Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/9/2017 2:48:29 PM EDT
If you wanted to suppress an M1a scout what would be your necessary upgrades? I realize that it isn't an ideal host, but I have it and I have the Dead Air Sandman S already so I would like to combine them.

So far my list is an adjustable gas plug and a new front sight base so I can add the QD flash hider needed to mount the suppressor. What brands are good and what are to be avoided?
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 12:19:55 AM EDT
[#1]
My scout is suppressed.

I did not change the gas plug. The oem one worked fine. I did replace the gas lock with one that had a rail on it and just moved my front sight off the flash hider to that. Zero did not change.

Suppressor is a AAC 7.62 There is not much space between the gas plug and the suppressor body when it's tightened down, but as long as they don't touch there shouldn't be an issue. There might be 1/32 of an inch there. That is plenty.

It works well.

My gas lock is the Smith Enterprise one.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 1:47:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Way less gas to the face if you use the adjustable ^
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 2:04:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I have never had an issue withbgas in the face with mine.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 8:06:16 PM EDT
[#4]
@Wile E Coyote or Getnlwr

Any chance you can post pics of the front end with and without your suppressor?

Cheers,
U2AV8R
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 8:34:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Sure. Will be later on tonight.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 4:20:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 4:43:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Walk me through this. How did you get the 5/8x24 can to thread onto your barrel?
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 5:54:35 PM EDT
[#8]
My can is not threaded in 5/8 x 24. The AAC flash hider that the can mounts to is threaded .595"-32 That thread pitch is specific to US made M14 Style rifles. The flash hider available is in nearly all 308 thread patterns in use. I have 4 of them in a couple different patterns so I can use this can on different rifles. Just the M1A pattern and 5/8x24 for my rem 700 and my RRA LAR8. The only un used one is for another M1A. I have the rifle I just have not installed it onto it yet. I'm in the market for another M1A medium weight barrel equipped rifle to go into an MCS chassis and will get this flash hider. (we're calling it the "Spite gun", since it's made with Springfield armory and TROY components)

There are multiple adapters that are small adding only an inch or so in length that will turn this thread patter into a 5/8X24 if this is what is needed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top