Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/18/2017 10:56:44 PM EDT
Took mine out today with fifty rounds of Remington UMC 110 gr. FMJ.

I had five or six rounds that jammed.  Three were classic stove pipes with the two or three not ejecting clear andvthe case mouth slammed into the receiver above the chamber.  

I've tried Armscorp fmj in the past and reliably was no better.  

I'm put new ejector, extractor and main spring last summer.  I think they were Wolff but don't remember.  

The mags are some of the niw 15 round Korean mags.  

So is this as good as it gets with Carbines or what?  

Update:  it's enough to piss off the pope!

The springs I ordered from Fulton came in today.  Good fast service with Fulton, as expected.  

Now where in the holy f*** did I put the bolt tool?!  I've been looking for an hour and can't find it.

This damned thing is being contrary to the bitter end.  

3/26

Not even the crying emoji eill work for me. FML!!!!
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 11:10:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine runs flawless with everything I feed it
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 11:11:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I had Two Enforcer pistols, and one Inland G.I. carbine.
They all ran reliability.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 11:14:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I have three that run flawlessly.  A GM, an Inland and a Ford.  I've had them for about 30 years.  Back in the '80's when ammo was cheap I tried a BMF activator on all three; no jams, all burned through 20-round mags like machine guns.

So in answer to your question, it should run with no issues.  Mine don't care for hollow points, but eat FMJs, old lead nose stuff, and reloads with no problems.  This problem would probably be better addressed at M1 Carbine Forum   I've had a few questions answered there and the members are pretty prompt (though not nearly as fast as here).  My two cents...
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 11:17:07 PM EDT
[#4]
You guys are no help.

I think I've even shot Prvi but about a 10% fail rate is about what I get out of this gun.  

It's a mixmaster Winchester.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 11:20:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks 10999.  Guess I'll poke around over there.  

I've tried soft point ammo and the exposed lead nose will dig into top of the chamber every so often.  In addition to the previously mentioned malfunctions.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 11:24:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Make sure your op slide spring is 10-1/4.  When I first got my carbines I ordered new op slide springs from fulton.  I assumed they were good and never checked the length.  And I could never get mine to run good.  Same stuff.  Stovepipes and such.

Well after years of not shooting them I decided to measure them.  Low and behold they were too short.  I bought new ones from I think orion 7 and I havent gotten a jam yet out of about 150 rounds.  Well two different guns.  But they both run.  I do use usgi 15 rounders.  But I never replaced the springs on them and so far so good.  My son really likes the carbines.  

Although my standard products bonks you in the head with brass pretty regularly and he wasnt excited about that.  But the inland doesnt,  so we'll stick with that one for now.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 11:45:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks JJREA.

I poked around on the other site and saw the 10.25" length mentioned.  I just measured mine at 10.5" even.

I think I'll order new springs from Fulton and go from there.  

Sometimes an empty will shoot straight out at 3:00 for eight feet, most at 1:00-2:00 about five feet out with a few dribbling out the right side at your feet.  Once in a while one will dribble out the left side.  Sounds like erratic ejection to me.  

So I'll look for some nos USGI springs and try it again.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 12:02:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:  I have three that run flawlessly.  A GM, an Inland and a Ford.  I've had them for about 30 years.  Back in the '80's when ammo was cheap I tried a BMF activator on all three; no jams, all burned through 20-round mags like machine guns.

So in answer to your question, it should run with no issues.  Mine don't care for hollow points, but eat FMJs, old lead nose stuff, and reloads with no problems.  This problem would probably be better addressed at M1 Carbine Forum   I've had a few questions answered there and the members are pretty prompt (though not nearly as fast as here).  My two cents...
View Quote
Where did you find 20 round Carbine mags?  OP, have you tried a 15 round GI mag?
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 12:22:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Where did you find 20 round Carbine mags?  OP, have you tried a 15 round GI mag?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  I have three that run flawlessly.  A GM, an Inland and a Ford.  I've had them for about 30 years.  Back in the '80's when ammo was cheap I tried a BMF activator on all three; no jams, all burned through 20-round mags like machine guns.

