Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2016 11:38:23 AM EDT
What's everyone using for Garand and M14/M1A cleaning these days?

In the past I've used GI pattern kits, but haven't been able to locate them since my last move so I'm looking at other options.

Anyone tried the OTIS with these rifles? What's the consensus on how necessary the ratcheting chamber brushes are?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 2:49:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Whatever I have handy.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 8:31:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I just use a bore snake and qtips.  I never felt like I couldn't get the chamber clean with some clp and some qtips.  To me it's a way different thing than the inside of the BCG on an AR. That I bought one of them scraper tools for.  That's just nasty in there.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 8:39:59 PM EDT
[#3]
For cleaning at home I have a one-piece stainless steel Dewey rod with a brass cone-shaped muzzle guide to protect the crown.

The ratcheting chamber brush is good, but remember, the M1 has a longer chamber and requires a M1-specific brush, not the common shorter M14 chamber brush.
Using a chamber brush on the M1 and M14 is necessary if you want to prevent jams and stuck cases, or corroded chambers.  They issued chamber brushes for a damn good reason.
DO NOT wrap a patch around a chamber brush, it ruins them and they won't properly clean the chamber.

Personally I have an M3-A1 Combination Tool.
This is THE M1 rifle maintenance tool that has a chamber brush on one end.
With the tool you can do all maintenance on the M1, including:
Scrubbing the chamber.
Adjust tension on the rear sight of both the old and new rear sights.
Use as a screwdriver.
Disassemble and reassemble the gas cylinder.
Disassemble and reassemble the bolt with the bolt IN the rifle.  (Actually the easiest way).
Disassemble and reassemble the bolt with the bolt OUT of the rifle.  
Extract a stuck case from the chamber.

Buy the Combination Tool and watch gun shows for surplus dealers and buy a couple of extra chamber brushes.  make sure they're new condition not used.

You can still buy the USGI buttstock cleaning kits from places like Fulton.
These are a smart thing to have for emergency use in the field or on the range.
The M10 Combination Tool/cleaning rod handle is also used to reassemble the M1 bolt and do other functions.

The M14 kit has a special combination tool just for it.  These kits have a shorter amber colored oiler and grease tube.
An M1 uses a longer amber colored tube with one end full of oil the other holding the M10 cleaning rod handle wrapped in a patch.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 9:15:11 PM EDT
[#4]
What's a good source for these items nowadays?

Most everything I'm finding online appear to either be Chinese knockoffs or priced as collector's pieces.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top