Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2017 8:19:27 PM EDT
I saw this beauty on a local forum yesterday and met with the gentleman to look at it. He was asking $900 but after looking it over I decided to think it over last night and do a little research while I was thinking. We texted back and forth a few times and decided on a trade plus cash. I traded an Italian Beretta 92FS and $200 cash for the M1, 3-GI 15rd mags and ammo.

The carbine is a Quality Hardware with a Buffalo Arms 1943 barrel. From what I read, they made 6% of the carbines that were manufactured. The rear sight is a little loose, but the gun shot amazingly well at 25yds, was more that adequate at 50yds and easily hit man sized targets at 100yds. I fired close to 100rds with zero issues other than 2 rds not feeding correctly. When I got home, the mag that had the issue was all gummed up inside.

When I returned from the range, I took the gun apart and cleaned it. I also put a few coats of linseed oil on it. That made a huge difference in the look of the wood. I think I got the best part of this deal. Now to the pics.

25yd group

50yd group
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 7:44:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Very nice! I have a Winchester and 2 inlands. They are fun to shoot, not so much to reload for sometimes.

You may be able to shrink those groups by fitting the stock, don't expect too much out of that carbine though. Here is a link to the CMP site showing how to fit a new stock, but you can use it for an existing stock too.

http://thecmp.org/training-tech/armorers-corner/carbine-stock-install/
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 9:08:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Take it apart and note all the markings...the HG is a QHMC...the stock is correct highwood...see if its' marked the same in the slingwell.  Early push button safety etc...looks like it might have only been upgraded with the rear sight and may be a "correct" carbine.

Also take a good pic looking down at the rear sight where it meets the receiver..I'm looking for stake markings...
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 2:30:03 PM EDT
[#3]
You did very well. It will only go up in value.  I like that the Quality Hardware had a spring tube.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 9:14:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice. Everyone needs (at least) one.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 9:15:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Very nice. An M1 Carbine is at the top of my list right now. I desperately want one.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 1:14:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd make that trade in a heartbeat...
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 2:22:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice. Everyone needs (at least) one.
View Quote
Seriously. I really regret not buying one (or five or six) when the prices were reasonable. My 13 year-old son tells me all the time that I need to get one.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 2:37:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, I'd say you got the better end.  And DUDE, that MIGHT be an unmolested WWII gun.  You don't see any wear on the barrel where a type III band with the bayo lug would've been.  You have a HIGH WOOD STOCK (that's a really big deal) , a flat bolt and a push button safety.  Those are all indicators of an early build.  Unless the other owner added those parts to get it back to that configuration.  But IF it was an arsenal rebuild, it would've had a bayo lug and the barrel almost always has some wear on it where the bayo lug was.  

Some carbines were shipped during WWII with an adjustable rear.  A rear flip sight is more indicative of a WWII gun, but like I said there were some towards the end that had adjustables.  If it really is a genuine WWII built gun, that didn't see an arsenal rebuild, you can pretty much double the value of what you have into it.  

Plus, looks like it shoots really well and is reliable.  You gotta love em.  My son has really taken to the M-1 Carbine also.  

Link Posted: 3/18/2017 3:04:42 PM EDT
[#9]
That is a really nice score.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:16:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Here is another link that can be helpful to the M1 Carbine owner.

CMP M1 Carbine Notes
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top