Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/13/2017 7:13:06 PM EDT
Im not an M1 Carbine expert so, please, bear with me.

I'm holding a Quality Hardware M1 Carbine for a friend in a ban state. I have the go ahead to treat it as mine while it's in protective custody.

First time I shot it, after a couple of magazines without a hiccup, it malfunctioned. I'd rather not describe the malfunction. So, I took out the FCG and saw that the sear edge was worn, not nearly as sharp as it should be. Sear notch in the hammer (dog leg type II) looked a little worn as well.

I removed the FCG parts until I found a good condition QH sear.

Next time out...it failed to cycle after one or two shots. Manually cycle and same would happen.

When I took it apart, I saw that the trigger pin had walked out to the left. Even cycling the action vigorously with the stock off, I can see that it's walking out.

While I hope to  solve this with just a replacement trigger pin, I think it maybe the worn hammer notch is causing the "new" sear to cant, putting uneven pressure on the trigger pin.

So, finally, my question. Does it sound like I'm on the right track with this? Any other thoughts?

I'm trying to preserve the QH dogleg hammer but I'll throw in something more common if necessary to make it work. I'm not dropping the money for the right hammer on a gun that's not mine. And the doglegs cost a ton.

Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 3:58:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, maybe just try another hammer that might be more in spec if the hole is too big.  

It took a little bit of thinking and patience on my part to get mine running right.  But as of right now it's not malfing at all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top