Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/25/2017 9:38:14 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:09:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:12:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Very nice rifle, how much did it go for ?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:13:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Very nice.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:22:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:27:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Bought it from a member on the cmp forum. He built it with all springfield parts that were appropriate to the receiver. June of 44 receiver build. The barrel has no markings that I've found so from what I've read it's probably a marlin. Wood is well used which is what I wanted. It also has lockbar sights. I'll get it out next week and put some rounds through it.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/136887/20170325-101337-173915.jpg
View Quote
Marlins should be marked... usually on top...OR it's a Buffalo Arms.

If it's a WW2 Marlin it will be blued not parked...(i.e. blue marlin barrel). 

Even if it's a WRA barrel there should be some inspection marks there...

zero markings means it's likely a commercial barrel.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:27:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Very nice indeed!
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:14:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:49:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bought it from a member on the cmp forum. He built it with all springfield parts that were appropriate to the receiver. June of 44 receiver build. The barrel has no markings that I've found so from what I've read it's probably a marlin. Wood is well used which is what I wanted. It also has lockbar sights. I'll get it out next week and put some rounds through it.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/136887/20170325-101337-173915.jpg

Yeah, "no markings" is a bit suspicion since the OP stated the seller "built" this S.A. M1 with parts that are "correct" for the WW2 receiver date  -  June, 1944.

You'd think that in the process of scrounging all the other parts together, the seller would have gotten a USGI barrel that was stamped and dated correctly for the receiver.

Still, for what he OP paid, it's not a bad rifle at all.  He really needs to get out to the range and vet it for reliable function; otherwise, it's just a wall-hanger and historical specimen that you can't play with.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:04:16 AM EDT
[#9]
The rifle is well worth what you paid even if it is not correct parts. Good shooting
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:01:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:44:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'll look a little harder. I did pop off the top hand guard and didn't see anything. The only mark I found was a p stamped in it. I'll remove the other piece and inspect it a little better.
View Quote
pics if possible...

FYI wasn't dumping on you..

just trying to give you an accurate assessment...  yes it is a good price...
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 1:04:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Someone a little grumpy this morning?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, "no markings" is a bit suspicion since the OP stated the seller "built" this S.A. M1 with parts that are "correct" for the WW2 receiver date  -  June, 1944.

You'd think that in the process of scrounging all the other parts together, the seller would have gotten a USGI barrel that was stamped and dated correctly for the receiver.

Still, for what he OP paid, it's not a bad rifle at all.  He really needs to get out to the range and vet it for reliable function; otherwise, it's just a wall-hanger and historical specimen that you can't play with.
Someone a little grumpy this morning?
Not at all.  Congrats on your M1. Just trying to give you an honest opinion on the matter.

I own quite a few Garands. They range from pure collector/investment non-shooter specimens to several JG Match shooters to a fully prepped & bedded, across-the-course Nat'l Match M1, to two Mini-Gs and a Tanker.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 1:48:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 1:33:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:01:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Well I'm not sure how I missed it the first time but it does have a Marlin Barrel. On top of the barrel it is stamped but it's very hard to see. Looks like a bomb, a serial number then a split marlin.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/136887/20170327-113230-175240.jpg
View Quote
Neat a 1st contract WW2 Marlin barrel.

originally it was blued hence the term "Blue Marlin" yours has been reparked..
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:27:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:49:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

When did marlin start producing them? Was it for all manufactures or a certain one? Decent barrels?
View Quote
Sometime in '43 IIRC..they were made as spare parts.

Internet says they are "junk" rejects etc...  however mine shoots just like every other USGI barrel...  ~4MOA or less with M2 ball @100yds...  that is my measuring stick....
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 6:13:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 6:44:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Nice find on the Marlin barrel. Now you know what you've got.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 8:09:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 8:21:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I love learning about these guns. From what I found on google the marlin barrels were rejected due to pour performance but were still stored. Post war the gov went through them and found them to not be as bad as they thought. Is that correct?
View Quote
Some will say 'yes,' others 'no.'  

By today's collectors anyway, Marlin M1 barrels are regarded the same as if Walmart produced them, i.e., hit or miss cheapos. But shoot your rifle for a while, run it hard, and if it turns out to be a solid, consistent shooter, then smile because you got yourself a good one.

Remember: "only accurate rifles are interesting." That applies as much to Garands as to any other type of rifle.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 8:41:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top