Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2016 12:00:31 AM EDT
I have a m1 garand that was gifted to me due to the fact that the Ole battle rifle has a hairline Crack on each side of the receiver heel on each side of the Springfield roll mark and serial number. I instructed him that this would be a hard sale and that it basically renders this Ole beaut all but inoperable. So after weighing his options he brought it to me and said he did not want to mess with it and to do what I wish with it.  I guess I know what I'm in for. I am guessing I can hang her up and look at her or I can order a 400.00 receiver and shoot her again. The thing is I have another awesome garand that is fully functioning and in good operating condition. It just hurts my heart to have an extra that is just a hanger. I guess I am just seeing if anyone has any information for me that I may not have already read. I am new to the garand rifle really and know that they are a little tricky to work on. Any advice would be welcomed. I may sell it or trade it to get something I can use or may want. I am open to about anything at this point.   Thanks
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 12:09:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Check out the CMP website and forum if you don't get answers here. Good luck and I have a birthday this month...hint, hint.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 12:41:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah checked them out today... a lot of options there... don't know if I wanna drop a lot into it... or just get what I can out of it and buy something else... I am a younger guy (32) but have an affinity for these rifles and their history. It just  seems sad that it has seen the end of the line... it has a production date of 1944.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 12:43:28 AM EDT
[#3]
They are not tricky to work on.  

Just buy a new receiver and have all your parts re installed on the new receiver.

And change the operating rod spring every 2000 rounds or so.  A weak op rod spring is the prime reason behind cracked receiver heels.

Or sell me your parts and I will install your parts on one of my receivers.

Don't be glum.  One way or another, your rifle will live again.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 12:48:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I guess I am just in the initial stages of figuring out what route u am gonna go with this thing as I just got it last night. Just something new to mess with. It's been interesting so far. My good one I got from my grandfather when he passed. It's a Cadillac. This one I was gifted last night it's a bit of a beater. What the story is on this new one is that it was a surplus rifle bought back in the 80s sometime .... it is a little rough but it would be a cool shooter...except for the whole being cracked thing
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 7:10:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Dont sell them to the Canuck as its illegal to ship parts out of the US without a export license. You can get yourself into trouble
If you decide you want to get it fixed into a shooter I can help you. You can get good receivers for less than $400.
If you want to sell the parts PM me, I may buy them or can tell you who will if I'm not interested
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 9:29:04 AM EDT
[#6]
That receiver is repairable.  Swap the receiver out and sell the cracked one to somebody who has the skill to make it good.

Ray
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 3:16:52 PM EDT
[#7]
If you got it at a good price, I didn't see a cost mentioned, go to Gunbroker.com and get a used receiver.  Swap all the parts across, and you should be GTG.  Granted, you'll need a few tools, but those can be had.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 4:02:30 PM EDT
[#8]
If the serial number is over 7,000,000 it's a new commercial production M1 from Springfield Armory, Geneseo, IL.

I have never seen cracked receivers on a military surplus Garand. That isn't to say it can't happen, I have seen M1-A's with receivers that broke off at the rear.

There are only a few people that can tig weld a receiver that I would trust. That will be much cheaper than any other option. One is based in Fairbanks, Alaska and should be easy to find, not many service rifle gunsmiths that far north.  I can't recall his name, but he bought up Glen Nelson's Custom Guns equipment, Columbus, GA when he passed away.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 5:57:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If the serial number is over 7,000,000 it's a new commercial production M1 from Springfield Armory, Geneseo, IL.

I have never seen cracked receivers on a military surplus Garand. That isn't to say it can't happen,

View Quote

I have, it happpens
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 7:40:25 PM EDT
[#10]
pics needed....
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:26:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:47:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Help clarify, what is considered "new"
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:51:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Help clarify, what is considered "new"
View Quote

A non military receiver.  What is the sn range?
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:52:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:09:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That receiver is repairable.  Swap the receiver out and sell the cracked one to somebody who has the skill to make it good.

Ray
View Quote

Can someone comment further on this?  Is it truly possible/wise to repair?  Given the cost of a replacement receiver I wouldn't bother, so this is more of an academic point.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:52:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If it's a new Springfield Armory (Inc.) receiver it has a lifetime warranty.  Send it them for free repairs.

-- Chuck
View Quote

I have a SAInc receiver with a problem.
After reading through the warranty verbage, it seems that they say the warranty only applies to the ORIGINAL buyer. It's me, so no problem there. Just a FYI.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 2:07:49 PM EDT
[#17]
I believe it is a bit older than that... it's in the 3.5 mil range... it has the cartouche stamped in the left side of the stock below the receiver marked S.A  N.F.R. which upon ivestigation dates it to 44-45. It also has the circle p stamped in the grip. It has the 2 distinct Springfield logos, one on the left side of the stock and a tiny one on the base of the pistol grip.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 2:27:36 PM EDT
[#18]
I agree with buying another, stripped receiver and transferring the parts over to it.

