Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2016 12:08:57 PM EDT
Are polytech M14s any good?  I was offered one in a local trade deal and seem to remember reading that they are somewhat nice, but should consider swapping in a USGI bolt.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 1:02:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Good guns. Just shoot it.  I wouldn't get a USGI bolt installed unless the headspace was bad.  I think some of the guys who install the USGI bolts created a fear to up their business, No proof of that, just a hunch.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 2:53:02 PM EDT
[#2]
+1

And bad means closing on a 7.62 NATO no-go gauge, not the more common .308 no-go gauge.

They're excellent rifles with forged receivers.

Link Posted: 9/22/2016 2:57:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I heard the bolts were soft and would eventually loosen up. The advice I was given before I traded mine was headspace it, and if it's good, heat treat it. If not, get USGI bolt
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 4:43:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Loved mine , one of the only guns I miss that I sold.

Link Posted: 9/22/2016 8:01:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Are polytech M14s any good?  I was offered one in a local trade deal and seem to remember reading that they are somewhat nice, but should consider swapping in a USGI bolt.
View Quote

I say and you listen.  Polytech and Norinco M14s both great product of proud workers.

Get rifle; great for having. But replace bolt with capitalist bolt TRW and add Amerikanski flame hidener.

TRW bolt longer. Shortens headspace; bolt no closing now on .308 go nowhere guage.

Link Posted: 9/23/2016 8:53:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Offered in trade?  How much are they valuing it at?
I agree with Fluffy.  In many ways, the Polytechs are a step up from Springfields, a comment which I'm sure will cause distress with some people.  Good forged receivers, good chrome lined barrels, good forged op rods,
I have 3 of them, so here is what I have learned.  Polys have a couple of potential(POTENTIAL) weak spots.  That means, not all of them will have them.  But, if they crop up(IF), they are easily, and cheaply, fixed.
#1.  Sometimes the sight knobs will not hold due to a bad tension spring in side.  The solution is to replace with USGI knobs.  M1 Garand knobs will work, and probably be easier to find. One of my 3 had this problem, so I fixed all 3 just to make sure.  But, that probably wasn't needed.
#2.  Sometimes the trigger sears and hammers are a little soft.  The solution is the same as for #1. If you do this, replace hammer spring at the same time, and replace the trigger pin.  
#3.  Op rod springs tend to be a bit undersized in diameter and length.  Replace with USGI or after market.  Easiest fix of all.
#4.  The bolt.  Issue is over blown.  Many, many,  many users keep the bolt and shoot tons of ammo in their guns without an issue.  I replaced mine, but that was just to give me something to do.  I will disagree with Fluffy on this last part.  Some people don't recommend using TRW bolts, but that is because they are sometimes a little harder to fit into the Polytech receiver.  The other bolts(Winchester, Springfield, and Harrington Richardson) often are a bit easier to fit.
Polytech pluses outweight their minuses by a bunch.  Good reliable guns to have.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 9:29:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Apologizing me for forgetting.  On M14 of China, good to replace rear sights. Use new old stocking fascist sights of Beretta.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 10:38:58 AM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I agree with Fluffy.  In many ways, the Polytechs are a step up from Springfields, a comment which I'm sure will cause distress with some people.  Good forged receivers, good chrome lined barrels, good forged op rods,

I have 3 of them, so here is what I have learned.  Polys have a couple of potential(POTENTIAL) weak spots.  That means, not all of them will have them.  But, if they crop up(IF), they are easily, and cheaply, fixed.

#1.  Sometimes the sight knobs will not hold due to a bad tension spring in side.  The solution is to replace with USGI knobs.  M1 Garand knobs will work, and probably be easier to find. One of my 3 had this problem, so I fixed all 3 just to make sure.  But, that probably wasn't needed.

#2.  Sometimes the trigger sears and hammers are a little soft.  The solution is the same as for #1. If you do this, replace hammer spring at the same time, and replace the trigger pin.  

