Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/9/2017 10:24:15 PM EDT
As the title says, have you come back to the M1A?  

I bought a "Loaded" M1A back in the late 90's and had it until 2009 when stupidly I traded off for a Remington R-25.  At the time I thought I made a good move.  But thats a whole different story.  I still have all the support gear like the pliers, gas sytem tools, combo tools etc.  I also have a bunch of mags, including some carried by a Marine in Vietnam with the pouches too.  

Now to ask further, if I jump back to this weapon I'm looking to get a basic model.  What do I need to look for with this weapon?  Is Springfield putting out a good product these days?  I also can't imagine they're using many USGI parts either.

If you could please weigh in on this and share some insight here.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 10:29:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I like the M1a platform.  I would look for an older M1a "preban" so you will have mostly GI parts if not all GI parts.   It seems like the late 80's were a good time frame for the m1a.  Prices have started going up on those guns.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 11:38:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Never left.  My first rifle.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 11:43:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got a standard one. It's a fun gun to shoot when I get the chance.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 2:02:00 PM EDT
[#4]
My Loaded model M1A from Springfield seems to be good quality. I haven't had any issues with it. I don't think they're using any GI parts at the point.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 2:20:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Yep.
Sold my Loaded a few years back for a nice profit.
Went the .308 AR route for a few years, now back to the M1A
I went with the Standard in walnut stock.
Same as you, I kept all my mags and tools, as I knew I'd be back.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 3:02:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Never left.

I shot rifleman at my first Appleseed with it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 9:15:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Bought a "Loaded" model a few years ago. No issues at all. No GI parts at all. Installed it a McMillan stock.  I still recommend Springfield to my friends. LRB, Fulton, Smith Ent, are all a thousand dollars more than Springfield.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 10:33:57 PM EDT
[#8]
My non GI springfield has been 100% reliable with everything I have fed it, from old dirty ammo, to new precision stuff. With and without a silencer on it.

Just buy one and enjoy it. GI doesn't mean BEST... Just means it fits a standard that they wanted.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 10:40:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 11:50:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Never left.  My first rifle.
View Quote

Still have the one I bought in 1978.  I don't shoot it much these days, but I still have it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 9:39:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the replies guys, I think I'm going to thin the herd some and start looking again.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 7:52:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Back when FNFAL kits were plentiful and cheap surplus 7.62 was rolling around in the streets, I sold an M1A that had mostly USGI parts including a TRW barrel. The price for the M1A bought 3 FNFAL kits and receivers. I built them all and never once regretted the move. I liked that M1A, but at the time anti gun sentiment was clearly going against us and I wanted "more." 
 Two of the 3 FNs are exceptional shooters and I would put them up against any standard M1A for accuracy and reliability. The third FN is being converted to a Para and is a pretty typical 3MOA shooter. 
 I want to add another M1A to the rack just because I want one and have always loved the rifle. It isn't a burning priority and unless I get an exceptional deal, that space in the rack will go unfilled. After all, I have 4 FNs and a Garand, so it isn't like I am gun poor.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 8:04:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 8:28:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Never had one to get away from, so no. I much prefer the Garand over the M1A.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 10:03:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

No I have a few of them, they just sit in the safe. I was big on them until I got a AR10.

With the AR308s around they really are nothing more than nostalgia. If thats what your looking for, then get one, If you actually want to shoot with it other than slung up/ prone-stay away.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 4:04:17 PM EDT
[#16]
I had a custom National Match M1A back in the late 90's because my shooting revolved around Highpower those days.   I recently picked up a full size standard model and threw it in a USGI fiberglass stock and think it's great.
I also have 2 FAL's and a G3.   The M1A complements them nicely and picking a favorite would be hard.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 1:14:42 AM EDT
[#17]
I was originally pretty much into ARs. I then got the M1A bug because I wanted more power and range. I went down the M1A road pretty far. However, I recently reevaluated and went back to ARs being my primary. Still have the M1As, they are fun to shoot. Heck, they even feel great to shoot. However, at the end of the day, an AR does what needs to be done for me, better and easier than the M1A. YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 11:58:27 AM EDT
[#18]
I've been without for more years than I've owned them but I always go back.  Have had my current one for a couple of years - no plans to sell.  I know there is a large Chinese M14 crowd on this board, but I'm not one of them.  When I want an AK, I look for Chinese.  When I want an M14 semi-auto version I look for American.  For me it's always a pre-ban Springfield Armory M1A with all USGI parts other than the receiver.  I've owned many of these and never had an issue.   Buy one of those and you will always be happy.  Earl
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 8:12:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Go back?  Yes, I guess you could say that.  I had an M14 in Basic and Germany before rotating to RVN and an M16.  When I was discharged, I went without the type until 2011 when I finally talked myself into deserving a new Springfield M1A.  I still love the platform as much now as I did when I shot my first large caliber semi-auto in Basic Training in 1967.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 8:36:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Never left... Bought my Super match in 1994 and still have it.. Going to use it again this summer to shoot service rifle.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 3:53:35 PM EDT
[#21]
My Scout Squad has been GTG since day one! No reason to let go of it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 4:09:54 PM EDT
[#22]
"THE M14 OWNER'S GUIDE" BY Scott Duff and John Miller is full of good info on the M1a. A section of the book covers the inspection and selection of pre-owned rifles. The folks at Springfield may be able to provide you  a list of serial #'s by date of manufacture.  
Another great reference is Kuhnhausen"s manual on the .30 cal. service rifle.            Hope this helps   TG
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 7:06:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