15-20 years ago I had my M1 rebarreled by Orion7. I sent the the stripped barreled action and new barrel to him. He installed the new one and returned the old barrel with the action wearing the new barrel. No reason he wouldn't do the same but with a spare receiver instead. He was very quick and very reasonably priced. Check him out for current prices and time.

Detail stripping a Garand is rather easy. The only thing you need special tools, other than the combo wrench for the sights, is removing and installing the barrel.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 3:52:09 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I believe it is a bit older than that... it's in the 3.5 mil range... it has the cartouche stamped in the left side of the stock below the receiver marked S.A  N.F.R. which upon ivestigation dates it to 44-45. It also has the circle p stamped in the grip. It has the 2 distinct Springfield logos, one on the left side of the stock and a tiny one on the base of the pistol grip.
View Quote
You are describing a "potentially" correct Garand... pics and more description of the parts would help.

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:13:27 PM EDT
[#20]
On an original U.S. WWII or post war contract receiver; NO it is not wise to try to repair. The steel used in the manufacturing of the M1 was specifically surface hardened to a very specific Rockwell hardness standard at a very specific surface depth. It was a complicated, techinical procedure that until finally worked out, improper heat treating was responsible for hundreds of rejects from govenment contracted manufacturers. Simply finding someone recommended to you as a good TIG welder is not enough. There is a lot more to repairing a receiver to original specifications and quality than simply welding it. This is not a motor bike/vehicle frame post collision repair.

Get a new or MPI (magnetic particle inspected) or untrasound checked and certified  good, within specs receiver w/o cracks or rewelds and rebuild the M1 with parts from a known reliable, honest vendor.  Reputable vendors sell only authentic original government receivers and a few actually have new receivers manufactured to original specification using original forged receivers that are then machined to the proper specs so all parts function properly.

Continued.....

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:15:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Part 2 answer regarding repair:

When M1 Garands became scarce due to government demil destruction by cutting receivers with a torch or with a cutting machine, the demilled parts were sold on the scrap metal market. Dishonest welders and fast buck artists literally bought the torched/cut receivers, aligned them poorly and rewelded and reparkerized them to look good. Many, many were disasters waiting to happen while firing due to lack of surface hardening, poor welds, misaligned parts, etc. the receiver you have that is cracked could be one of those demilled, rewelded scrap put togethers. Since the were "rebuilt" from original receivers, they have real serial numbers issued by the government to the contract manufacturers. So serial numbers do not matter. Those poorly redone demilled parts still show up from time to time.

Over pressure improperly loaded hand loaded ammunition has also been responsible for cracked receivers. There could be any number of causes for a cracked receiver. Whatever  the cause, it is unsafe to try to repair. Check out the Garand Collectors website and start your research for authentic, spec parts. They can be found, but don't expect them to go for pocket change.

I have been a M1 Garand collector for over 20 years and only know enough to know that what I don't know is a whole lot more than what I do know.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:52:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Have been kicking around all my options ...didn't know what I can get to sell as is....or part out ... I really would like to hold on to this. But there are a couple wants I have...  I guess it would be blasphemous to say I want an AK pistol....lol

I really do love these ...just seeing what I can do with her.... you guys have all been so helpful
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:49:34 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

You are describing a "potentially" correct Garand... pics and more description of the parts would help.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Details...

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:46:44 PM EDT
[#24]
I will see what I can get in the way of details when I get home from work today. I will also see what I can do in the way of posting some pictures. I gotta get some eyes on it. Let me know if yall have any questions about what details you want.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:03:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Here's a picture of the serial on the heel
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:36:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

After reading through the warranty verbage, it seems that they say the warranty only applies to the ORIGINAL buyer. It's me, so no problem there. Just a FYI.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If it's a new Springfield Armory (Inc.) receiver it has a lifetime warranty.  Send it them for free repairs.

-- Chuck

I think I remember reading that they are no longer able to work on their commercial Garands, and current practice is to give purchase credit toward a current manufacture M1A.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:39:19 AM EDT
[#27]
I posted a link it should be working. You can visibly see the cracks on either side of the heel. I also took detailed photos of all of the markings on the stock. This includes circle p, 2 Springfield logos, and the inspection stamp from the armory as well as the serial number on the reciever.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 4:28:04 PM EDT
[#28]
OP:

While the serial number does appear to be in the correct range for the stock markings, the rear sight has been replaced.  That suggests a mixture of parts.........

As far as the receiver, I won't mess with it.  Get a replacement.  

