BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 11:23:13 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

After oogling 03a3's and 1917's this weekend, I'm so damn excited.
View Quote
03's, A3's, and 1917's are next on my list, not necessarily in that order...
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 11:36:00 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

1917's are pretty easy to find around 500-600, just make sure it isn't an eddystone with a JA (Johnson Automatic) barrel or you might be a victim of the eddystone curse.  Expect a frosted bore with some pitting more than likely.

Shooter grade 03A3's are in the same range up to 700 and collectible ones go up towards 800-900.  Know what to look for to be sure you're not getting a re-activated drill rifle.

03's are a beast of their own.  Refurbs with WWII era barrels will go for 600-800.  Correct ones will go up to around 1200.  Of course if you get a Mark I that adds some value, and if you're lucky enough to find one with the Pederson Device you're going to be paying a LOT for it.  Also keep in mind there are re-activated drill rifles floating around out there, far fewer than 03A3's though.  
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 6:03:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

1917's are pretty easy to find around 500-600, just make sure it isn't an eddystone with a JA (Johnson Automatic) barrel or you might be a victim of the eddystone curse.  Expect a frosted bore with some pitting more than likely.

Shooter grade 03A3's are in the same range up to 700 and collectible ones go up towards 800-900.  Know what to look for to be sure you're not getting a re-activated drill rifle.

03's are a beast of their own.  Refurbs with WWII era barrels will go for 600-800.  Correct ones will go up to around 1200.  Of course if you get a Mark I that adds some value, and if you're lucky enough to find one with the Pederson Device you're going to be paying a LOT for it.  Also keep in mind there are re-activated drill rifles floating around out there, far fewer than 03A3's though.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Info on the Eddystones and curse?  I'd like an Eddystone since I'm in PA.  Also, any links on looking for reactivated rifles?
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 7:14:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Hey Tallest, when your m1 comes in, wanna go to cherry ridge? I have some enblocs if you want to borrow a cup

nick
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tallest and I sent similar orders in on the same day.  Both of them arrived with in a day of each other and both orders seemed to have been slightly misplaced at CMP for a while so we will see how fast they get filled.  (My order was read to quickly by the processing department and they forgot to notice that it was for a service grade rifle and not just a guy randomly sending in his club affiliation so he could do an estore order in the future....)

Did they add a case to your order yet? They haven't on mine, still says pending and it's still just showing a pre-authorization on my CC but nothing has moved in almost a month.

Quoted:
I don't give a shit how long it takes.  If I get two rifles with non-reparked receivers and GI wood I will be fucking ecstatic.

I'm the opposite, I just want a Garand and don't care if it's matching or reparked or original or has seen action. I'll be happy with whatever I get provided I can shoot it.

I don't buy guns I can't shoot. Well, except for my father's H. Aston 1842 Percussion Cap pistol; but mainly because I don't think I'll be able to get it to the point where it can be safely fired.

Hey Tallest, when your m1 comes in, wanna go to cherry ridge? I have some enblocs if you want to borrow a cup

nick

Yeah, I'm always up for hitting Cherry Ridge. I'll let you know when I get mine.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 8:17:09 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Info on the Eddystones and curse?  I'd like an Eddystone since I'm in PA.  Also, any links on looking for reactivated rifles?
View Quote

They screwed the replacement JA barrels on too tight with a lathe and can result in cracks in the receiver.  You may not noticed them, or they can show up if you try to rebarrel the rifle at a later date (though if the receiver is good a smith can use a lathe to cut the barrel shoulder down up against the receiver face and there's good chance it'll be fine.).  I personally wouldn't buy an Eddystone without physically looking at it and taking it out of the stock to examine it carefully with a magnifying glass/loupe/magnifying glasses.  I'm still looking for one since I'm from PA as well.

As far as reactivated rifles go you need to look for evidence of welds at the mag cut offs and on the bottom of the receiver where the barrel mates up.  There's 3 variations of drill rifles, all of them had a steel rod dipped in salt water dropped down the bore, pinned in place, chamber filled and bottom of chamber cut with a torch.

1. 1 spot weld on mag cutoff 1 spot weld on barrel/receiver

2. 2 spot welds on mag cutoff 1 spot weld on barrel/receiver

3. u shaped stitch weld on mag cutoff stitch weld on barrel/receiver

telltale giveaways  are discoloration of the metal from the weld (heat affected zone/HAZ), or lack of park in that spot because the welds won't take it.  Mag cutoff detent divots missing, or that are has damage from rotary cutting tools, files, sanding.  

