Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2017 5:28:03 PM EDT
What books on the M1 Garand and M1 Carbine would you buy? I need to educate myself more. But, get them all is not really an option. I'm not really interested in the history, but more on what book would teach me what is correct for a given manufacturer and date.
 Complete Guide to the M1 Garand and the M1 Carbine by Bruce Canfield
 A Collector's Guide to the M1 Garand and the M1 Carbine by Bruce Canfield
 The M1 Garand: Post World War II by Scott Duff
 The M1 carbine owner's guide by Larry L Ruth
  The M1 Garand Owner's Guide by Scott Duff  

I currently own a HRA Garand and will be looking to get a carbine in the near future. My interests lie towards HRA & IHC Garands and NPM & Quality Hardware carbines. Thanks
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 6:12:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
What books on the M1 Garand and M1 Carbine would you buy? I need to educate myself more. But, get them all is not really an option. I'm not really interested in the history, but more on what book would teach me what is correct for a given manufacturer and date.
 Complete Guide to the M1 Garand and the M1 Carbine by Bruce Canfield
 A Collector's Guide to the M1 Garand and the M1 Carbine by Bruce Canfield
 The M1 Garand: Post World War II by Scott Duff
 The M1 carbine owner's guide by Larry L Ruth
  The M1 Garand Owner's Guide by Scott Duff  

I currently own a HRA Garand and will be looking to get a carbine in the near future. My interests lie towards HRA & IHC Garands and NPM & Quality Hardware carbines. Thanks
View Quote

Well if you are only buying one for the garand and one for the carbine, that is not going to give you a complete picture.  Everyone is always learning and some facts in bookds have been proven to be false over time.  That being said IF your interest lies in Post war garands then buy Scott Duff's Post war garands.  As for the carbines there was a lot of contractors and subcontractors so that is a little bit convoluted as to who used what. That is why the War Baby series is a great reference. But as a starter go with M1 carbine owners guide by Ruth.  Other people will have different ideas but as a start that is the direction I would go.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 9:33:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply. I will definitely pick up Duff's post war garand book. Garands seem easier to understand, who made what for who and when. Drawing numbers and such. But, for some reason carbine build dates, manufacturers, contractors, & sub-contractors confuse the crap out of me. It's like I need a giant string chart to figure out one carbine. So I will start with the carbine book by Larry Ruth.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top