Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/23/2015 9:46:28 PM EDT
I am looking at adding a supressor to my M1A.  Is there any thing special that needs to be done?
Adjusting the gas system, etc?  
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 10:27:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 11:26:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I just suppressed mine and added a Schuster adjustable gas plug. It turned out to be an awesome investment.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 11:33:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been running a can on my 16.25" M14 since 2011.
I run the Smith Enterprise extra volume gas plug.
Blow-back can be an issue, I use the M3 breech shield.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 11:38:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got a HVT-QD for my M1A, so I needed to get a new muzzle device.  Got Gemtech's Quickmount; looks like the old Phantom flash hider.

Then, seeing as how the mount requires you to remove the front sight, got a Smith gaslock front sight.

Then, seeing as how the M1A will send volume of gas to your face, picked up a few USGI breech shields (part of the blank firing toolkit).

The design of the rifle doesn't lend itself particularly well to supression; the open action adds some noise.

ETA, still using standard gas plug and it works fine.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 9:42:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Well that sort of runs the gammit... Yes and No.  lol

I have the detachable muzzle break for my rifle so I can put the original back in place.  

Guess I will give it a whirl and see if I have any issues.  Buy the adjustable plug if needed.

Thanks all...
Taz
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top