I forgot to mention 1903's you need to pay attention to the SN as well.  Low number rifles are considered wall hangers for both Rock Island and Springfield.  Some people shoot them so long as they have a bolt marked NS.  
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 8:39:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I have an Eddystone with JA barrel which I have shot for years. The problem has existed but isn't as big an issue as some think. As for checking for potential cracked receiver I would suggest an old method I have used; remove the stock, soak the receiver with mineral spirits as it dries if there is a crack it will be visible.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 9:02:56 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I have an Eddystone with JA barrel which I have shot for years. The problem has existed but isn't as big an issue as some think. As for checking for potential cracked receiver I would suggest an old method I have used; remove the stock, soak the receiver with mineral spirits as it dries if there is a crack it will be visible.
View Quote

Yup that's a good method, but I don't know of many sellers (gun shops and individuals) who will let you do that.  Most look at you like this if you ask to take the stock off or strip down something.  Collectors typically get it, but not everyone's a collector.  
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 9:07:33 AM EDT
[#8]
I miss the days of being young and stupid;

Does rifle look nice?  Yes/No
Does bore look good?  Yes/No

If both are yes, buy.  Now there's all kinds of crazy obscure shit to remember.  My fault is I'm a jack of all trades (with literally everything) and it's incredibly hard to retain e-v-e-r-y-thing.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 11:58:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Looks like I will be receiving a late date Springfield.  5.97mil serial.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 9:48:57 PM EDT
[#10]

"Mid to late 2017 is still my estimated end date for the complete Garands if we receive no more." Is what Mark Johnson from CMP said. What the he'll does this mean?
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 12:34:19 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

"Mid to late 2017 is still my estimated end date for the complete Garands if we receive no more." Is what Mark Johnson from CMP said. What the he'll does this mean?
View Quote

You can read into that multiple ways honestly. The end result is still the same. we are getting closer to the end of the line unless more rifles, which were loaned to other countries a long time ago, start coming back.

The fat lady started singing back in the late 50s early 60s when the last factory M1 rolled off the line. At that exact moment the supply became finite and began dwindling.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 11:43:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Case added on my service grade and CC hit.  Nothing on the field....thanks K1
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 1:27:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Yep, those 12 fucked up thousands of orders!!!!!

I'll likely see my 611 service before I see my 607 field

And that guy that got the uncut wra op rod, him too...
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 1:34:59 PM EDT
[#14]
CMP is only just breaking into the 609 orders. It's going to be a good long while before I see my 611 Service.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 1:37:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
CMP is only just breaking into the 609 orders. It's going to be a good long while before I see my 611 Service.
View Quote

I'm 603xxx on both orders.

Order numbers don't mean shit.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 2:03:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is true, they are all over the place.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 5:59:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Any one getting email updates with their cases added or CC hits or shipped orders or is just showing up on the e-store only?.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 6:01:45 PM EDT
[#18]
I've got money burning a hole in my pocket. Screw it I'm just gonna buy a M1A!!!
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 9:46:58 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

CC hit yesterday... no S/N listed in estore yet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I dropped an order for a service grade on 4/3, and haven't heard a peep...
Got my DBU today... Also hit the estore today... no s/n yet.
And it's here!  HRA 5,719,xxx ME: 1 TE: 2+ GI wood
Pics soon...
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 10:28:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
And it's here!  HRA 5,719,xxx ME: 1 TE: 2+ GI woodPics soon...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You got mine.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 11:17:43 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Post pics of the heel where the receiver sits, tell me the size of the DAS eagle, and a profile shot of the trigger to comb. I can tell you if you have a HRA stock or not that way. If you want to know what wood your handguards are made of just take a close up shot of the grain pattern.

Link Posted: 7/13/2016 11:19:17 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Any one getting email updates with their cases added or CC hits or shipped orders or is just showing up on the e-store only?.
View Quote

You should get a shopping notification. But justo be safe register for a FedEx account and you will know whenever someone creates a label for your address.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 11:20:24 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Case added on my service grade and CC hit.  Nothing on the field....thanks K1
View Quote

Glad I could help delay your fun so you get Christmas three times this year .....you're welcome
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 11:55:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I've got money burning a hole in my pocket. Screw it I'm just gonna buy a M1A!!!
View Quote

add a 1 to the end of that and i can help you out
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 6:06:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

estore
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 7:09:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've gotten no updates beyond the, "Added to eStore on June 20th" email. Still shows a pre-authorization for my CC but no actual hit, haven't added a case and it still says "Pending" and "Open Order" with an amount due of $730.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 7:33:05 AM EDT
[#27]
sitting patiently with 6088xx and 6088x2 estore no dbu

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 8:32:31 AM EDT
[#28]
2.9mil; May '44.

Stickied for WWII and GI wood.  We'll see about the wood....  I was getting very worried I'd get an H&R.

I'm so damn excited
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 9:40:28 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

2.9mil; May '44.

Stickied for WWII and GI wood.  We'll see about the wood....  I was getting very worried I'd get an H&R.

I'm so damn excited
View Quote

Why would you be worried about a H&R?  They honestly made some of the nicest M1 Garands IMHO.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 9:50:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Why would you be worried about a H&R?  They honestly made some of the nicest M1 Garands IMHO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
2.9mil; May '44.

I'm so damn excited

I keep trying to get one and keep getting inferior Springfields. If I buy my other 10 will they just give me one already?
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 9:55:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
2.9mil; May '44.

