BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:09:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Lookin really really nice.  

When you gonna shoot it?  

One little comment about the stain, I'm not sure it will protect it as good as BLO or tung oil.  But I'm not an expert in those areas.  I think the difference being that stain is typically meant for household stuff.  The oils that the military used obviously was chosen to protect the wood against harsh elements.  I think.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:48:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lookin really really nice.  

When you gonna shoot it?  

One little comment about the stain, I'm not sure it will protect it as good as BLO or tung oil.  But I'm not an expert in those areas.  I think the difference being that stain is typically meant for household stuff.  The oils that the military used obviously was chosen to protect the wood against harsh elements.  I think.
View Quote

I hope to shoot it this weekend! I'm really looking forward to it.  The stains is just for color.   Once I get home tonight I'll start applying the finish.  I have had great luck with Minwax Antique Oil.  It is like a Boiled Linseed oil with a hardener.   The one thing I really like over BLO is Antique oil can be built up to fill grain.  I'll post updates showing the process.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 5:09:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Aaah, see, you're way ahead of me.  LOL.  I was just tryin to help.  But again you've proven to have a handle on this.    Looking forward to range report.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:31:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Last picture before tearing it back down to apply finish.  It probably won't be back together again until Saturday.  But is should be looking a lot better in the finish department!
" />
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:58:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Damn son, that there's a purty rifle!
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:48:56 AM EDT
[#6]
3 coats of Oil on the stock already.  Normally I would start to build up the finish to fill the pores at this point.  I think I'm content with the current finish. Fancy oil rubbed finishes are great on hunting rifles but would look out of place on something Usgi.

I will post some pics tonight.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 3:17:21 PM EDT
[#7]
It's done!! I took it out for a test fire today.  First I fired one round; single loaded.  The rifle fired; bolt locked to the rear. Success! Next I loaded a clip and fired 2 more rounds at rocks in the pasture.  My hits were low.  I adjusted the sight up 6 click and proceeded to smash baseball sized rocks for the next 6 rounds(75-130yards).  On an empty gun the bolt locked to the rear and the clip ejected.  I loaded a second clip and shot 8 more rounds more rapidly(bolt locked,clip ejected).  Rocks were smashed and I was smiling!   So my function check went off without a hitch.  17 rounds fired. Perfect.  Cases look good w/no pressure signs.  Load was: 45gr IMR 4895, commercial cases, CCI benchrest primers, and 150gr bulk Hornady ball.

Tomorrow I will see how it goups at 50 yards. Pictures:
" />
" />
" />
" />

I will post how well it shoots when I get a chance.  In the upcoming days I will also post everything I have into it.
I have really enjoyed this project and appreciate anyone who reads or comments on this thread.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 3:37:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Damn nice restoration project!
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 6:01:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Woooohoooooooo.  I think 6-8 clicks up is spec for a Garand.  Nice.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 9:57:33 AM EDT
[#10]
My only problem with this build is that now you have an M1 that's too damn beautiful to shoot!  Normally I'm able to treat my weapons like the tools that they are and embrace the dents, dings, and other wear, but I'd have a tough time treating that rifle like an M1 deserves to be treated for fear of damaging the finish.  Really an awesome job.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 4:55:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for all the comments!  As promised here is the total I have into this project:

Includes all shipping and tax.

$150*- Rifle(*traded parts and cash value)
$124-Stock
$7.74- Upper handgaurd clip
$22.95-1907 Sling
$17.95- Operating rod spring
$5.70- Clip Latch spring
$9.77- En Block clips(5)

Total-$338.11

The result is a rifle I really like!

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:23:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the comments!  As promised here is the total I have into this project:

Includes all shipping and tax.

$150*- Rifle(*traded parts and cash value)
$124-Stock
$7.74- Upper handgaurd clip
$22.95-1907 Sling
$17.95- Operating rod spring
$5.70- Clip Latch spring
$9.77- En Block clips(5)

Total-$338.11

The result is a rifle I really like!

View Quote

Damn.  a fully outfitted 10/22 would cost me more.  You really scored big and made something awesome.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 12:21:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Excellent job! It looks fantastic.
You probably already know this, but just in case: the use of match or benchrest primers in M1/M14 type rifles is somewhat controversial because of the potential for slamfires. Discussions tend to produce a lot of heat without much light.
Since many, many folks have far more experience than I on the subject of reloading for the Garand, I won't offer an opinion, merely note the issue since OP is obviously an experienced reloader, but an acknowledged Garand novice.
Again, congratulations on a beautiful rifle!
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:41:26 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Tonight's project was to load some test ammo.  I went with 45 gr of IMR 4895 under a 150gr FMJ BT.  I also loaded 10 rounds @46 gr to test as well if I have cycling issues.  

http://<a href=http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w383/znorin/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsdnpqfzj8.jpeg</a>" />
My op rod spring should be here tomorrow or Saturday.  My stock should be here early next week.  I really am looking forward to mounting this thing in a stock and shouldering it for the first time!
View Quote

You ought to take some 400 grit sandpaper to your seater die bullet plug and break that hard edge on the inside of it.
And what finish/stain are you using on that new stock?  it came out very nice.

