Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/29/2017 1:50:52 PM EDT
Just curious to know if anyone has played around with reduced loads that function reliably in a Socom 16.  I am not talking about a drastic reduction in chamber pressure, something more along the lines of 5000 to 7000 PSI.  

My quest is three-fold:

1.  Use up a metric shit ton of bulk 150 to 165 grain hunting (now plinking) bullets.  There is no resale value for these........unfortunately.
2.  Create a load that has similar ballistic profile to a certain optic's BDC reticle.
3.  Reduction of felt recoil and wear on the operating system.

TIA
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 4:02:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Isn't M80 less hotter than typical .308 anyways???  My guess is if you load some at pressure made for the M1A (hopefully your reloading manual has those) then it might be right around where you want it.  Or do you mean reduced that much from Surplus .308 pressures?
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 4:24:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Isn't M80 less hotter than typical .308 anyways???  My guess is if you load some at pressure made for the M1A (hopefully your reloading manual has those) then it might be right around where you want it.  Or do you mean reduced that much from Surplus .308 pressures?
View Quote

Looking for something around 50000 PSI.

Guess the question should have been, what is the least amount of pressure required to cycle the action reliably.......

Started to fart around with Quickloads and will work my way backwards.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 6:04:15 PM EDT
[#3]
H4895.

Max charge x 0.6.

Go up until function is reliable.

ETA: I'm curious how "The Load" of 13gr Red Dot would behave in the carbine. In an old, slick Garand, the op-rod usually moves back against the hammer, but can't overcome it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 7:05:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
H4895.

Max charge x 0.6.

Go up until function is reliable.

ETA: I'm curious how "The Load" of 13gr Red Dot would behave in the carbine. In an old, slick Garand, the op-rod usually moves back against the hammer, but can't overcome it.
View Quote

I've shot some 2400 and a cast bullet in the M1A and it wouldn't feed/cycle.

I've shot 125 TNTs down as low as 38'ish grs IMR4895 and they cycled reliably with a 22" bbl.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top