Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2017 11:03:39 PM EDT
My post showing my very first dummy round is located here.

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=786210

Load data is:
110gr FMJ
13.5gr IMR 4227 (11rds)
14gr IMR 4227 (10rds)
14.5gr IMR 4227 (10rds)
CCI SRP
Brass trimmed to 1.285
OAL 1.685

I loaded up a total of 31 rounds. 11 rounds were loaded with 13.5gr of IMR 4227, 10 with 14gr and 10 with 14.5gr. Two carbines were used, a Quality Hardware and a Saginaw. All rounds fed and fired without any issues other than one round that caught the edge of the feed ramp. The round chambered and fired without issue after I reloaded it.

The range tested was only 25 yds. I was not really going for accuracy but more for function. It looks like 13.5gr of IMR was the most accurate loading. Next time out will be for accuracy and distance. The 3 shots in the middle are from factory 30 Carbine hunting ammo. The Quality Hardware shot that one.

All in all, I think my first loads did very well. There is no signs of overpressure so I will stick with one of the three loads.

Link Posted: 5/3/2017 12:02:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Sweeeet.  I bet that was fun!  I heard one guy talking about handloading .30 carbine and he said he really had to crank on them to seat them.  Did u find that to be true?
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 11:56:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Especially with vintage guns the lowest power load that provides function and sufficient accuracy is the way to go
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 7:36:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sweeeet.  I bet that was fun!  I heard one guy talking about handloading .30 carbine and he said he really had to crank on them to seat them.  Did u find that to be true?
View Quote
No sir. Case lube made the job easy.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 2:56:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Aaaaaah.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 3:30:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep, even with a carbide resizing die, I've found that lubing the brass to resize it makes it a whole lot easier.  I'm told that the slight taper of the brass is what makes them tough to resize.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top