#3.  Op rod springs tend to be a bit undersized in diameter and length.  Replace with USGI or after market.  Easiest fix of all.

#4.  The bolt.  Issue is over blown.  Many, many,  many users keep the bolt and shoot tons of ammo in their guns without an issue.  I replaced mine, but that was just to give me something to do.  I will disagree with Fluffy on this last part.  Some people don't recommend using TRW bolts, but that is because they are sometimes a little harder to fit into the Polytech receiver.  The other bolts(Winchester, Springfield, and Harrington Richardson) often are a bit easier to fit.

Polytech pluses outweight their minuses by a bunch.  Good reliable guns to have.
View Quote

Trade value was my next question. I had another gun listed for $1450, but from what I've read I don't think Polytechs are really in the same price ball park.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 12:09:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Trade value was my next question. I had another gun listed for $1450, but from what I've read I don't think Polytechs are really in the same price ball park.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can get a new Springfield Armory for around $1450.00. I wouldn't buy the Chinese M14, but that's just me.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 8:03:00 PM EDT
[#10]
They are junk.....and where EXACTLY is this rifle....I will go buy it to save you the embarrassment of owning it......

Buy it have the headspace checked...Change the stock and rear sight to USGI....done
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:47:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Polys usually run at least a couple of hundred dollars less, usually more than that,  than a similarly equipped Springfield M1aA.  Usually, the price difference is enough that if one has to do any of the minor fixes(not including the bolt), one often still comes out cheaper than a Springfield.
IMHO, $1450 is too much.  Unfortunately, prices surged after the last couple of elections, due to panic buying.  Though, they are dropping now.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 1:08:42 PM EDT
[#12]
The last Polytech I saw near me was around $1,000 . $1450 is a little high unless it comes with extras
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 3:25:47 PM EDT
[#13]
A shit ton of Norinco M14 rifles were accused of having bad bolts or bad receivers because they " failed" a head space check...using .308 Win. gauges when they have used 7.62 NATO gauges !  

From memory, .308 NO-GO is 1.634 in.  7.62 NATO GO is 1.636 in.  

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 12:24:07 PM EDT
[#14]
I regret selling my Polytech.  Great gun, never had any issues.

As others have stated - make sure the price is right for you (just like Springfields the price of Polys seems to be going up) and if you are concerned about the bolt go have it checked.  I never had any issues with mine.
BTW - The stock Poly stock (good Engrish there) are fine - just shiny due to lacquer.   If you plan on going tactical then you cans switch to a GI stock.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 12:47:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Apologizing me for forgetting.  On M14 of China, good to replace rear sights. Use new old stocking fascist sights of Beretta.
View Quote

Are we Paki taping or not?
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 2:01:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You can get a new Springfield Armory for around $1450.00. I wouldn't buy the Chinese M14, but that's just me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A new Springfield made of soft cast parts that were outsourced and manufactured in Taiwan or the Phillipines.  At least they have a good warranty......
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 1:21:12 PM EDT
[#17]
These are my thoughts.  My BIL has a polytech and it's a good rifle.  Real light too for an M1A.  That chinese wood is light.  It didn't fit in my Springy stock though.   So......  not sure what the deal was with that.  

As someone mentioned, I think the rear sights are a bigger problem then the bolt.  The one that came with my BIL's sucked.  But he replaced it with a USGI and it fit just fine and worked just fine.  It also had a USGI FH and front sight on it.  Had the original bolt and ran just fine.  I do believe it was checked for headspace...  I forget now.  

For some reason I thought springy receivers (M1A) were not made overseas.  I actually thought Ruger made them, but i don't really know.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 2:05:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
These are my thoughts.  My BIL has a polytech and it's a good rifle.  Real light too for an M1A.  That chinese wood is light.  It didn't fit in my Springy stock though.   So......  not sure what the deal was with that.  