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:07:50 PM EDT
[#15]
The finish process I used was:

1 coat of Minwax Red Oak-4 hours of drying-1 coat of Minwax Red Sedona

Let dry for one day and buffed completely

1 coat Minwax Antique Oil a day. (3 days, heavy buffing after each application)

Link Posted: 5/5/2016 9:45:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Looks like a great rebuild nice job.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 9:16:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I finally got to take my project Garand out for a proper range day.  40 rds total, no malfunctions.  It shoots great!

The rifle was on paper right off the get go.  It turns out my fears about the barrel being crap were incorrect.  
I started by shooting a 5 shot group off my backpack; it measured just under 2"!  Next I fired an 8 shot group
with a sling, prone unsupported.  This is the only target I remembered to keep.  I was pretty happy about a 5 1/2"
group from that position.  I adjusted the sights and moved on.
" />
I then shot the rest of my ammo at my 12" plate.  I shot @ 150, 200,(standing/sitting) and 300 yards(prone w/sling)
As long as I didn't get "slappy" with the trigger I got hits.
Here is a pic w/ it's little brother
" />
Here is a pic at the end of a clip
" />
In closing I have to say that this is my favorite rifle to shoot in my collection.  It runs like a top, has great sights, and gives
Instant feedback on steel.
Thanks for following along.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 11:40:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Nice job.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 8:05:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Looks good. The stain does too but its not original.

Its tung nut or linseed oil (the UN boiled type) is what you need.

let it soak for a week and drip dry in hanging the summer sun light....
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 8:17:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thanks for the tip!  I am a huge fan of the finish I've used on these guns as it hardens and never feels sticky.
It also has a low sheen.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 8:32:30 PM EDT
[#21]

Nice job op
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 2:22:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Are you really recommending raw linseed oil?  Why?
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:12:55 AM EDT
[#23]
That thing looks awesome.  The stock looks great.  You really got a good deal and did a good job.  And aint it great that a barrel can look awful and still shoot fine?  I'm glad it wasn't fubar'd.  Saved you some money and hassle.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 10:07:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The proper finish specified by the Ordnance Dept for the armories was BOILED linseed oil. This goes back to before the Civil War !
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 8:12:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Beautiful f***ing rifle OP !!!
That is the most beautiful piece of wood I've ever seen on a rifle. As others stated it looks too good to shoot. You're gonna cry the first time you scratch or ding it.

Great write up and info, enjoyed reading this thread. Good job !

How does the bore look now that its' had a few rounds through it ?

I have an 03-A3 that was in a house fire and needed a total resto, after scrubbing the bore till my arm was ready to fall off it still had a nasty section about 1 1/2'' long 6'' from the muzzle. A friend suggested shooting it might clean it out.
5 rounds later the nasty section was gone and the bore looks new again.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 8:20:31 PM EDT
[#26]
The bore looks a lot better than when I started.  It is, however, still very dark and far from smooth.  It took a lot of elbow grease to get it to where it is now.  I'm perfectly happy with a dark bore that shoots!
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 10:54:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Nice job bringing that rifle back to life. Glad the original barrel turned out OK, too.        

Link Posted: 5/15/2016 10:44:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 7:54:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Noooooooooooooooooooooooo.  Who are you Napoleon Tannerite?
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 6:48:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Now what you need to do is put both the rifle and carbine in the back of a pickup truck with 100 pounds of gravel and broken concrete blocks and drive around in the rain and sun for a couple of weeks.  Clean them up and ***Presto! *** "Bring backs!"  

-- Chuck

View Quote

I appreciate the suggestion but I think they will stay nice and oiled in my safe!  
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 5:41:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I reassembled it after staining to double check fit.  Here are a couple quick pics.  I'll continue to update as the finish process continues.
Love this rifle!
http://<a href=http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w383/znorin/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps2c4l0att.jpeg</a>" />
http://<a href=http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w383/znorin/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpslk1vc9oa.jpeg</a>" />
View Quote

OMG that stock is gorgeous.  Where did it come from?
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 10:03:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I reassembled it after staining to double check fit.  Here are a couple quick pics.  I'll continue to update as the finish process continues.
Love this rifle!
http://<a href=http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w383/znorin/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps2c4l0att.jpeg</a>" />
http://<a href=http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w383/znorin/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpslk1vc9oa.jpeg</a>" />

Dupage Trading CO.  It has Boyd's stamped in it.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top