Grrrrr, argh...typo.  30 rounds mags.  My granddad bought lots of surplus stuff when they came back after Korea.  He had a couple dozen of them stored in that old green clear plastic they were stored in, buried in cosmoline, and hundreds (yep, hundreds) of 30rd mags.  When I was old enough he gave one to me and I bought the others from him for $100/ea a couple years later.  Had I known I'd love them even more 20+ years later, I'd have bought them all  Remarkably, he only had one Garand.  As PBY pilot, he carried the M1 carbine for the duration of the war and just had an affinity for it over others.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 12:56:50 AM EDT
[#10]
So I'm taking it most .30 Carbine ammo is good?  Since LC is damned near a buck a round, who thought that would ever dry up, I haven't shot any of it.  

I see Tula has been getting good reviews but I've been avoiding it because I'm saving the empty brass for future reloading.

Quoted:

View Quote
Yes.  I have three or four Winchester mags as well.  I'll be looking for USGI mags springs too as I don't know the history on these mags.  

I noticed Fulton does a detailed inspection for $80 plus return shipping.  I'm thinking if new springs don't solve my issues I'll probably send it off for that.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 2:16:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I didn't mean you should buy springs if they are 10.5" and have to be 10.25" exactly.  10.5" should be good to go.  You just don't want them getting too much shorter than 10.25".  That means they are worn or just the wrong spec.  

It might be more of a function of mags with you.  I don't know much about Korean mags......  I would just stick with the USGI at first.  

I just shoot Remington UMC or Winchester White box.  Or really anything.   I have not shot anything other than FMJ so far.  I want to try some self defense rounds.  

Erratic ejection is from what I understand, kind of normal with Carbines.   Although if your extractor is worn, it will cause stovepipes too.  You said you replaced springs but not your extractor, correct?  I did replace my extractors when I first got mine.  I think I got mine from www.billricca.com.  He sells USGI stuff.  

So yeah, I'd be looking at the extractors, mags and make sure you have it greased in the critical spots.  Bolt lug recesses, where the op slide rides on the barrel.  Maybe the hammer a little bit.   Only other thing I can think of is if your op slide is rubbing on the stock a bit.  If you got a new stock or something.

http://www.billricca.com/carbine.htm

If you do get an extractor from him, you might think about just replacing the ejector and ejector spring and extractor spring right away.  Just do a fresh rebuild....   Just a thought.  They're not terribly expensive.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 2:30:25 PM EDT
[#12]
iirc i resprung the entire thing when I first noticed problems last summer or the one before I think.  I'm pretty sure I used Wolff extra powers Springs and one of them was so strong/long/stiff I couldn't install it.  I just don't remember which one it was.  

As to the GI mags I'm sure their springs have softened over the years.  The mags are used and not niw.  

So, two each new main springs, ejector and springs and extractor springs and nub from Fulton.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 2:51:28 PM EDT
[#13]
My old Saginaw is great with the GI 15 rounders and shooting anything from Wolf steel case to winchester and Augila. On the M2 30 round mags it always ejects the last unfired round for some reason
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 11:12:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
iirc i resprung the entire thing when I first noticed problems last summer or the one before I think.  I'm pretty sure I used Wolff extra powers Springs and one of them was so strong/long/stiff I couldn't install it.  I just don't remember which one it was.  

As to the GI mags I'm sure their springs have softened over the years.  The mags are used and not niw.  

So, two each new main springs, ejector and springs and extractor springs and nub from Fulton.
View Quote
I'm skeptical of Fulton.  They are the ones that gave me not spec springs.  But to each his own.  I would try to use USGI  spec springs on a carbine.  The extra power of wolff springs could actually be doing something adverse.  Who knows.  I just think it's good to get USGI stuff for these guns, if you can.  

The mags that seem to be working in my guns are old too.  I'm not sure their springs are all that great.  But so far so good.  I'm keeping an eye on mine.  I don't use it for anything serious.  My son has been shooting it.  It may become his home defense gun after it proves itself.   And one I could use in a pinch too.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 11:34:01 PM EDT
[#15]
One over looked, but critical component of M1 carbines that sometime cause WTF malf's, especially when everything else is new, or in good working order is the magazine catch spring. If a seated mag has much fore to aft movement once locked in, change that out. It can and will cause head scratching stoppages.

