Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/25/2016 1:00:49 PM EDT
Okay, I picked up a Garand few days ago for a good price.  It was well used and could use a new barrel soon.  The rifle can clean and well lubed so I just cleaned out the bore real good and then went to the range.  I shot one clip of old Greek surplus ammo I had and it worked okay.  While shooting second clip it tried to eject the clip and cartridges after 4 or 5th round.  On the third clip it did it again after 2 or 3 round.  After that it tried to eject the clip and cartridge after the first shot.  After a while I gave up and came home.

Anybody have any idea where I should look for the problem?  I've had other Garand rifles in past but never had a problem like this before.  

Link Posted: 4/25/2016 1:35:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Troubleshooting chart.

Does it happen with just one clip?  If so, ditch the clip, the nubs that hold it in place are worn.

More than one clip?  Start with a new clip latch and/or spring (they're cheap enough, I'd replace both).  It's the bar on the left side of the receiver.  There's a little nub that sticks into the receiver that holds the clip in place.  When the clip is inserted, the nub holds it in place until the clip is empty.  If the nub's worn, then the recoil may cause it to slip off the clip, ejecting the clip prematurely.

About 90% of the time, this is the problem.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 2:22:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you for your reply.
Yes, this happened with 4 or 5 different clips.
I'm going to order both parts and see if it fixes the problem.

Link Posted: 4/25/2016 5:24:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Do not replace the clip latch, very rarely is this the culprit. Most often it is either the clip latch spring, foreign enblocs or the lobe is worn on the bullet guide.
What is the markings on the enblocs you are using? Do you have a micormeter that you can measure the bullet guide lobe with?
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 6:22:17 PM EDT
[#4]
The clip latch spring should be around 5/8" long.  Go ahead and get an oprod spring while you're at it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 7:14:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I was going to suggest buying a whole spring kit.   Fresh springs fix a host of maladies.

the bare essentials would be the clip latch spring and an op rod spring.   The next priorities would be the ejector and extractor springs in my book.   hammer springs I like worn.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 9:09:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Do as Steelton said and get a spring kit-Orion 7 is a good place to start. I had this problem with
my M1. The worn part for me was the clip latch pin-part that holds the latch in. I also replaced my
springs but ultimately it was the pin.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:56:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I had this problem once.  The cause was the fulcrum on the bullet guide.

The fulcrum should be at least .179" wide.  Some of the earlier ones measured .175".  

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 5:47:06 AM EDT
[#8]
The bullet guide "lobe" or "fulcrum" is measured by height not width
Specs are  0.179" + 0.004". Older bullets guides without  notch on the side and will measure 0.175" + 0.004".  
As I mentioned earlier this needs to be measure with a micrometer
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:55:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Specs are  0.179" + 0.004". Older bullets guides without  notch on the side and will measure 0.175" + 0.004".  
View Quote

Thank you for the correcting my error.  Back in the 1950s, there was a contractor, the Hart Manufacturing Company and they manufactured notched bullet guides.  You can find these today on the surplus market as new old stock parts still in wrapped in green wax paper.  They usually cost about 12 bucks each.

You can buy ten of them in a cool cardboard box.  Which reminds me, I have to buy another box.

These parts are most excellent for any repair or build and they feature a properly sized fulcrum
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:00:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Well that's one bit of trivia I did not know.   I knew the notched ones were later but didn't know it was tied to the change in height.  I knew there was a height change.  I just didn't know they were connected.  Makes sense.  I always figured that notch was something from a manufacturing process, some kind of jig index or something.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 4:42:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I dont think the notch has anything to do with it as there are also later stamped bullet guides with taller lobes
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 7:46:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Ah OK, I thought you were saying it was purposely put there to mark the high lobed ones.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top