Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2017 12:27:34 PM EDT
I want to get an M1 and need some advice on what to look for. Really would like something in the WW2 range if still possible. Is the CMP the best place to get one? Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 1:08:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I want to get an M1 and need some advice on what to look for. Really would like something in the WW2 range if still possible. Is the CMP the best place to get one? Thanks.
View Quote

It really depends on waht you want.  The CMP has very limited stock at this point and there is no guarantee that it will be a WWII receiver.  They will have the best prices, but may not have what you are looking for.  Currently, you can get a "special" or an M1D.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 1:23:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Dunno if a drive to Anniston would work for you, but you can hand-pick the one you want, with expert assistance. 
http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/cmp-stores/
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 1:46:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dunno if a drive to Anniston would work for you, but you can hand-pick the one you want, with expert assistance. 
http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/cmp-stores/
View Quote

The lack of rifles is still the issue.  Store reports are posted weekly on their forums and the pickings are almost nonexistent.  A FG special might be an option,  but it will have some non GI major parts (barrel/stock).  If a sniper variant is of interest, there will bw a few of those.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 1:50:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The lack of rifles is still the issue.  Store reports are posted weekly on their forums and the pickings are almost nonexistent.  A FG special might be an option,  but it will have some non GI major parts (barrel/stock).  If a sniper variant is of interest, there will bw a few of those.
View Quote

Any reason to go with a non GI barrel over a GI?
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 1:53:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Fair enough. 

FWIW, the CMP forums have noted that limited number of rack grades are getting put out as floor stock again.  I'm curious how MAGA will affect CMP sources/inventory.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 1:54:12 PM EDT
[#6]
A new commercial barrel is likely to shoot better than one made on 50+ year old equipment and using old methods.  But, to some people, all USGI parts is very important.  Same can be said for stocks, though new commercial ones will need some fitting.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 1:57:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Fair enough. 

FWIW, the CMP forums have noted that limited number of rack grades are getting put out as floor stock again.  I'm curious how MAGA will affect CMP sources/inventory.
View Quote

And rack grades are usually extremely rough.  Still very few of those are even making it to the store.  I don't see how the new administration is going to get a flood of rifles into the CMP.  What is left out there on loan is thought to be limited and very rough, but there is always a chance.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 2:05:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

And rack grades are usually extremely rough.  Still very few of those are even making it to the store.  I don't see how the new administration is going to get a flood of rifles into the CMP.  What is left out there on loan is thought to be limited and very rough, but there is always a chance.
View Quote
Orest got very close-mouthed years ago when advance rumors killed some possibilities, if I remember correctly, with contention from commercial interests.  Kind of a "learn the hard way" thing.

I'm keeping the faith.  1911s, Garands, and spare parts and ammo will flow like a mighty ocean across the U.S.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 3:30:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Orest got very close-mouthed years ago when advance rumors killed some possibilities, if I remember correctly, with contention from commercial interests.  Kind of a "learn the hard way" thing.

I'm keeping the faith.  1911s, Garands, and spare parts and ammo will flow like a mighty ocean across the U.S.  
View Quote

I don't see how commercial interests could affect anything as the CMP doesn't buy rifles and import them.  As for a flood of surplus items, I won't hold my breath.  I'd love to see it happen though!  Supposedly 5 RG rifles are being put out each day and the numbers on the barrels are pretty bad.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 3:43:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Googled it:  http://gunhub.com/m1-garand/40423-orest-posts-loss-rifles-because-talk.html

I think the old CMP forum threads were lost when that site changed software.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 4:36:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks. I'm not dead set on a WW2 M1, should I wait for a few months and see what CMP offers or look for something out there and buy from someone selling one?
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 4:40:14 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm not aware of anything that would cause the CMP supply to change in the near future.

I'm a fan of the CMP, but [checks flame suit] in some sense a Garand's a Garand.  If you can find one that you like, and the price seems right, why wait? Maybe your rifle is on the EE right now.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 7:21:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Pick up a CMP Garand on Gunbroker. That way you can get a WWII Garand.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 8:18:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Googled it:  http://gunhub.com/m1-garand/40423-orest-posts-loss-rifles-because-talk.html

I think the old CMP forum threads were lost when that site changed software.
View Quote

I read that, but still do not see any way that commercial businesses could affect the CMP in regards to bringing back MAP rifles.  The Korean Garands will never be a CMP item, even if they do eventually get here.  As to the OP's original question.  If you want a WW2 numbered rifle, buy on the secondary market.  IF you just want a shooter and don't care that it is a recent refinish or has no GI parts, order a FG Special.  If you are in no hurry, wait and see what happens down the road.  Prices are likely to go at the CMP at some point, but nobody knows when.  Other grades could also come back or current available grades could disappear for good.  There are even rumors of Garands disappearing altogether before too much longer, though those that REALLY know aren't talking.  You can pick up a nice service grade CMP rifle on the secondary market for $1000 or less if you watch.  Hell, you may luck out and get a super deal.  I picked up a nearly correct IHC SG on the EE here a few months ago for $730, though I was very lucky to see it within a couple of minutes of the posting.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 8:41:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Key is purpose.  If you're looking for a shooter not having to be all GI parts and perhaps a nice new barrel, there are more options out there.  If you're looking for a WWII vintage rifle with all GI parts, and a shooter with less wear and lower muzzle and throat erosion like the CMP Service Grades from a few years ago, then look to the secondary market and be ready to pay a little.  

If you're more like a collector looking for a more "correct" rifle in good condition, be ready to pay more still.  If you're looking for a GI rifle that's got a lot of wear on it, perhaps as a fixer upper or one with a lot of "character", then you can pay somewhat less.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 12:02:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the advice guys.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 10:58:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Join the Garand Collectors Association and you will find a collector who has the exact rifle that you want.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top