Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2016 9:10:41 AM EDT
I have 2 standard Springfield M1A's. I rarely shoot either and really a scout model would be more suited to my needs.

Instead of going the the hassle of selling both and buying a scout, would it be possible to buy a scout barrel from Springfield and just do a barrel swap?

Would there be anything more to the job?    I am capable of doing the barrel swap but don't know if there is any other work involved.

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 10:34:17 AM EDT
[#1]
If you're looking for the easier route, sell a standard and get the scout. Swapping barrels will be the bigger hassle.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 4:12:49 PM EDT
[#2]
OK, so, part of me has me wondering.  You are capable of switching the barrel out, but you don't know if that's all you have to do?  Something doesn't seem right with that.  Do you understand how an M1A / M14 is built?  

Yes, AFAIK, a barrel swap is all you'd need, but it's not the same as an AR.  So I'm told.  I've never built either but it's my understanding you need a lot more know how and tools to do an M1A as compared to an AR.  Getting the headspace correct is bigger issue than with an AR.  

Anyways....  just my thoughts about that.

There was a guy who swapped a barrel out to a USGI barrel to build his BHD Sniper build.  He would probably be the guy to ask.  I forget his name but his build is super nice.  I don't remember if he did it himself or where he sent it, but my recollection was it had a scout barrel but he swapped it to a USGI.  Or something like that.

I think his name is USSF06.  I think his build is in the pic thread.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 6:48:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:42:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I would just buy a Scout. If you insist on the barrel swap, I'd let SA do it, since a barrel swap requires a sturdy vise, proper wrench, headspace guages, a new front sight, the ability to properly time the new barrel, and possibly some bolt lug lapping.
I had them do the opposite swap (scout to standard barrel) some years back. Since I dropped the rifle off, they did it for me over lunchtime. I forget the cost, but I recouped most of it selling the scout barrel.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 5:19:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd contact Springfield Armory and see if they can do the conversion.  They have all the parts, jigs, etc and should guarantee the job.

-- Chuck
View Quote

They can. I called a few years ago and they could do it and at a very reasonable price too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top