Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2016 10:45:40 PM EDT
I locked back the bolt on my m1 garand and then tried to close it and now it won't shut. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 10:49:54 PM EDT
[#1]
have you recently cleaned and disassembled the rifle?  It's easy to put fhe follower arm in wrong, or something like that.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 10:51:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
have you recently cleaned and disassembled the rifle?  It's easy to put fhe follower arm in wrong, or something like that.
View Quote

Yep, sometimes the op-rod can get off track too.

Can  you post some pictures?

I'd start by taking the trigger group out and separating the stock and action.  Usually from there you can get it apart without much trouble.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 10:51:59 PM EDT
[#3]
No I just got it today. I'm new to garands so I'm not sure if I did something wrong.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 10:57:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
No I just got it today. I'm new to garands so I'm not sure if I did something wrong.
View Quote

Ok, if you are new to the garand, here's a quick first tip.

If the gun was not loaded (assuming it isn't) the bolt will lock back if  you pull it to the rear.  To unlock, depress the follower with your left thumb while holding onto the oprod and applying a little rearward pressure with your right hand.  Once the follower is down 1/2" or so, ease the op rod forward and it should go back into battery.  Just get your left thumb out of the way!
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 11:00:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Pull up some YouTube videos and diagnose!
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 11:04:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Ok will try that, I couldn't figure out how to post photos from my iPhone. Will let you know what happens.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 11:07:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I locked back the bolt on my m1 garand and then tried to close it and now it won't shut. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!
View Quote

This might come across condescending but......

Did you try holding the op rod to the rear while pushing the follower down and then see if the op rod will move forwards?  Watch out for the Garand thumb .  The rifle might be functioning perfectly normally, but if you're not used to the platform I can see where you might panic when the op rod locks to the rear and won't go back forwards again like an AR.  

Link Posted: 9/21/2016 11:18:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Did you try holding the op rod to the rear while pushing the follower down and then see if the op rod will move forwards?  Watch out for the Garand thumb .  The rifle might be functioning perfectly normally, but if you're not used to the platform I can see where you might panic when the op rod locks to the rear and won't go back forwards again like an AR.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

if you really are totally new to Garands, I would bet this is exactly the problem.  if the gun is unloaded, you have to push the follower down.  (that's where you would push the enbloc clip in).  

don't be ashamed, everyone was new to the Garand once  This is helpful:CMP:  How to Field Strip the M1 Garand
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 8:04:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Ok it worked! Thanks everyone for the help.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 8:17:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ok it worked! Thanks everyone for the help.
View Quote

Yep, it's definitely not an AR.

That's the first thing young dudenals learn about the ol' thumb-busting M1 ... Well, that and the "PING"!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top