Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2016 10:51:05 AM EDT
I've decided to refinish my M1's stock, but need to decide between raw linseed oil or tung oil... anyone have experiences to share with these two options?

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:03:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Personally I would (and did) use boiled linseed oil.  Now every so often I apply a little bees wax to keep the walnut from drying or cracking.  If I had to choose between the two I'd go tongue oil simply for the fact it does give it the more natural look and it doesn't take weeks to cure.  What ever way you go just remember light coats.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:12:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Use boiled linseed oil NOT raw linseed oil.  Just slather it on generously, then wipe off any excess.  Add more to the "dry spots" (end grain really soaks it up).  Repeat until no more is absorbed.  BLO dries in about 24 hours.

I wouldn't put wax on my stock.  It will melt in the sun and the handguards get really hot when firing, so, again, the wax will melt.

I wouldn't use tung oil.  I found it forms too much of a film which I did not like.

My question for you is this - do you want the relatively rough texture of a military stock or do you want a smooth rifle stock?
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:17:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Tung, for heaven's sake!
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:19:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tung, for heaven's sake!
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:27:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Since this is arfcom, I say "get both"!

Historically, I think this is the way it was done anyway.  The stocks were finished with tung oil during production.  Boiled linseed oil was used in the field to maintain the finish.

Some one correct me if I am wrong, but I believe this was the practice.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:35:51 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Tung, for heaven's sake!
View Quote

Yes!

But get the good stuff.  http://www.realmilkpaint.com/products/oils/tung-oil-wood-finishes/

And take your time.  I did a raw laminated stock on a precision rifle build and it sucked up ten coats before it was even close to being finished.  Properly sanding and letting each coat dry made it a months-long process.  But it was worth it.

My M1 is next.

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:43:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 12:14:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Why boiled vs raw linseed?  I've read that RLO is how the original M1 production stocks were finished (later switched to tung - yes I fixed the spelling), and that boiled does not render the same aging qualities...

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 12:18:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 12:42:12 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why boiled vs raw linseed?  I've read that RLO is how the original M1 production stocks were finished (later switched to tung - yes I fixed the spelling), and that boiled does not render the same aging qualities...

Here you go.
http://thecmp.org/training-tech/armorers-corner/wood-cleaning-article/#4

I believe there is a trojan at the link according to Kaspersky anyway.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 12:54:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 4:25:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Use boiled linseed oil NOT raw linseed oil.  Just slather it on generously, then wipe off any excess.  Add more to the "dry spots" (end grain really soaks it up).  Repeat until no more is absorbed.  BLO dries in about 24 hours.

I wouldn't put wax on my stock.  It will melt in the sun and the handguards get really hot when firing, so, again, the wax will melt.

I wouldn't use tung oil.  I found it forms too much of a film which I did not like.

My question for you is this - do you want the relatively rough texture of a military stock or do you want a smooth rifle stock?
View Quote

beeswax. You can also make your own using a mixture on BLO, tung oil, and bee wax
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 9:57:25 PM EDT
[#13]
I like pure Tung Oil.  BLO takes ages to dry.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:25:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Raw linseed oil will be tacky for a LONG time. BLO is what I use but even it needs a good week to dry without the warmth from your hands melting it again. BLO does a good job though.

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:34:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:15:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here you go.
http://thecmp.org/training-tech/armorers-corner/wood-cleaning-article/#4

Yeap... clicking that link infected my rig with 3 exploits..

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:36:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:42:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Real Milk pure tung oil. Don't use the standard hardware store tung oil.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 9:21:04 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote
Missed this question earlier... looking for something closer to an authentic finish, so the former rather than the latter...

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 9:35:19 AM EDT
[#20]
The basic difference between the two, RLO/BLO and Tung Oil is that RLO/BLO will gradually turn color(oxidize) with age and exposure to the sun.  It will turn that deep reddish brown of old military stocks.  RLO will turn color quicker than BLO, but BLO will still turn color.  Most Tung Oils do not change color, or change as much as the others, and are slightly better at moisture repelling.
If it is a walnut stock, and I want a military look, I will completely strip the stock, then add one liberal coat of RLO(flaxseed oil is the same thing, only food grade).  Rub it on briskly, let it set for about 10 - 20 minutes, then wipe the excess off with a rag.  Let it dry over night.  I say over night, but then I live in a "desert" on the West Coast so stuff dries quicker here.  Once it has pretty much "dried"(RLO/BLO never really "dry"), I will repeat the process several times with a covering of BLO.  Which has hardeners and driers in it to help it keep from being tacky.  But, just wipe off the excess and the rifle won't be tacky.
If the stock is Birch, and it has flame/figure I want to show off, I will use Tung Oil(for a shiney finish) or Teak Oil(more subdued finish).
But, a true "military" finish can be either RLO or Tung, as the military used both.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 9:43:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Since this is arfcom, I say "get both"!

Historically, I think this is the way it was done anyway.  The stocks were finished with tung oil during production.  Boiled linseed oil was used in the field to maintain the finish.

Some one correct me if I am wrong, but I believe this was the practice.
View Quote

Springfield Armory ( the original) used boiled Linseed oil to finish their stocks. They were using BLO on stocks since they became the primary armory for the U.S. military.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:15:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Don't use raw linseed oil.  It never dries/hardens.  

