Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2017 1:26:29 AM EDT
Need an approx value on a Springfield Armory original Navy 308 conversion M1 Garand. Serial # is 1139179. All parts original from the conversion. Will have it in my hands tomorrow. Pictures from seller look great. Better than my service grade M1s from CMP.  No import marts, nice wood, nice finish.

I'd be in it about $825.

FO time?

Snagged it. Pics here in my other GD thread

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1983582_Just-snagged-a-Navy-308-M1-Garand----what-can-you-tell-me-about-it--Pics-included.html
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 1:40:34 AM EDT
[#1]
If it's an original Navy conversion then $825 would likely be pretty close to outright theft, l would imagine.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 7:05:24 AM EDT
[#2]
More than 825. If that gun went through the CMP it'd be an auction gun and no telling how high it would go If it was as minty as you say.

We'll need pics.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 7:12:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I have one, I wouldn't let it go for double that.

The Navy 7.62x51 barrels were damn accurate.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 7:57:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have one, I wouldn't let it go for double that.

The Navy 7.62x51 barrels were damn accurate.
View Quote
The first I ever shot was a Navy 7.62 conversion.  There was a puddle behind a post at 600 yards.  I aimed at the post thinking I'd see where it hit.  Boom, thwack!   I hit the post.  

I was in love.  

825 is a good price for an M1 in .30-'06.  You got a heck of a price.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 9:57:02 AM EDT
[#5]
A lot of the CMP Navy Garands were sold as barreled receivers, not as complete guns.  Mine was.  So, defining what an "original" Navy Garand is, is hard to do.  They were made Post War, so they will have a collection of parts from all time periods.  My son fired mine once, and promptly claimed it as his.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 11:35:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
A lot of the CMP Navy Garands were sold as barreled receivers, not as complete guns.  Mine was.  So, defining what an "original" Navy Garand is, is hard to do.  They were made Post War, so they will have a collection of parts from all time periods.  My son fired mine once, and promptly claimed it as his.
View Quote
Well it's not hard..."Navy" garands have distinct markings...  the OPs rifle is some sort of civilian conversion...it's not military.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 9:28:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Well it's not hard..."Navy" garands have distinct markings...  the OPs rifle is some sort of civilian conversion...it's not military.
View Quote
I agree, that in some ways Navy Garands are not hard to identify.  However, only the earliest receivers were marked as such. Later on it was just the barrels that were marked.  Barrels can be removed and fitted to different receivers, which then makes it hard to tell if it is original.
But, I agree that is not a USGI Navy Garand barrel.  As was stated, Navy Garand barrels are marked 7.62NATO and the chambers are cut to NATO specs rather than tighter commercial specs.  The area where the caliber is stamped looks problematic, as it looks blued.  While the date on the barrel looks USGI, as well as the upside down "P", there is no barrel drawing number(part number).  I would agree with a previous poster that I wonder if it is a converted 30-06 barrel.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 9:32:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Regardless of original or not. That is a nice score OP.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 9:40:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Regardless of original or not. That is a nice score OP.
View Quote
No it isn't...It needs a new barrel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top