Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2016 9:58:52 AM EDT
School me on one of these. I'm moving out of state and have always just wanted one for my collection. I have a line on a General Motors/Saginaw SG M1 Carbine. I don't think it was ever armory refurbished. It has a 7 digit serial number from what I can see in the crappy picture of the back of the receiver. When I get it in my hands, what do I look for as far as possible damage to parts, worn out parts, tell tale signs of super coolness?
Thanks for any help!!!
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:20:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
School me on one of these. I'm moving out of state and have always just wanted one for my collection. I have a line on a General Motors/Saginaw SG M1 Carbine. I don't think it was ever armory refurbished. It has a 7 digit serial number from what I can see in the crappy picture of the back of the receiver. When I get it in my hands, what do I look for as far as possible damage to parts, worn out parts, tell tale signs of super coolness?
Thanks for any help!!!
View Quote

The first thing I did when I moved out of NJ was add the M1 Carbine to my buy list
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:47:52 AM EDT
[#2]
The most desirable and parts worth a lot of money on a carbine are early / WWII parts.  If it DOESN'T have a bayo lug, that would be indicative of an earlier barrel band.

If it HAS a flip rear, non adjustable sight, it is a WWII type sight.

A high wood stock is extremely rare and is worth money and WWII Era.  That means where the op slide is visible, it is not relieved like the newer ones and has a straight line, on the bottom stock.

An actual 30 round USGI mag is desirable.  Because they're not overly prevalent and they're the only ones that work well, besides the korean ones.  So I hear.  15 round USGI mags are not overly valuable but desired.  But you have to know what you're looking for.  They have a marking on the rear, usually two letters.  

A push button safety is an early WWII safety.  Later came flips.  The later mag catches are actually more desirable, because they typically keep the mags in place better.  It has a little finger that is 90 degrees.  

But here's the big rub, especially with rear flip sights, there are reproduction parts out there and some guys are using this to make their USGI carbine appear to be WWII.  And depending on the person may pretend like it's a true WWII carbine.  Most you find are arsenal rebuilds after the war that have low wood stocks, adjustable rear sights, bayo lugs and flip safeties.  

Check to see if there is a flaming bomb on the barrel and date of manufacture.  All the USGI ones had that.  That will help you know if it has a new or original barrel.  The marking is a little behind the front sight on the top of the barrel.  

That's about all I can throw you off the top of my head.  The ins and outs of USGI M-1 Carbines is a very complicated deal.  But most people that have ones that run good love them.  They are very light and handy.   And have a great historical significance.  Being the most produced rifle of WWII.  Or small arm in general I think.  And lots of guys carried one.  In combat and not in combat.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:02:08 PM EDT
[#3]
USGI carbines are a buyer beware market.

The vast majority of the 6 million plus carbines built during WWII have been rebuilt. Many several times. Genuine, original, un-rebuilt carbines are few and expensive. However the market is flooded with carbines being sold as original, never-rebuilt guns meant to deceive. These are put-together with reproduction parts, many from China and many hard to tell from original unless you have educated yourself.

A USGI carbine that has been rebuilt with updated parts by U.S. arsenals are honest guns with history and usually good shooters also if the bore/muzzle is good.

Many USGI carbines have been brought back into the country over the last 25 years or so. By law these had to be stamped with the importers company name, usually on the barrel. These usually bring a little less then an unmarked gun in comparable condition. Usually around $100-$200 depending on the market and area of the country you live in.

http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php

http://m1carbineforum.forumco.com/default.asp
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:11:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The first thing I did when I moved out of NJ was add the M1 Carbine to my buy list
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for any help!!!

It's on my list of rifles to get when I leave New Jersistan as well.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 12:43:02 PM EDT
[#5]
OK. So, I got my hands on it and took it apart to check it out. Someone varnished the stock to start... There is surface rust on the barrel. It wasn't stored very well. There is no bayonet lug. Just the stamped barrel band with the sling loop on it. The barrel is stamped General Motors Saginaw SG. There is also a 'P' stamped on the barrel under the stock. From what I found online, the serial number indicates May of 1943. It has a 15 round mag that is stamped 'LU' on the back side. All of the parts that were marked are marked "SG.'

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y366/mw27/20160726_074855.jpg

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y366/mw27/20160726_074843.jpg

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y366/mw27/20160726_074938.jpg

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y366/mw27/20160726_074949.jpg

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y366/mw27/20160726_075006.jpg
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:03:39 PM EDT
[#6]
AFAIK, that's the earlier type rear sight and that thing MAY be somewhat unmolested.  Besides the varnish on the stock.  Either way if it shoots, it will be a fun gun.  There were some carbines in WWII that had no bayo lug but adustable rears.  Which is why I said it MAY be original.  

I'm no expert though.  Looks good.  Clean it, get yourself an op slide spring that is 10-1/4" long, if it's not, some ammo, and see if she runs.   Orion 7 is a good place for springs.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 4:03:26 PM EDT
[#7]
What would you think it's worth? In it's current condition.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 4:36:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 10:16:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Take your carbine questions to jouster.com. You will find real carbine experts there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top