Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2017 5:15:52 PM EDT
Had my riding mower posted on craglist for 2 weeks. Had a older gentleman contact me about wanting to buy it. Delivered it to him (1Hr away). Got to talking and told him I was a gun guy and he said his father (passed) was a gun collector. Said he mainly collected M1 Carbines and had over 200 guns at one point. Dont know if they were all M1 carbines.  But he brought out a IBM M1 carbine in the box coated in cosmoline. Barrel date is 12-43 looks to be a arsenal update. Has Adjustable sights and bayonet lug. He also gave me 3 mags look to be 10 or 20 rounders 2 are still in the wax paper. On the bottom of the barrel under the front sight you can see INTRAC TN so import gun. We did the trade and he gave me $200 ontop of the gun. How did I do?

Mower was appraised by a friend in the tractor business between $800-$1000 private sale. It did need new rear tires and he was made aware of that.

photo hosting
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:32:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Clean her up and post some more photos. I think you've done well. I don't know much about these other than I want one. That appears to be a pretty good specimen.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 12:02:57 PM EDT
[#2]
You stole that from him.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 12:18:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Your gun most likely came from Austria, slight possibly it's from Bavarian police. Any marks on the trigger housing?

Here's some really interesting stuff I found, scroll down about 2/3 of the page:

http://www.bavarianm1carbines.com/imports.html

The import mark was applied using a Hermes engraver, which allowed for precise placement of the marking on the bottom of the barrel adjacent the rear of the front sight. The depth of the import mark varied, making some of the markings difficult to see. Some of these have been later found with the importer marking removed.

The condition of the carbines when they were received by INTRAC has been described as generally very good to excellent condition, with the exception being some of the stocks had been damaged. Very few had rust or pitting. Some of the carbines were in protective long term storage grease. The majority of carbines not in grease were well cared for and sighted in accurately. INTRAC was advised by the Austrians that the carbines had been qualified with yearly, visually inspected, cleaned, and if stored, placed back in storage.

The majority of the M1 carbines had no markings other than the original American manufacturer markings. The largest quantity that had markings, had them on the bottom of the trigger housing (Gendarmerie markings). This indicates the carbines INTRAC purchased also came from the Bundespolizei and/or Bundesheer, who did not mark the carbines they used. This means there are M1 carbines that were imported from Austria that the only clue they were used in Austria would be the presence of an INTRAC import mark.

Many of the carbines had markings from a Bavaria law enforcement agency, but the majority had no such markings. INTRAC was told by the Austrians that their country had purchased several thousand M1 carbines previously used by Bavaria from an American company in 1956 due to the Hungarian Crises. This means there are M1 carbines with Bavaria markings and no Austria markings that the only clue they were used in Austria would be the presence of an INTRAC import mark. Some of the carbines imported by INTRAC have both an Austrian and German agency marking. The Austrians did not disturb German markings that were present (with a few exceptions). INTRAC imported no other M1 carbines, only those they obtained from the Austria. The Austrian company sold INTRAC only carbines that had been obtained from Austria.

The carbines were sold by INTRAC in the condition and configuration in which INTRAC received them. INTRAC did not repair, replace, or switch any parts. Many carbines were received with a leather sling attached (see Austria Accessories), a paper tag with an officers name and location the carbine was used by the Austrian Gendarmerie (see The Carbines, Austria), a rubber rear sight protector (see Austria Accessories), a colorful sticker affixed to the stock in a manner consistent with a rack marking denoting the Austrian unit to which it was assigned (seeking examples), and/or a wood dowel in place of a oiler. If a carbine had one or more of these items when INTRAC received it, when INTRAC sold the carbine the item(s) went with it, undisturbed.

Amongst the parts INTRAC received from Austria were thousands of original GI 15 round magazines and many GI 30 round magazines. BATF advised INTRAC these were in violation of laws limiting magazine capacity. INTRAC rented a concrete/asphalt roller, placed the magazines in their parking lot, and flattened all of them. The metal was sold as scrap. Shortly thereafter BATF stated they had made a mistake, the magazines were legal for INTRAC to import and sell.

INTRAC had arranged for the remaining 7,000-8,000 M1 carbines to be sent in a second shipment in the latter part of 1995. Between the first shipment and this second shipment, Secretary of State Madeline Albright initiated administrative action that prevented INTRAC from importing the rest of the M1 carbines. They were returned to the Austrian company and sold outside America.

Included in the second shipment were M1 carbines used by the Austrian agency known as Zoll (their version of customs and immigration). In the late 1990's and as late as 2007 the carbines used by Zoll were being sold by Euroarms in Italy (see The Carbines, Austria).
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 2:32:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 2:39:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You stole that from him.
View Quote
Yes he did.

An even trade would have been fair with you coming out for the better by a slight bit.  But when he threw you the extra cash, thats when it became robbery.  

Btw, carbine mags are 15 and 30 round capacity.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 9:12:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yes he did.

