Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/24/2016 1:51:36 PM EDT
I'm thinking of putting an optic on my Socom 16. Obviously it needs to be somethings long-eye relief if I'm to use the factory rail. Thinking something like a 1.5-4x option. What recommendations do you guys have?
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:45:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I got rid of the factory mount. I installed an SHG from M14.ca. The SHG was a bit pricey but worth it. I then mounted a Trijicon MRO. I really like it. It sits low enough that I don't need to do a jaw weld, but just a modified cheek weld.

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 7:51:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I have the Burris Scout Scope on mine. It works for up close and at distance. A good scope if you need long eye relief.

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 4:39:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I use a Burris Fast Fire on the front rail. Nice and compact and very quick.

If I want to use a scope I remove the Fast Fire and use a Basset mount with a scope.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 3:29:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Bumping this as my Socom 16 is on the way. Does Vortex make a scout scope that anyone has tried? Anything by Trijicon that might work, without swapping rail systems?
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 8:31:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Good gawd man, that looks awfully heavy!  

These rifles are supposed to be quick & nibble.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 9:05:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

The only thing quick and nimble concerning M1A's is the .30 caliber projectile leaving the muzzle.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 11:26:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The only thing quick and nimble concerning M1A's is the .30 caliber projectile leaving the muzzle.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL.   Well said.  

The socom starts to getting to feel somewhat kind of nimble.  It's no M4 though.  I don't have one but I liked the one I shot.  It had a really nice balance and I think the lower muzzle velocity and the brake actually helped tame the recoil a little.  The only downside is the big ole sights.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 10:28:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have the Burris Scout Scope on mine. It works for up close and at distance. A good scope if you need long eye relief.

<a href="http://s989.photobucket.com/user/dwigley1/media/20160117_151912_resized_zpsycsnkud0.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af13/dwigley1/20160117_151912_resized_zpsycsnkud0.jpg</a>
View Quote

What cheek rest is that? Thanks
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 5:13:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s989.photobucket.com/user/dwigley1/media/20160117_151912_resized_zpsycsnkud0.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af13/dwigley1/20160117_151912_resized_zpsycsnkud0.jpg</a>

https://www.amazon.com/Voodoo-Tactical-Buttstock-Cheek-Carrier/dp/B007FTAS8S?th=1&psc=1
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 6:40:54 AM EDT
[#10]
I use an aimpoint on mine. I've cooked it where water poured on it turns to steam, about 4 mags rapid fire. 98 degree day, Florida humidity and the aimpoint never turned off.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 7:56:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Jeez-Louise, ... what the measured weight on that thing with the optic mounted?

I'd rather carry my 7.62/.308 M1 Garand, and a few clips, while running necessary errands.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 4:45:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'd rather carry my 7.62/.308 M1 Garand, and a few clips, while running necessary errands.
View Quote

HAHAHAHAHAHA- If someone is concerned about weight then the M1A might not be the rifle for them. While It could be used as a battle rifle in this condition it is set up for shooting longer distances for fun. My M4 would be my go to rifle for room clearing and such. I'm even thinking about a different optic eventually so I can take the rifle out to 600 yards or more. I would like to do some Urban Guerilla sniper training with it
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 7:18:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's "sign line" material right there!!!
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 4:38:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I use a Burris Fast Fire on the front rail. Nice and compact and very quick.

If I want to use a scope I remove the Fast Fire and use a Basset mount with a scope.
View Quote

I do the same thing. The Fast Fire seems like it was made for the Scout & SOCOM.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 1:27:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

HAHAHAHAHAHA- If someone is concerned about weight then the M1A might not be the rifle for them. While It could be used as a battle rifle in this condition it is set up for shooting longer distances for fun. My M4 would be my go to rifle for room clearing and such. I'm even thinking about a different optic eventually so I can take the rifle out to 600 yards or more. I would like to do some Urban Guerilla sniper training with it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, still probably weighs a lot less than an M24/ M40.  I know, not as accurate, but seriously.  A lot of guns are freaking heavy.  I'm betting the SASS is a lot heavier than the set up being scoffed at.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:43:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Rmr05
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 6:21:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yeah, still probably weighs a lot less than an M24/ M40.  I know, not as accurate, but seriously.  A lot of guns are freaking heavy.  I'm betting the SASS is a lot heavier than the set up being scoffed at.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love the rifle !!!! It's a beast to shoot and performs flawlessly. The rifle is more accurate than I'm capable of and it brings a smile every time I shoot it. I had always wanted one and finally after my kids had grown up a little and finances allowed. I bought one and glad I did.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 12:38:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Amen
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 6:16:28 PM EDT
[#19]
An 18" Tanker  Garand is much lighter to hump while running your everyday errands.

You can thank me later ...

[youtube]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=15yD6dj3b5g[/youtube]
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 6:23:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top