Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2017 4:38:52 PM EDT
Just like the title says, has anyone ever built a M14/M1a in 6.5 creedmoor? Ever since i find out about the 6.5 wonder cartridge i have always have been curious about how easily it could be to get to work in one of my favorite guns.

And on days that i am even less sane, i wonder about rebarreling one of those 308 garands.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:21:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy one of these...Savage 10T SR... and don't screw up a perfectly good M1A or Garand.

Both were built to operate with their original cartridges for a good reason, and within a narrow range of operating pressure.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 5:51:13 PM EDT
[#2]
There are several members on the M14forum who have built 6.5 creedmoor M14/M1As. They are very happy with them.

I have been looking at Krieger 6.5 M14 barrels for a spare JRA/Rock-Ola M14 receiver that I own.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 9:42:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Buy one of these...Savage 10T SR... and don't screw up a perfectly good M1A or Garand.

Both were built to operate with their original cartridges for a good reason, and within a narrow range of operating pressure.
View Quote

My money my guns. It is not like it is going to happen any time soon, but i am not alone in this apparently.

look at the coming soon pictures
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 12:33:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

My money my guns. It is not like it is going to happen any time soon, but i am not alone in this apparently.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're right, it is your money. And there's only one pic (end of a barrel) that says 6.5 Creedmoor and it looks like a specialty front-end. The others are the rifles FA sells.  If FA can pull one off that's great, and like you said it's your money.

I just searched the M14Forums and found a lot of wishful thinking on a M1A Creedmoor but not one thread (over 10 pages of results) showing a functional conversion. But there were several talking about the complications that would be expected like pressure/gas-system, correct port size, magazine/feeding and extraction/ejection issues that might come up. And that's not counting potential op rod issues, especially with a M1.  But maybe it's not a big deal.

Magazines shouldn't be an issue due to the similar size with a 7.62x51.

I've been shooting M1As (have 4) and M1s (have 10) recreationally/competitively for close to 40 years and have built almost all my Garands. I know those platforms are set up for the cartridges they were designed for. And I've been shooting the 6.5 Creedmoor for 8 years out of bolt guns. I stick with traditional approaches to legacy firearms vs. experimenting with them.

There was some chatter of Jon Wolfe doing something on the M14Forums, but the only thing he has on his website are two 6.5 Creedmoor barrels but no complete rifles or conversion services.

We'll have to see what FA finally comes up with, and if it's something that's set up for the cartridge and it works that's fine, and then you can spend your money on it.  Other than that I'm sure you could find someone to try to put a 6.5 Creed barrel on an M1a or M1 for you.

It's a lot easier to fiddle around with experiments in bolt guns than a legacy firearm. But if FA comes up with something then go for it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:05:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You're right, it is your money. And there's only one pic (end of a barrel) that says 6.5 Creedmoor and it looks like a specialty front-end. The others are the rifles FA sells.  If FA can pull one off that's great, and like you said it's your money.

I just searched the M14Forums and found a lot of wishful thinking on a M1A Creedmoor but not one thread (over 10 pages of results) showing a functional conversion. But there were several talking about the complications that would be expected like pressure/gas-system, correct port size, magazine/feeding and extraction/ejection issues that might come up. And that's not counting potential op rod issues, especially with a M1.  But maybe it's not a big deal.

I've been shooting M1As (have 4) and M1s (have 10) recreationally/competitively for close to 40 years and have built almost all my Garands. I know those platforms are set up for the cartridges they were designed for. And I've been shooting the 6.5 Creedmoor for 8 years out of bolt guns. I stick with traditional approaches to legacy firearms vs. experimenting with them.

There was some chatter of Jon Wolfe doing something on the M14Forums, but the only thing he has on his website are two 6.5 Creedmoor barrels but no complete rifles or conversion services.

We'll have to see what FA finally comes up with, and if it's something that's set up for the cartridge and it works that's fine, and then you can spend your money on it.  Other than that I'm sure you could find someone to try to put a 6.5 Creed barrel on an M1a or M1 for you.

It's a lot easier to fiddle around with experiments in bolt guns than a legacy firearm. But if FA comes up with something then go for it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

These people sell the barrels to do it.
It should be to hard considering that they make them in .243 winchester and the M1 garand had been chambered in .35 Whelen.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top