And another is the magazine spring inside the mage body. Make sure it's not in backwards. I have seen brand new ones out of USGI wrappers in backwards. You want the "high" end against the rear of the mag body/follower.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 2:29:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
One over looked, but critical component of M1 carbines that sometime cause WTF malf's, especially when everything else is new, or in good working order is the magazine catch spring. If a seated mag has much fore to aft movement once locked in, change that out. It can and will cause head scratching stoppages.

And another is the magazine spring inside the mage body. Make sure it's not in backwards. I have seen brand new ones out of USGI wrappers in backwards. You want the "high" end against the rear of the mag body/follower.
View Quote
Thanks brad.  And welcome aboard.  

It got a new mag catch spring when I went through it but I'll check the mag springs.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 7:16:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Always check the gas piston to make sure the nut it tight and the piston moves freely.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 8:28:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Always check the gas piston to make sure the nut it tight and the piston moves freely.
View Quote
I have to admit I haven't checked how tight the nut is but the piston does move freely.  Can't help myself from playing with it a bit every time it comes out of the stock.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 11:15:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'm skeptical of Fulton.  They are the ones that gave me not spec springs.  But to each his own.  I would try to use USGI  spec springs on a carbine.  The extra power of wolff springs could actually be doing something adverse.  Who knows.  I just think it's good to get USGI stuff for these guns, if you can.  

The mags that seem to be working in my guns are old too.  I'm not sure their springs are all that great.  But so far so good.  I'm keeping an eye on mine.  I don't use it for anything serious.  My son has been shooting it.  It may become his home defense gun after it proves itself.   And one I could use in a pinch too.
View Quote
This right here. While a bit of extra power in the magazine springs might not be a bad idea, extra power action springs in USGI gas guns frequently leads to malfunctions. They work best with USGI spec springs. Wolff springs are definitely high quality, but they still need to be the correct rate to work properly.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 7:34:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Update in op.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:49:44 PM EDT
[#21]
That sucks.

If you decide to sell it for parts...

Seriously though, that sucks.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:32:37 PM EDT
[#22]
A Winchester with a Winchester barrel no less.  

Lookingvaroumd i saw Fulton has aftermarket receivers.  Maybe next year's gun budget will ve getting this thing rebuilt.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 3:22:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Unless I missed it here, one more thing to look at for your feeding issue is the mag springs.  They're often put in backwards and will cause the exact malfunction you're talking about.  You can get a quick idea by looking at a loaded mag from the side.  See if the rounds are sitting exactly level.  If not and the bullet nose is slightly raised, the springs are backwards.  To be sure, pull the spring and see if the higher part is at the back of the mag.  If not, switch it around and your feeding issue will be solved.  
I've found at least 50% of the mags I've bought have this issue.

Edit-- sorry, I missed your update but always check mag springs anyway.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 5:06:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
A Winchester with a Winchester barrel no less.  

Lookingvaroumd i saw Fulton has aftermarket receivers.  Maybe next year's gun budget will ve getting this thing rebuilt.
View Quote
Plenty of orphaned USGI receivers floating around. I still have an Inland barreled receiver and two Plainfield stripped receivers that I need to build. I'll take the USGI or even the Plainfields over the new build receivers any day.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 5:21:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Looks like someone tried to repair it too.  

Sometimes you can find barreled receivers for sale for not horribly much.  Then you could transfer the rest of the parts over pretty easily.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 5:39:28 PM EDT
[#26]
I might have to keep my eyes open for a barreled receiver but I'm rather reluctant to get  a stripped receiver.   Just my luck it would be another broke dick one.

At least the new Fulton and James River receivers will have a warranty and quality assembly.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 11:05:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I might have to keep my eyes open for a barreled receiver but I'm rather reluctant to get  a stripped receiver.   Just my luck it would be another broke dick one.

At least the new Fulton and James River receivers will have a warranty and quality assembly.
View Quote
Questionable

If the stripped USGI receiver isn't obviously cracked or rewelded, you're fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top