As someone mentioned, I think the rear sights are a bigger problem then the bolt.  The one that came with my BIL's sucked.  But he replaced it with a USGI and it fit just fine and worked just fine.  It also had a USGI FH and front sight on it.  Had the original bolt and ran just fine.  I do believe it was checked for headspace...  I forget now.  

For some reason I thought springy receivers (M1A) were not made overseas.  I actually thought Ruger made them, but i don't really know.
View Quote

Wayne Machine and Tool out of Taiwan.  

FWIW I replaced the rear sights on my Poly with a USGI unit.  I may replace the flash hider but that's more of a cosmetic thing.  Flash hiders can be surprisingly expensive.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 2:10:21 PM EDT
[#19]
I love mine, and I have an extra M14 stock ready to sell you if you buy it!!!!
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 5:31:14 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
FWIW I replaced the rear sights on my Poly with a USGI unit.  I may replace the flash hider but that's more of a cosmetic thing.  Flash hiders can be surprisingly expensive.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Out of the 8 I've owned, only 1 had a rear sight that would hold position. I replaced mine with USGI also. All the Chinese windage knobs are marked WCE, so I don't buy any WCE since I cannot tell if they're US made or not. Mine wear USGI flash suppressors as well. They just don't look right with anything else.

Is the switch to WMT as the source of SA's receivers a change which occurred in the last decade? The last info I had was that they were importing unfinished castings from Imbel in Brazil, and then completing the CNC machining and finishing them here (which might've been outsourced as well). Does WMT supply them complete to SA? Do they supply more than the receivers?

Link Posted: 9/30/2016 9:46:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Out of the 8 I've owned, only 1 had a rear sight that would hold position. I replaced mine with USGI also. All the Chinese windage knobs are marked WCE, so I don't buy any WCE since I cannot tell if they're US made or not. Mine wear USGI flash suppressors as well. They just don't look right with anything else.  

Is the switch to WMT as the source of SA's receivers a change which occurred in the last decade? The last info I had was that they were importing unfinished castings from Imbel in Brazil, and then completing the CNC machining and finishing them here (which might've been outsourced as well). Does WMT supply them complete to SA? Do they supply more than the receivers?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good question.  Springfield has always been very cagey about their sources.  It has been "common knowledge" that Wayne has done most of their 14 work for years.  Imbel was mostly their 1911 stuff, tho apparently that is no longer the case.  All Springer 1911s are  now listed as made in the USA.  Whether Springer is forging their own slides and frames I don't know (but I doubt they are).
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 6:49:59 AM EDT
[#22]
I sooo regret selling mine. I bought it new in the 90's before the ban for like $450.
Kick myself especially now that I see what beat ones go for today.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 11:05:15 AM EDT
[#23]
How hard is it to replace the rear sight?
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 4:24:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Not very. Two screwdrivers.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 5:34:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
How hard is it to replace the rear sight?
View Quote

Very easy for doing and for showing how look for you tube video
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 1:36:00 AM EDT
[#26]
I've had my Poly M14 since 1996. I've read a lot of info over the years and honestly, I don't know what to believe anymore. Ron Smith's site used to have a great run down on the Chinese rifles. He noted that the bolts often tested softer than USGI Spec. That doesn't really mean that they are dangerously soft. He also noted that the lugs often didn't engage the receiver correctly. He noted that the rear sights often didn't function well. Otherwise he rated the parts to be on par with USGI, noting that the gas cylinders are carbon steel rather than stainless.
When I got mine, M14 parts were cheap and available through the CMP. Ron Smith did the bolt conversion with a new TRW bolt. Everything but the receiver, barrel, Op Rod and gas cylinder lock is USGI. I am pleased with my rifle. Because of the USGI parts, it's value is on the high end for Chinese M14's. The only reason it has them is, as I said; they were cheap in the 90's. These days, I'd still own a Poly M14, but I wouldn't bother with the expense of USGI parts, except the rear sight, and the whole 922r thing. Even the Chinese Mags are as good as USGI. I've got 22 M14 Mags. 6 are Chinese, and functionally I can't tell the difference.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top