An even trade would have been fair with you coming out for the better by a slight bit.  But when he threw you the extra cash, thats when it became robbery.  

Btw, carbine mags are 15 and 30 round capacity.
View Quote
^This^
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 9:54:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I think you did just fine on that one.

It's have made the trade in a heartbeat!
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 8:28:17 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a local gunsmith looking at it. He is very knowledgeable on military rifles. Said he will clean all of the cosmoline off and go thru the rifle and write down all of the identifying marks on the various parts and will give me a appraisal. All of this for $30.00.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 8:30:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Your gun most likely came from Austria, slight possibly it's from Bavarian police. Any marks on the trigger housing?

Here's some really interesting stuff I found, scroll down about 2/3 of the page:

http://www.bavarianm1carbines.com/imports.html
View Quote
Yes I found that website and read thru it when I got home. I looked on the trigger guard housing and found nothing. But I could have looked over something because of the grease.

I should have it back around Wednesday of this week. So we will see.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 8:53:51 AM EDT
[#10]
You did ok but I believe the collectors really hate import marks so that would cut down the collectors value a bit.

The m1 carbines are great shooters, great fun gun and nearly perfect for the smaller folks (women and kids ) to get started on due to modest size and recoil . Don't get me wrong , they are just fine for regular sized folks also.

The real measure of how your deal went is the condition of the barrel and other parts. Usually the carbines fared well in this respect because carbine ammo was non-corossive from the start.

Please update your post after your guy cleans it up
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 2:35:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You did ok but I believe the collectors really hate import marks so that would cut down the collectors value a bit.

The m1 carbines are great shooters, great fun gun and nearly perfect for the smaller folks (women and kids ) to get started on due to modest size and recoil . Don't get me wrong , they are just fine for regular sized folks also.

The real measure of how your deal went is the condition of the barrel and other parts. Usually the carbines fared well in this respect because carbine ammo was non-corossive from the start.

Please update your post after your guy cleans it up
View Quote
I will post some better pics when I get it back. And will share whatever info the guy gives me.

I think this guy hand a number more of these carbines. He was showing me his shop and some of the old cars he was restoring and he opened a drawer on a tool chest and their was at least 2 carbines in their possibly 3. Did see a 03 Springfield in another drawer he showed me. Very nice guy.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 4:21:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Tag for later
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 8:52:02 PM EDT
[#13]
OST for pics and updates!
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 3:01:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Not getting it back today. The gunsmith is backed up but has torn it down some and gone thru it.

As of now.

IBM - receiver
Inland- Barrel (not correct) He said IBM made their own.
Rear Sight- is a upgraded adjustable sight
Front barrel band- upgraded for the baynet lug
The rear block which the receiver rest is a Winchester made part. From what he said should of had a U for IBM.

He said the gun is in really good condition. Going to be a good shooter but is not factory correct. His guess is a arsenal rebuild. His estimated worth $700-$750

Should be Monday when I get it back in hand. Will provide a update then with better photos.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 4:05:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I have one from intrac I think I bought from centerfire systems in 94 or 95,  it has no markings on it but the stamps here and there,  inland on barrel and inland on the receiver

nothing on trigger guard.  anyone an expert I can send a few pictures to?

(op hope you dont mind me piggy backing)
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 4:51:57 PM EDT
[#16]
That is a cool rifle. Good luck with it!
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 9:24:22 PM EDT
[#17]
I would doubt arsenal rebuild.  Way to many different parts.  Probably just a parts gun, which really isn't a big deal.

http://uscarbinecal30m1.com/Production.aspx

You can put your serial number in under my carbine, and it will list all the correct parts that should be in the gun.  The safety, rear sight, and barrel band (bayonet lug) were pretty much all updated early on and are worth a ton of money.  I paid $175 for just the correct rear site.

There are also a ton of repo parts out there too.  Fun guns and easy to bump fire, enjoy.

Jason

It also has a full-auto bolt.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 5:59:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Nice trade . looking forward to the next pictures
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 1:33:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Got the gun back today and I am very happy.

This is the information he gave me.

Type IV safety new design adopted early 45. All Carbines going thru arsenal rebuild had replaced with these.

Type III rear sight

Recoil Plate Winchester

Type III Barrel band/bayonet lug

Winchester Stock

According to his book IBM made Bolts, receivers, barrels, Slides  with a total of 346,500 guns

My Barrel is incorrect, He could not tell me if the barrel swap tool place in a USA Arsenal Rebuild or over seas "Austrian/West Germany" Arsenal.

The bore is very very clean. It almost looks un-fired.

His estimated worth of the gun was $800.00

Sorry for the bad pics. Its raining outside.

img
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 2:55:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Vey nice, OP.  I have an IBM receiver, just need all the other bits.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 11:51:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Very nice.  I never get anything cool when I post something on craigslist!
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 9:14:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Nice! Go shoot that puppy!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top