Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2017 4:56:20 PM EDT
When I bought this SA  M1 I intended to finish the wood stock but had second thoughts. I don't have the experience and was worried I would further weaken the original cartouche and further blemish the walnut stock. The wood does appear to be dry and I would like to wipe it down with something to preserve the original stock. Right now I have her in the safe in a silicon sock.    

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 5:14:25 PM EDT
[#1]
That looks like the 1/2" DAS that would have been common on the HRA's post WWII.

What does the "P" look like on the palm of the grip?

http://www.trfindley.com/pgsnstmpsm1.html

Hand rub some Pure Tung Oil (get the real stuff, not the Tung Oil finish) into it.   This is a good way to put some oil back in the stock and also help keep it in good condition.   Many furniture stores and sometimes hardware stores will have it.  I bought the "Old Masters" brand at one of our local furniture stores.

Example here form Wally World's online store

https://www.walmart.com/ip/25719309?wmlspartner=wmtlabs&adid=22222222222018018583&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=e&wl1=o&wl2=c&wl3=17603484019&wl4=kwd-1105758911326&wl12=25719309_10000002030&wl14=&veh=sem
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 6:05:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That looks like the 1/2" DAS that would have been common on the HRA's post WWII.

What does the "P" look like on the palm of the grip?

http://www.trfindley.com/pgsnstmpsm1.html

Hand rub some Pure Tung Oil (get the real stuff, not the Tung Oil finish) into it.   This is a good way to put some oil back in the stock and also help keep it in good condition.   Many furniture stores and sometimes hardware stores will have it.  I bought the "Old Masters" brand at one of our local furniture stores.

Example here form Wally World's online store

https://www.walmart.com/ip/25719309?wmlspartner=wmtlabs&adid=22222222222018018583&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=e&wl1=o&wl2=c&wl3=17603484019&wl4=kwd-1105758911326&wl12=25719309_10000002030&wl14=&veh=sem
View Quote
The P circled is relatively strong on the pistol grip. When I picked up the rifle to inspected it and rolled it over my hands several times I could swear I seen a faint second P just below the first. I'm going to get a picture of it and post later.

My serial number falls within this range #5844***

S/N 4,320,000-6,099,905 June 1953-June 1957 Department of Defense Acceptance Stamp (Eagle with 3 stars) .50" by .50". Other stamp used on the stocks was the circled 'P' proof mark (with serifs) on the pistol grip.

Added: After I scrolled all the way down the page I seen the HRAs and the stamps look the same to this amateurs eye as the SA

Thanks

Edit
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 1:51:39 AM EDT
[#3]
The profile around the receiver heel looks like SA, not HRA.  A pic of the grip area would also be good, as HRA's tend to have some distinct contouring around there, too.  And of course the Proof-P, serif vs. non-serif, is also a clue.

Another option for oil would be pure linseed oil, aka flaxseed oil, usually in the organic/health-food aisle at the grocery store.  The Brits insist on it for their Enfields... I've come to prefer it over BLO (boiled linseed oil... the stuff in a can isn't really "boiled" anymore, anyway) and PTO (pure tung oil), for a few different reasons.  Smells a little better than PTO, non-toxic (heck, food-grade!) unlike BLO, soaks in nicely, and so on.

That looks like a real nice stock, OP.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 3:39:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The profile around the receiver heel looks like SA, not HRA.  A pic of the grip area would also be good, as HRA's tend to have some distinct contouring around there, too.  And of course the Proof-P, serif vs. non-serif, is also a clue.

Another option for oil would be pure linseed oil, aka flaxseed oil, usually in the organic/health-food aisle at the grocery store.  The Brits insist on it for their Enfields... I've come to prefer it over BLO (boiled linseed oil... the stuff in a can isn't really "boiled" anymore, anyway) and PTO (pure tung oil), for a few different reasons.  Smells a little better than PTO, non-toxic (heck, food-grade!) unlike BLO, soaks in nicely, and so on.

That looks like a real nice stock, OP.

Well thank you sir . I was going to refinish it and thought about it. IMHO It needs to stay as original as possible I just need to refresh the stock. I'm going to get a pic of the grip asap so you guys can evaluate it Proof -P as well.  Would you go with linseed or pure tung oil ?  
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 5:53:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm thinking Springfield as well now that I look at the profile behind the receiver heel.  My HRA stock with 1/2 DAS has more wood showing due to how the palm and grip were cut.

Very nice stock OP!   The advice on Linseed oil is also good.   Hand rubbing in a good quality oil like that or PTO will really make that stock look great and last even longer.  If you think it is really dirty or feels really dirty you can lightly wipe it down with some mineral spirits to lift off some of the surface grime.  That won't harm the markings on the stock.

Just be prepared, when you first rub in the oil, it may look more glossy than you want.  Start with a small amount and hand rub with firm pressure until you feel your hand warming up.  Keep rubbing it in (you're giving the old girl a nice massage) and work the oil into the stock.  Then wipe off the excess with a lint free rag.   As it takes the oil the color will come out and some of the gloss will fade.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 6:09:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I cant thank you guys enough. I swear we have some of the nicest and brightest people on this site.

Dan
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top