Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/11/2017 12:34:07 PM EDT
I,m  looking  at  getting  a  m1  garand  from  the  cmp  the  one  I,m  looking  at  is  the  special field  grade  has  anyone  gotten  one  of  these  lately  how  do  they  look  and  how  bad  is  the  pitting  if  any  thanks
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 1:38:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Can only comment on what I have and it has been about 6 years now. I bought a field grade M1 form CMP and it is superb. If you do not like what you receive from them you can sell it for a profit and apply for another one.

Vince
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 1:44:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can only comment on what I have and it has been about 6 years now. I bought a field grade M1 form CMP and it is superb. If you do not like what you receive from them you can sell it for a profit and apply for another one.

Vince
View Quote

FG rifles of today are completely different than they were 6 years ago.  As far as the FG Special, not many pics out there as they have only existed for a few weeks.  We should be seeing more pics as they start to ship these new offerings.  The only pic I've seen wasn't too bad, but it wasn't a great pic.  I personally won't be buying them.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 1:52:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 6:25:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Vince
View Quote

The Field Grades specials have only recently become available
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 3:11:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I've only ever bought Rack of Field grade M1's from the CMP and I've never once been disappointed.

Heck I picked up an H&R field grade with a beautiful LMR barrel and only missing the gas plug and bolt to make it 100% HRA.  Not bad for $495!  Of course I went to the South store for an M1 Carbine and came out with 2 carbines the HRA Garand and 6 spam cans of ammo, (3 in bandoliers and 3 in boxes).
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 8:51:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I know y'all are talking about the field grade specials, but I'm very happy with my service grade special.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 10:50:48 AM EDT
[#7]
I got 12 FG rifles last year in the summer . The worst was a 4/4 barrel, the best 1/2, and the average was 2/2+ IIRC. Crowns looked ok to me. 

A few had some light pitting below the wood line. One had some light pitting above. All had USGI wood that ranged from almost SG to what you would expect from a FG (I.E not rack grade wood)

I'm happy with them. Some that were released after that point did look rougher, some the same or better. 
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 1:39:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 11:34:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Thats a very nice Field Grade,Congrats.  Not the normal FG
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 8:05:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thats a very nice Field Grade,Congrats.  Not the normal FG
View Quote

Well, now it's just a barreled receiver.

But in related news, I now have a field-gradish Mk. 1 Mod 2
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 8:53:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I,m  looking  at  getting  a  m1  garand  from  the  cmp  the  one  I,m  looking  at  is  the  special field  grade  has  anyone  gotten  one  of  these  lately  how  do  they  look  and  how  bad  is  the  pitting  if  any  thanks
View Quote

I'm also looking to get one. I assume, with the new barrel, that they'll be decent shooters. Right? Will it be capable of 2 moa?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top