Part of why I say that is this:  So you spend the money to fix it and if it works..........It'd be yours from then on.  What I mean is if you ever tried to sell it, the value is gone.  Most people, me included, won't knowingly buy any welded etc parts.  If you forget the weld job, and try to sell it, then you are a "fake" etc and you won't get your money out either way.............  
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 6:02:36 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I posted a link it should be working. You can visibly see the cracks on either side of the heel. I also took detailed photos of all of the markings on the stock. This includes circle p, 2 Springfield logos, and the inspection stamp from the armory as well as the serial number on the reciever.
View Quote
Post markings on the other parts and if the oprod is cut or not.

Bore/muzzle condition as well...  it may not be worth the effort to restore...and only good for parts...

still need more info for an accurate assessment...

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 9:21:04 PM EDT
[#30]
The rifling seems to be good and crisp with a nice shine to the bore. I will check the op rod when I get home and see what we have. I may end up letting this one go for what I can get for it....I'll post some more pics later on
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:33:16 PM EDT
[#31]
OK the drawing number on the bolt is 6528287 hra which is a Harrington Richards bolt I take it. The trigger assembly is marked d28290-16-sa. Full length op rod stamped 6535382 hra also. The spring is not bent or worn as far as I can see, no dog legs. So if what I am reading is correct ...this is a mutt then. Lol. And the rec. Is springfield. If I am wrong please enlighten me.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:47:10 PM EDT
[#32]
barrel markings?
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:58:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
barrel markings?
View Quote

Where are they located
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:00:34 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Where are they located
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

barrel markings?

Where are they located
Pull oprod back..should be visible in that slot...otherwise you need to pull the rear handguard and they will be on the top of the barrel.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:15:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Marked on barrel S-A-9-46
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:55:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Mixed parts anyway, no reason not to replace the receiver if you want to keep the rifle. It's at the point it's basically a parts kit, if it was me I'd turn it into a rifle again.

ETA-if you part it out, don't take the barrel off with a pipe wrench. Have someone who has the right tools do it. You have a usable 40s barrel, might as well keep it that way.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:02:52 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Marked on barrel S-A-9-46
View Quote
Decent valuable parts.... Probably worth more as parts.

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 2:37:44 PM EDT
[#38]
I don't even know how to begin putting a value on it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 4:12:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I don't even know how to begin putting a value on it.
View Quote

Look, it's not hard to do all this research yourself.

Go on Gunbroker, Ebay, the CMP forums, etc. and see how much parts like yours have sold for.  The forum prices tend to be a little more reasonable (read: lower) than GB or Ebay.  Ammogarand.com (aka Packrats) is a pretty good ad-hoc catalog of parts and relative prices.  

There are numerous online sources of info on evaluating wear, dimensions, etc.

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 4:24:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Shoot me a PM with asking price of the whole rifle.I am always lookinig for another project.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 5:06:16 PM EDT
[#41]
I am basically starting from zero on these old rifles. I don't know if some parts are worth more than others. I don't know what parts are more valuable , what brands are more sought after. I am going to you guys to fill in the blanks. Online I have tend to find both ends of the spectrum. The same part may be so much here and listed 100 bucks less somewhere else. Everyone has been awesome in pointing me in the right direction. The information has been priceless so please bear with me. I am just trying to decide what direction I wanna go while learning all the info I can on these so when it comes to tinkering with my good m1 I will have the best knowledge possible.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 5:25:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Ammogarands prices are high. You wont ever get those prices out of your parts. Best bet is to look at prices on gun forums in private sales as thats were you will be selling.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 1:41:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Ammogarands prices are high. You wont ever get those prices out of your parts. Best bet is to look at prices on gun forums in private sales as thats were you will be selling.
View Quote

Agreed, that's why I said relative prices.

The site is useful for a noob to see pics of the parts, proper names, different makers and drawing numbers, etc.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 11:48:41 AM EDT
[#44]

It looks like somebody at some point marked it with red paint. Possibly to identify it as damaged?

Link Posted: 2/16/2016 11:55:57 AM EDT
[#45]
Nice SA cross cannon cartouche on your stock. It appears the heel crack follows the grain in the metal.

Shame about the cracks.

Link Posted: 2/16/2016 11:59:22 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 1:23:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Man I hate it too... damn shame... such an awesome rifle ... this situation has tought me so much about these rifles though. I can start going through my good one and messing with it now.  Now I guess I decide if I wanna hang it up or order a receiver or part it out and sell it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 8:29:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Man I hate it too... damn shame... such an awesome rifle ... this situation has tought me so much about these rifles though. I can start going through my good one and messing with it now.  Now I guess I decide if I wanna hang it up or order a receiver or part it out and sell it.
View Quote

Just get another receiver and rebuild it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top