I'm so damn excited

I prefer history  The mystery of what it might have seen is captivating to me.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 10:53:33 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Post pics of the heel where the receiver sits, tell me the size of the DAS eagle, and a profile shot of the trigger to comb. I can tell you if you have a HRA stock or not that way. If you want to know what wood your handguards are made of just take a close up shot of the grain pattern.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hopefully will get some pics tonight
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 1:39:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Order for service grade Garand mailed via USPO with no tracking 4/5/16
Order received: 4/11/16
DBU received: 5/28/16
Issue with club membership.
Issue resolved: 6/1/16
E-store: 6/3/16
Order# 609269
CC hit, Case added.  No serial # yet.

Any one getting these on a Saturday or is it just weekday delivery?  I have to work....

Edit:  I was hoping for a Monday through Wednesday delivery time.  It is always best for the wife to gradually be introduced to my new friends.  
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 2:02:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Order# 609269

Any one getting these on a Saturday or is it just weekday delivery?  I have to work....

Edit:  I was hoping for a Monday through Wednesday delivery time.  It is always best for the wife to gradually be introduced to my new friends.  
View Quote

I think priority overnight is business days only.  Priority overnight is also supposed to be before 10:30am, but my Fedex guy shows up after 6pm...in a Penske rental truck...
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 2:19:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Yes! Case added and CC hit!

Anybody have a clue what this means though?

"AVS Error: No match on address or Z"

Because that's what it says on my eStore. I guess I'll have to call them.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 3:47:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

I get that every time, it doesn't mean anything
concerned me the first time, too
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 4:56:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK , I was worried they didn't like something.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 7:32:56 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I keep trying to get one and keep getting inferior Springfields. If I buy my other 10 will they just give me one already?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

2.9mil; May '44.

I'm so damn excited

Consider 1 out of 12 of mine is a HRA...maybe.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 10:19:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine says AVS OK.  I'm guessing it will ship Friday.  You living in NJ may get it before me.  Up in this outpost next day is sometimes a relative thing.  In looking at CMP forums it does look like they do Saturday deliveries.

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 10:54:19 PM EDT
[#40]
had to look it up, slightly different than i remembered...

mine always says, "AVS Warning: 5-digit Zip code match"
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 7:47:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Mine says AVS OK.  I'm guessing it will ship Friday.  You living in NJ may get it before me.  Up in this outpost next day is sometimes a relative thing.  In looking at CMP forums it does look like they do Saturday deliveries.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My LGS may get it Saturday but he probably won't call me about it until next week.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 7:56:24 AM EDT
[#42]
Well they charged the card for three service models yesterday .
6088xx

Two fields to follow, someone evidently depleted the field supply for the month of July.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 8:23:44 AM EDT
[#43]
I'm so damn excited.

My serial has my sons bday in it.  Guess he's getting the service grade.  Daughter will get field
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 12:52:30 PM EDT
[#44]
I didn't get an email with serial numbers or anything but I just logged into the eStore and saw that it's shipped.

There's a note that says, "Deliver Weekday" so I'm guessing I won't hear anything until Monday or Tuesday from my LGS.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 1:19:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Order# 609269

View Quote

Shipping out today.
Looks like I'm getting a February 1945 Springfield if my quick look at the numbers is right.  Should be here Saturday or Monday.  #3549xxx.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 1:45:59 PM EDT
[#46]
I'll have pics when I get home.  I would have stayed home, but a good buddy retired from work today and I wouldn't miss his last day.

What sling do I get and where?  I'd like a leather one.  Is the 1907 WWII correct?  Or is it the cotton green one?
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 3:15:50 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

I'll have pics when I get home.  I would have stayed home, but a good buddy retired from work today and I wouldn't miss his last day.

What sling do I get and where?  I'd like a leather one.  Is the 1907 WWII correct?  Or is it the cotton green one?
View Quote

Green web are fine. CMP had them too. If you want leather I can give you the contact info for someone who has pretty nice ones.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 8:40:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Green web are fine. CMP had them too. If you want leather I can give you the contact info for someone who has pretty nice ones.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If they're original, I'm interested, shoot the info my way.

She's a beauty.  Not sure what the stock is (birch?), but it's got two rack numbers on it.  One written in sharpie, and one printed/embossed on a green laminate sticker.  2.91 serial; not a repark receiver.  ME2 TE2

Link Posted: 7/15/2016 9:23:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

She's a beauty.  Not sure what the stock is (birch?), but it's got two rack numbers on it.  One written in sharpie, and one printed/embossed on a green laminate sticker.  2.91 serial; not a repark receiver.  ME2 TE2

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7319/28255287311_e37593a07c_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8833/28255285601_0179bd71c8_b.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7319/28255287311_e37593a07c_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8833/28255285601_0179bd71c8_b.jpg

That sure is pretty. I hope mine is as pretty. I'll know on Monday when it comes in.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 9:53:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Mine says overnight but it also says weekday delivery.  I have seen that some are getting them on Saturday on the CMP forums.  Anyone know about this?  I have to be there and need to know if I need to stick around on Saturday.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top