is that?
View Quote
http://www.skdtac.com/ATS-762-Split-Front-Chest-Harness-p/ats.514.htm

Link Posted: 5/20/2017 8:26:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Congrats!  Beautiful rifle.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 10:01:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Nice rifle and congrats !!! I love the M1A Rifles
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:52:19 AM EDT
[#17]
I made mine into a scout scope setup.  No problem taking deer at 300 yards.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 12:13:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
One of the wonderful things about .308 is the limited velocity loss in shorter barrels.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 12:53:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
I've seen 2450 up to about 2550 from various M80 ball in 16" AR308s. I'd have to recheck my notes but I'm at work right now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top