No I have a few of them, they just sit in the safe. I was big on them until I got a AR10.

With the AR308s around they really are nothing more than nostalgia. If thats what your looking for, then get one, If you actually want to shoot with it other than slung up/ prone-stay away.
View Quote
I second this
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 7:36:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.

I've got a mid-'80s Glen Nelson-built Super Match and a 1990 standard M1A with all USGI parts. I've thoroughly enjoyed both for decades, but the AR10 platform, or ".30-cal AR" platform as it's sometimes called, has them both beat hands down.  From accuracy to ergonomics to ease of optic set-ups and upgrades, like triggers, the 7.62/.308 ARs will best the M1As all day, every day.

That said, you should own an M1A if you want to ...

... By the way, save yourself some headaches and get it set up with USGI parts.  Folks who claim their NON-USGI M1A runs fine have likely returned it under warranty two or five times just to get it running because the out-of-spec, for-shit commercial parts didn't hold up under hard use.

As gun-savvy dudenals use to say back in the '80s: "Ask the man who owns one."
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:08:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
 Folks who claim their NON-USGI M1A runs fine have likely returned it under warranty two or five times just to get it running because the out-of-spec, for-shit commercial parts didn't hold up under hard use.
View Quote
My M1a Scout with AAC suppressor has seen about 8K in ammo since 2013. Runs like a champ. Never had to replace anything on it. It's still in it's original form, all original parts EXCEPT the flash hider / castle nut has been replaced, and it's also had a gas nut front sight installed to keep the irons on it.

USGI is also the lowest bidder in many cases. Doesn't mean the best. Forged parts are always stronger, but there are some parts that don't need to be and will work fine. Mine has been decently taken care of. I use them and get them smokey hot. They still get cleaned and lubed (more than one, and not one of the 3 I own is a usgi parts gun). Sooo... as always YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 8:02:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My M1a Scout with AAC suppressor has seen about 8K in ammo since 2013. Runs like a champ. Never had to replace anything on it. It's still in it's original form, all original parts EXCEPT the flash hider / castle nut has been replaced, and it's also had a gas nut front sight installed to keep the irons on it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
 Folks who claim their NON-USGI M1A runs fine have likely returned it under warranty two or five times just to get it running because the out-of-spec, for-shit commercial parts didn't hold up under hard use.
Okay, now you've got me REALLY curious .... What specific AAC can are you running?, and on what mount set-up?

Also, who did the work on the barrel? ADCO?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 6:56:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Still have mine, 81 vintage.  All GI except the receiver.  I have this rifle, plus 2 FALs, and a G3 clone built from a parts kit and PTR receiver.  I like it the most out of the 4.  I have no real interest in the 308 AR, so the M1A will be my go-to 308 for now.

Jason
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 5:15:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Hmmm, I may not run mine hard, but 2,400 rounds a year for the last few years is a pretty steady run without any issue. The extractors admittedly have issues and probably could be exchanged "if" the SAI one breaks. I do have a Garand extractor as a back-up if this one pops. The only GI item is the selector "kit" I cut up and installed on the stock. Oh, and the magazines too.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 6:57:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Hmmm, I may not run mine hard, but 2,400 rounds a year for the last few years is a pretty steady run without any issue. The extractors admittedly have issues and probably could be exchanged "if" the SAI one breaks. I do have a Garand extractor as a back-up if this one pops. The only GI item is the selector "kit" I cut up and installed on the stock. Oh, and the magazines too.
http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff403/smoothy8500/firearms/Match%20photos/2016%20600yd2_zpsws2l6y0b.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff403/smoothy8500/firearms/Match%20photos/2016%20600yd2_zpsws2l6y0b.jpg
Very nice set up, thanks!
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 4:40:36 AM EDT
[#30]
HA- I've never left it and no plans to do so. I want to add to it if anything with a short Socom in a Vltor stock or the new CQB version
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:43:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Okay, now you've got me REALLY curious .... What specific AAC can are you running?, and on what mount set-up?