BLO or tung oil will be fine but I use BLO and prefer it to tung oil.  

I would never put bee's wax on my rifle stock.  Bee's wax has a low melting point.  It's marginally fine for furniture but it almost melts in your hand - not good for a rifle in the sun and/or a hot barrel.  It won't hurt the rifle but you may not like the results.

Just for concept development -

Raw linseed oil, mixed with "whiting", is/was used as a glazier's putty to hold glass in window frame.  The oil never gets hard, so repairing the glass is possible.  

Linseed oil comes from the seeds of the flax plant.  You can buy edible grades of raw linseed oil.  

Boiled linseed oil is the carrier, the base, for oil-based paints.  It has chemicals in it to force it to harden (cure).  Pigments, emollients, etc are added to BLO to give it color and make "paint".  The stuff I use cures in 24 hours.  The additives in BLO make it a poison (some are lead-based but all are toxic).

Do not confuse the two.  Both are sold in paint stores.

If you already know all this stuff, please excuse my feeble attempt to provide info.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:46:07 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I would never put bee's wax on my rifle stock.  Bee's wax has a low melting point.  It's marginally fine for furniture but it almost melts in your hand - not good for a rifle in the sun and/or a hot barrel.  It won't hurt the rifle but you may not like the results.

Raw linseed oil, mixed with "whiting", is/was used as a glazier's putty to hold glass in window frame.  The oil never gets hard, so repairing the glass is possible.  

Linseed oil comes from the seeds of the flax plant.  You can buy edible grades of raw linseed oil.  

Boiled linseed oil is the carrier, the base, for oil-based paints.  It has chemicals in it to force it to harden (cure).  Pigments, emollients, etc are added to BLO to give it color and make "paint".  The stuff I use cures in 24 hours.  The additives in BLO make it a poison (some are lead-based but all are toxic).

If you already know all this stuff, please excuse my feeble attempt to provide info.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

All the info is helpful... if nothing else it provides context... the drying info / experiences folks have provided is interesting... I don't want a sticky, stinky rifle.

As an aside, I sent CMP and email regarding the virus issue on the their link.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:11:09 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I like pure Tung Oil.  BLO takes ages to dry.
View Quote

That's because BLO evaporates, while Tung Oil polymerizes.

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 4:13:53 PM EDT
[#25]
I used BLO on both of my M1s and like the end result. I have no experience with tung oil.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 4:35:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Here's the why and wherefors:  http://www.garandgear.com/m1-garand-new-oil-finish
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 8:41:33 PM EDT
[#27]
I've used tung on a few CMP Garand stocks and liked the results
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 1:58:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Good infor on the CMP site.  If the link above is corrupt, just search out CMP and you should be able to find their "how to" on stocks.  Some of it depends if you want to refinish (strip down and reapply) or restore/protect.  I did some original WWI M1 carbine stocks and chose the Tung Oil (real tung, from the milkpaint link someone above had) and it worked well.  You can rub the oil in and it can clean off some of the built up grime (can do same with linseed

http://forums.thecmp.org/ is the CMP forum

http://thecmp.org/training-tech/armorers-corner/wood-cleaning-article/ is the CMP wood cleaning article

Made those hot and cold in case my link is corrupted (should not be)
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 5:20:22 PM EDT
[#29]
The first few I did with boiled linseed oil.  Turned out okay.

Be sure you do not toss the used rags (application or wiping off) in the trash or lay them anywhere they can catch some thing else on fire.  Sometimes BLO rags will spontaneously combust as the BLO dries out.  I used to put mine in a water bucket (with water in it) outside my shed.

I stopped using BLO when I was working on a couple H&R M1 Garands.  The wood was walnut, but for some reason it just kept looking like I'd sandblasted it.  I asked a buddy who had been building M1As and working on stocks for several years how to fix them.  He said to use tung oil.  I asked him about stripping the BLO off first and he said there was no need, just put the tung oil right on top of the dull/ugly looking BLO.  It worked great.  It was shining up in about 3 coats and another 3 after that gave me some pretty wood on those two H&R's.

I've used Tung oil ever since (two more M1 Garands).
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:03:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Pics of results from different products?
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 4:38:27 PM EDT
[#31]
I was not having any luck with tung oil. My garand walnut stock just kept soaking it up.

Maybe I quit too soon, I don't know.

Real Milk Paint Tung Oil

One coat of 1:1 turpentine & tung oil and 2 coats of 100% tung oil.

I gave up and bought some BLO.  This is with just one coat right on top  the tung oil.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 6:00:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Nice!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 6:12:09 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I was not having any luck with tung oil. My garand walnut stock just kept soaking it up.

Maybe I quit too soon, I don't know.

Real Milk Paint Tung Oil

One coat of 1:1 turpentine & tung oil and 2 coats of 100% tung oil.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h163/bc5000/IMG_5517_zpsm3syerxz.jpg

I gave up and bought some BLO.  This is with just one coat right on top  the tung oil.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h163/bc5000/IMG_5527_zpsmywrknwu.jpg
View Quote

You won't get a glossy finish with Tung Oil.

Like I said above, I put 10 coats on my raw laminate stock before it even began to look like it was finished.  (and I feel I could have easily done 5 more...)

It took forever.  This is the best pic I have.  I can take more if anyone wants.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top