Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2016 3:06:58 PM EDT
I need your help guys, I can't decide which stock to have on my M1A, My plan is to turn my M1A into a DMR style rifle (glass, Bipod, Possible suppressor).

But I can't decide what stock I wanna have on it. I love the look of wood but I had heard that wood doesn't hold up. I was thinking fiberglass/synthetic but heard they flex alot.

Can someone give me the pros and cons of both stocks?
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 4:30:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Wood doesn't hold up?

" />

It's not an M1A, but the wood is from WWII.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 5:01:55 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Wood doesn't hold up?

http://<a href=http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff503/nomadcity/IMG_20160721_161916.jpg</a>" />

It's not an M1A, but the wood is from WWII.
View Quote
that WAS what I heard, that and the wood swells when wet/moisture, but from that pic it's hard to argue

Link Posted: 8/14/2016 5:11:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd be looking at one of the newfangled stocks.  A good one.  If I had the money to.  I think your bedding and everything is more solid with less chances to wiggle around.  A newer wood stock that's tight is good, but there is always room for those to move with changes in humidity, temp, etc etc.  So people glass bed them to lessen that.  Like some do with a tradtional wood stock on a bolt gun.  

Anyways....  let us know how it goes.  With pics.  

If you like the traditional stock look and feel, you could always get a USGI synthetic and have it bedded and do a crazy horse build.  Wood would be my last option, but you could glass bed one of those too.  Or just shoot it and see how it goes.  You never know, you might have a good shooter with a tight wood stock.

I say all that because I've had my M1A for about 11-12 years and the wood stock was super tight when I got it.  But it has gotten looser over the years.  It sits in a synth stock now, but it's real loose.  I think the wood stock just gets more dry and contracts a little.  And I don't think it's overly humid in my basement, where it is stored.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 5:46:16 PM EDT
[#4]
The "composite" stocks on most new M1As is junk; toss it in the recycling bin and get yourself a USGI fiberglass stock; sand and paint to your liking.

Or get this McMillan stock - I bid on it, but not paying more than $500 for it.

My beautiful USGI FG stock on my Scout Squad.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 5:50:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 6:21:10 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

The "composite" stocks on most new M1As is junk; toss it in the recycling bin and get yourself a USGI fiberglass stock; sand and paint to your liking.

Or get this McMillan stock - I bid on it, but not paying more than $500 for it.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a362/Sablelieger/Weapons/B2226730-ACAF-40DA-B447-FA0F5B91B9FE_zpspdyxoe6c.jpg

My beautiful USGI FG stock on my Scout Squad.
View Quote
thanks for the help everyone!

how rugged would you say the USGI FG stock are?

Link Posted: 8/14/2016 6:46:39 PM EDT
[#7]

What type of stock is this then?

My Number

Link Posted: 8/14/2016 10:10:29 PM EDT
[#8]

That's a repainted USGI fiberglass stock. Duh!

The newer composite stocks are junk worthy of the recycling bin; yours is not.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 10:34:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Slight hijack.

Two questions:

1. What should someone pay for an excellent condition usgi stock? Looking here

2. Has someone had a noticable improvement to accuracy by switching to a usgi stock?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 11:00:43 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Sorry

I don't really know what fiberglass is TBH

But cool, so I guess I'll stick with what I have and just re paint it

Thanks bud

another question, is it normal to have wiggle wear the lower half meets the upper have by the gas plug (The ring at the front of the stock)

Link Posted: 8/15/2016 6:04:10 AM EDT
[#11]
You can get a heavy/thick wood stock.  Folks used to call them NM (National Match) stocks.  Thicker wood is stiffer and resists warping more and it's heavier.  It should also have your rifle bedded into the stock with an epoxy compound by an experienced M14 gun smith who knows how to do it right.  And then you should only remove the rifle from the stock about once each year for a thorough cleaning and relubing.  The stock is better able to resist moisture changes (the cause of warpage) if it's well coated with whatever you choose to refinish it with.  Meaning you need the finish inside and outside on the wood surfaces.

The GI synthetic stocks can be stiffened along the forend.  Several good threads on it at the M14 Firing Line form.  People have used different things to epoxy into the channel to stiffen the forend.  Again, if done wrong it can interfere with the rifle function/op rod movement.

Mine had a wood stock on it for about 27 years.  I finally put a GI synthetic stock on it several years ago and saw no change in performance (it was never a tack driver anyway).  I do like the idea of the synthetic stock being pretty much weather proof.

I put a bipod on mine several years ago.  I don't think I'd do that today.  A bipod is okay for plinking at a range, or taking single shots, or slow shots.  But if you start a rapid fire exercise at targets that vary in range and left/right placement across the range you'll find out a good sling supported firing position is quicker and you won't be fighting the bipod bouncing around.

I used to see GI synthetic stocks at gun shows quite often.  The last one I bought was $35 and it was in excellent condition.  I bought it because a few tables down another guy was selling them, in worse condition, for $100 each.  Look around, keep your eyes open, you'll find what you want.  Oh, again, the M14 Firing Line forum has members who sell GI synthetic stocks from time to time.

Link Posted: 8/20/2016 6:40:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Did someone say wood stock?  I'll just leave this here.

Pro:  Looks amazing
Con: Chin weld for scope even though the mount/ring setup is as low as it can go with a rear sight installed

M1A loaded.
NM flash hider
NM gas cylinder
Sadlak piston
Sadlak spring guide
Arms #18 mount
Nightforce 2.5-10x
Birch "Big Red" usgi stock w/fake full auto kit to fill in the gap. *Not bedded*

1.5 MOA gun with M118LR.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 8:44:35 AM EDT
[#13]
OP, one of the downsides of the USGI fiberglass stocks is that the forend is a bit too flexible.  This can be fixed by epoxying some stiffeners inside.  I used graphite arrow shafts, which had been recommended to me.  Next time, I will get some 3/8" or 1/2" angle aluminum and use that instead.  But, the nice thing about the fiberglass stocks, you can fill the selector switch cutout and then paint it to hide the work.  

Polytech M14 receiver
Win bolt
SAI medium weight barrel
Bassett scope mount
Bushnell 10x Mil Dot scope.
SEI Coast guard muzzle brake
Birch stock

For those who like wooden handguards.

Short rifle:
Polytech receiver
Win bolt
Criterion 18" barrel

Long rifle:
JRA receiver
HRA USGI parts
Citadel barrel

Link Posted: 8/21/2016 8:53:34 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Did someone say wood stock?  I'll just leave this here.

Pro:  Looks amazing

Con: Chin weld for scope even though the mount/ring setup is as low as it can go with a rear sight installed

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa327/drewdasponge/M1aloaded_zpshp9bejoy.jpg

M1A loaded.

NM flash hider

NM gas cylinder

Sadlak piston

Sadlak spring guide

Arms #18 mount

Nightforce 2.5-10x

Birch "Big Red" usgi stock w/fake full auto kit to fill in the gap. *Not bedded*

1.5 MOA gun with M118LR.
View Quote
WOW

I think I'm in love! I'm going to pick up a wood stock anyway. The M1A looks naked without wood.

I'll just made sure to take extra care of it

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top