Thanks.
View Quote
AAC 7.62SD 18T (older style)

No barrel work was done. It came as a 18" barrel and I put the AAC suppressor mount on the barrel after removal of the OEM barrel nut and comp that comes on the M1A scout.

Runs like a champ with 50 rd drums. 25 rd mags and 20 rd mags. Isn't ammo picky at all either. It runs what I stuff into it, as long as it's stamped 7.62x51 or 308 WIN
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 8:17:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

No barrel work was done. It came as a 18" barrel and I put the AAC suppressor mount on the barrel after removal of the OEM barrel nut and comp that comes on the M1A scout. * * *
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

No barrel work was done. It came as a 18" barrel and I put the AAC suppressor mount on the barrel after removal of the OEM barrel nut and comp that comes on the M1A scout. * * *
I have AAC's SDN-6 and a couple of spare 7.62 51-t mounts. That's why I asked. Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 6:02:48 PM EDT
[#33]
I got my M1A the day after Christmas '97. Never sold it and I shoot it every so often
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 6:54:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I have AAC's SDN-6 and a couple of spare 7.62 51-t mounts. That's why I asked. Thanks.
View Quote
Gotcha. I have a spare 51T (5/8 x 24) mount laying around as well. It came on a REM 700 AAC model that I was unable to use. I do like the 51T setup better than the 18T. The ratcheting mount is much more solid. I'd love to see AAC to a retrofit service to make the 18T can's upgraded to 51T specs.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 7:03:10 PM EDT
[#35]
I like my Norinco.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 11:23:47 AM EDT
[#36]
I don't understand the issue with the weight of the M1A to most young folks.  Millions lugged the M1 all around the world in WWII and Korea and found it perfectly acceptable; even comforting.  Millions of us trained with the M14 and lugged it miles and miles in training.  The weight never bothered us either; it was a Battle Rifle, not a toy.  I was 5'9" and 145lbs in the Army and could lug my M14 some 18 miles on a march in one day without complaining because the 50lb pack and all the other stuff we had was what bothered me, not the rifle.

Then the M16 comes out and everyone suddenly thinks they are too weak to lug a true Battle Rifle into battle.  They want the puny, plastic, toy because it's light for their weak arms and legs.  I had that same M16A1 in RVN in '68/'69 and it was a joke after my M14 in training and Germany.  Thankfully, my main weapon was my M2 50 at my Tank Commander position on my tank and I only had to use the 'plastic fantastic' when going to Saigon on pass or during a ground assault heading to my tank.  When the shit hit the fan in the 25th at Cu Chi, no one was thankful for that tiny, plastic toy.  They wanted real firepower so as a group they would 'spray and prey' with their heads down until the real firepower arrived.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 8:22:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I don't understand the issue with the weight of the M1A to most young folks.  Millions lugged the M1 all around the world in WWII and Korea and found it perfectly acceptable; even comforting.  Millions of us trained with the M14 and lugged it miles and miles in training.  The weight never bothered us either; it was a Battle Rifle, not a toy.  I was 5'9" and 145lbs in the Army and could lug my M14 some 18 miles on a march in one day without complaining because the 50lb pack and all the other stuff we had was what bothered me, not the rifle.

Then the M16 comes out and everyone suddenly thinks they are too weak to lug a true Battle Rifle into battle.  They want the puny, plastic, toy because it's light for their weak arms and legs.  I had that same M16A1 in RVN in '68/'69 and it was a joke after my M14 in training and Germany.  Thankfully, my main weapon was my M2 50 at my Tank Commander position on my tank and I only had to use the 'plastic fantastic' when going to Saigon on pass or during a ground assault heading to my tank.  When the shit hit the fan in the 25th at Cu Chi, no one was thankful for that tiny, plastic toy.  They wanted real firepower so as a group they would 'spray and prey' with their heads down until the real firepower arrived.
View Quote
Did you also lug that rifle while wearing plates? A 50lbs pack would have been nice too. How many rounds did you carry?

Granted I was a SAWgunner but no one ever asked for less rounds or more weight in the infantry. The M14  incorporates both.

As a private citizen I'd be pretty OK with my M1 but I'm not in Fallujah
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 9:40:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Hmmmmmm, I was seriously thinking of getting rid of my M1A, but this threads has me rethinking that decision!!

Mine was bought on Sept. 10th, 2001 and it went right to the local M1 guy for a bunch of work. NM sights, bedded stock, and probably other stuff I can't remember!! It's a bad ass rifle, and I beat a bunch of guys using high dollar scopes at a silhouette match using open sights. I shot it so much, I wore the finish off the stock in a couple of places. I've also used it in 3-Gun matches a couple of times. Not the ideal 3-gun setup, but it worked!!

To the guy that said it would fall apart, and need to go back to SA 5 or 6 times, I would like to disagree. The action on mine is 100% the way it came from SA. Never been back for warranty work once.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top